2024 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Sanfran327

2 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I could be wrong but I believe Santander could be 4th round. I was looking at last years and only the top free agents netted first round picks.

Santa has to sign for more than $50 million guaranteed to net us a 1st rd pick.  It's looking like he will.  It's safe to say that 3yr $50+ million is his floor.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Santa has to sign for more than $50 million guaranteed to net us a 1st rd pick.  It's looking like he will.  It's safe to say that 3yr $50+ million is his floor.  

That doesn’t seem right. Chapman got 3 @54 and netted 4th. Hader got 5@95.

Elias had some good, mild spin last night on the broadcast that I liked. He said that, of all the starting pitchers traded with more than 1 year of control, Eflin was the best and Rogers was probably the next best guy available. 

Can't really argue with that, especially on Eflin. 

I think when evaluating this trade deadline you have to be real about where the orioles were.

1. The orioles had a lot of rebuild to do given injuries. 3 SP, super util, 1 high leverage RP in season.

2.  Despite the "strongest" farm in the game the Orioles have gotten next to nothing out of their rookies this year, with Cowser being the one notable, but wholly inconsistent contributor.

3.  This was a historic sellers market thanks to the third WC.  Obviously the price tags on top tier talents were astronomical.  No one traded a top 100 prospect to meet those prices.

Given all that I think the Orioles acquitted themselves well and made additions that can contribute for multiple seasons.  For me this trade deadline was like 20% for this year and 80% for next, and I am fine with that.

• Upvote 2

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

This is his 3rd year in the majors.  Doesn't every player have 3 option years?

His transaction log says he was added to the 40-man roster and optioned in 2012 without playing in the big leagues (before being DFAd by the Rays), then optioned in 2016 and 2017. 

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

2.  Despite the "strongest" farm in the game the Orioles have gotten next to nothing out of their rookies this year, with Cowser being the one notable, but wholly inconsistent contributor.

It's hard to argue "next to nothing" when we have the dude that's favored for the AL ROY currently.  Too high of expectations? 

We're bringing Holliday back.  This is the time where we all thought Holliday would be up anyway.  Norby and Kjerstad provided us some offense while they were up.  Povich and McDermott did about as expected for swingmen.  

Don't sleep on Holliday.  This time is setting up quite differently.  All the eyes are on the traded for players and not just him.  He's just one of 8 moves now.  Not "the" move.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don-t think any QO signings get 1st round picks any more.  I think it's 2nd to 4th or 5th.

Picks after the first round but before the comp rd A.  We're a revenue sharing team plus Santa/Burnes will get 50+ million total.  

19 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I don’t want to lose Smith. I think they could be sneaky and put Suarez in DL with leg contusion.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure Smith goes…at least he shouldn’t. He has looked good.

Akin has an option.