Are We a Better Team Now?

Jagwar

Starting rotation is much stronger in the #5 slot (Rogers), and better at #3 (Eflin).

Bullpen pushes Irvin out, Soto in. Suarez in, probably Smith optioned. Domínguez is an upgrade over Baker, too.

Jimenez improves the O’s marginally as a PH/DH type against lefties. 

Right now they’re weaker at 2B with Vavra, but I presume Holliday comes up soon.

Pache is a defensive/PR replacement, occasional hitter against righties. 

Overall better.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Of course the rotation is better.  The bullpen is probably better but we'll have to wait and see.  The bigger question is are we better enough to make it to the WS.  

The playoff tournament is a crap shoot. Just a matter of the team getting hot right at the right time. Remember the A's have thrown up 20 and 19 runs in games this year. Bottle that up for 3 weeks and you win the series. Extreme example but basically the point is get into the playoffs and roll the dice from there. 

17 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Starting rotation is much stronger in the #5 slot (Rogers), and better at #3 (Eflin).

Bullpen pushes Irvin out, Soto in. Suarez in, probably Smith optioned. Domínguez is an upgrade over Baker, too.

Jimenez improves the O’s marginally as a PH/DH type against lefties. 

Right now they’re weaker at 2B with Vavra, but I presume Holliday comes up soon.

Pache is a defensive/PR replacement, occasional hitter against righties. 

Overall better.

Interested to see if Slater and Other Soto are added to the major league roster and who gets pushed off the roster if so.

I don’t know how anyone can look at Dominguez/Soto/Eflin/Rogers versus Baker/Irvin/Suarez/Povich and not see the marked improvement that represents. Just the two relief pitchers alone have made the squad much much better. What is even the counterpoint to that?

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I'm really serious. Are the O's better post-deadline?

The last 6 weeks especially when Kremer was out it felt like ok Burnes and GRod the first two games then hope for rain the next three.  Now we have 5 guys I think could win every start.  So yes we are a lot better.  We shouldn’t see Povich, Irvin, McDermott, or Suarez struggling to get through the 4th on 80 pitches.  

100% better and imo i see any improvements and keeping Cowser,Mayo, Holliday, Kjerstad, Bradfield, Basallo as a win — Elias got a few guys with years of control and i love keeping the top prospects and getting some stop gap players in the there to give us a shot this year and then give the new ownership an offseason to prove himself.