Remember-Elias traded Tanner Scott 2 years ago for garbage. Good drafter. Horrible GM when it comes to trades.

With your logic, Elias’s trades last year worked out well because we got Flaherty without giving up much and now Flaherty is having a good year this year and the dodgers gave up more to land him.

5 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

This is such a silly thread but it’s par for the course for certain posters. 

Again, instead of personally insulting like you always do.  Please explain to me why this was such a good trade for the Os.

Give me logic and facts.  Not attacks.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

One thing I have always been confused by is why Elias does not get more flack for trading Tanner Scott in 2022 for absolute garbage.  The trades today imo amplify in my mind that he should not be the head person in charge of all things Os. Great scout.  Bad GM.   I honestly think he has no idea what he is doing when it comes to trades.  Just today he traded two higher up prospects for a guy who is VERY average....at best.  And who cannot help us in the playoffs.  And then traded for a journeyman OF who will once again.....only block prospects. 

Make that make sense. 

But the Tanner Scott trade?  This is the King of all bad trades.  Other than the Curt Schilling trade, this may be the single worst Os trade of all time.  I remember thinking to myself when I read what he was traded for..."that's it'?  It made no sense.  Everyone could see that Scott had major strike out ability and that pitchers who strike people out are valuable,  and yet they literally gave him way.

Baltimore on Sunday night traded left-hander Tanner Scott and right-hander Cole Sulser -- a pair of relievers expected to get save opportunities this season and with multiple years left under team control -- to the Marlins in exchange for a Competitive Balance Round B Draft pick, two prospects and a player to be named later.

Heading to the O’s are left-hander Antonio Velez and outfielder Kevin Guerrero, neither of whom are within the Marlins’ Top 30 Prospects, as ranked by MLB Pipeline.

I will never understand what in the world Elias was thinking with this trade, and I am starting to wonder if he has any idea what he is thinking with any trades. 

My confidence in him is waning....quickly. 

Scott is 29 and his top 3 bb-ref comps are Mike Stanton, Will Smith and Antonio Bastardo. Any references to the Glenn Davis trade with him as the only real value being lost has to be hyperbole for effect or just being silly.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The point is after today's trades by Elias.....which I think completely sawked.  Combined with last years deadline trades.....which we KNOW sawked?

He gave away to higher level prospects for a 5th starter.  And then made a trade for a guy who is useless and will only block our prospects.

IMO he should not be making trades.

Making 1 out of 4 good trades, like with the Bundy trade, is not being a good GM.  That is being a bad GM. 

Guess you forgot about the 2022 trade dead line, got Povich ,Mcdermott, Cano and Seth Johnson for scraps on the package, Just flipped Johnson for what could be a very serviceable BP arm, Did not need to use a roster spot either.

6 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

With your logic, Elias’s trades last year worked out well because we got Flaherty without giving up much and now Flaherty is having a good year this year and the dodgers gave up more to land him.

6 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

There is a huge difference between trading for a proven solid major league pitcher like Flaherty  for not much compared to trading away a high strike out prospect for nothing. 

I don't even blame Elias for trading for Flaherty. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

In what world is a 26 year old that had 4 full seasons under their belt a prospect? lol

A 26 year old high strikeout pitcher isn't a 'prospect'?

Really??  Do you want to go with that narrative?

• Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Scott is 29 and his top 3 bb-ref comps are Mike Stanton, Will Smith and Antonio Bastardo. Any references to the Glenn Davis trade with him as the only real value being lost has to be hyperbole for effect or just being silly.

I would say the Marlins, and now the San Diego Padres, would strongly disagree with that assessment.   Especially considering the Padres just gave up 3 of their top 6 prospects to get him. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

People need to stop spinning this narrative.  No he wasn't awful.  He averaged well over a strikeout an inning as a prospect.  Again....a PROSPECT.

And the point of my thread is, as I said 2 years ago....why even trade him in the first place?  It made no sense. I would not have traded him period.    Elias keeps preaching he needs high rev, high strikeout guys....and yet he traded away maybe the highest strikeout guy we had in our system.

My guess is he wasn't one of 'his guys' so he said sayonara. 

It’s not spin. He was bad. Strikeouts don’t mean that much when your pitching to nearly a 5 era. He wasn’t a prospect. He spent 4+ seasons with the Orioles. 

Now you’re moving the goalposts. First it was the worst trade of all time. Now it’s, why did they trade him at all. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Guess you forgot about the 2022 trade dead line, got Povich ,Mcdermott, Cano and Seth Johnson for scraps on the package, Just flipped Johnson for what could be a very serviceable BP arm, Did not need to use a roster spot either.

Cano worked out.  I liked Johnson.  As I said he bats around .250 as a trader being a GM.  I don't consider that great.  You at least need .500.  At a min. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

There is a huge difference between trading for a proven solid major league pitcher like Flaherty  for not much compared to trading away a high strike out prospect for nothing. 

I don't even blame Elias for trading for Flaherty. 

A 2nd rd comp pick is valuable.  Scott was also not as good when we traded him and wasn’t good his first year with the Marlins.

9 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again, instead of personally insulting like you always do.  Please explain to me why this was such a good trade for the Os.

Give me logic and facts.  Not attacks.

No one is insulting you. I’m just saying this is the type of thread you make. Post something outlandish just for clicks. It’s engagement farming. 

No one is claiming it was a good or bad trade. You’re complaining about the trade return for a reliever that pitched to a nearly 5 era and walked 5.5 per 9. All because that same pitcher is improved and got a better return. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

It’s not spin. He was bad. Strikeouts don’t mean that much when your pitching to nearly a 5 era. He wasn’t a prospect. He spent 4+ seasons with the Orioles. 

Now you’re moving the goalposts. First it was the worst trade of all time. Now it’s, why did they trade him at all. 

Ok.  So lets go with your reasoning.  It was a great trade for the Os.  You can spin that anyway you want.....we will go with it. 

It was a great trade and you all would have done it!!!!

So you are then saying that Elias and the people he hired to develop pitchers sawked right?    Because I mean you can't have it both ways.

Either Elias did not see the talent in Scott, or he failed to develop him. 

Which one is it? 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

No one is insulting you. I’m just saying this is the type of thread you make. Post something outlandish just for clicks. It’s engagement farming. 

No one is claiming it was a good or bad trade. You’re complaining about the trade return for a reliever that pitched to a nearly 5 era and walked 5.5 per 9. All because that same pitcher is improved and got a better return. 

Why do you think I care about clicks?  Do I look like a teenager to you?  I could give a flying F about clicks.  My god.  In fact I hate social media in general and think it is killing this country. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1