Westburg Fractured Right Hand

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

Makes no sense. Soto is a lefty. He’s not playing against a RHP over Gunnar/Holliday and probably not against a LHP either. Literally just seems like an injury replacement. 

Urias 3B
Gunnar SS
Holliday 2B

Soto is the new Urias, UTIL IF on the bench and gives Gunnar a day off because he can play SS. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Aug 31. 

I don’t think that’s right. ROY eligibility is less than 45 days and less than 130 ABs (not PAs). It should be mid-August as the earliest date for service time, but if called up then he just can’t play literally every game or he’d exceed the AB threshold.

August 31 is the day they need to be on the 40-man to be postseason eligible (if not replacing an injured player, which he could do with Mateo anyway).

• Upvote 1

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/rookie-eligibility

Rookie Eligibility

DefinitionA player shall be considered a rookie unless he has exceeded any of the following thresholds in a previous season (or seasons):

• 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues.
• 45 total days on an active Major League roster during the Championship Season (excluding time on the Injured List).

A player must have rookie eligibility to be considered for any MLB rookie awards -- such as the American League or National League Rookie of the Year Award -- or appear on any MLB Pipeline prospect lists.

I think we’ll see Soto for a couple weeks, Mayo will go back to playing 3B everyday in AAA and Mayo come up once there are less than 45 days left in the season. So, maybe in the middle of the vs. BOS series August 15-18, or shortly after that but before August 31. 

7 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I don’t think that’s right. ROY eligibility is less than 45 days and less than 130 ABs (not PAs). It should be mid-August as the earliest date for service time, but if called up then he just can’t play literally every game or he’d exceed the AB threshold.

August 31 is the day they need to be on the 40-man to be postseason eligible (if not replacing an injured player, which he could do with Mateo anyway).

Gotcha. Honestly I was just parroting what I saw floating around here haha. Good fact check.

7 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I think we’ll see Soto for a couple weeks, Mayo will go back to playing 3B everyday in AAA and Mayo come up once there are less than 45 days left in the season. So, maybe in the middle of the vs. BOS series August 15-18, or shortly after that but before August 31. 

This is my prediction as well.

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

Urias 3B
Gunnar SS
Holliday 2B

Soto is the new Urias, UTIL IF on the bench and gives Gunnar a day off because he can play SS. 

I get that he can play 2B or SS, but he’s likely worse at all three positions than the guys listed above, against both RHP’s and LHP’s. 

Just seems like a waste of a roster spot to have a guy as a potential injury replacement on defense and maybe starting 1/2 times a week, when you could legitimately bring up Mayo to help platoon Holliday against LHP’a and start against RHP’s at 3B.

Not arguing or saying you agree with it, but he seems like more of an injury/defensive replacement than an actual UTIL IF who can provide some sort of advantage to the team. 

11 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Mayo at 3B in the Norfolk lineup today

1 hour ago, CTBear said:

I want Mayo so badly but Gunnar is already killing the left side of our infield. If he truly can’t play 3B well, he absolutely cannot be our everyday guy there. To me, I’m way less concerned about having Mayo and Jackson both adjusting to MLB pitching at the same time. I see Vavra has barely played 3B this year and Livan Soto hasn’t at all this year so I’m not sure those are the guys either

The thing about GH is I really don't see him being a bad SS.  I mean to me he has always been a very good SS.  Just for whatever reason, he has an extreme case of the yips right now.  And for anyone who has golfed?  They will know what that means.

Zero confidence and as a result even the simplest things, like a 2 foot putt or fielding a grounder or a throw to first base seems problematic.

He will come out of it.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The thing about GH is I really don't see him being a bad SS.  I mean to me he has always been a very good SS.  Just for whatever reason, he has an extreme case of the yips right now.  And for anyone who has golfed?  They will no what that means.

Zero confidence and as a result even the simplest things, like a 2 foot putt or fielding a grounder or a throw to first base seems problematic.

He will come out of it.

I agree.  It’s a bad spell but it won’t last however.   

The offense is clicking right now with Cowser, Mullins, and Urias all hitting well.  The defense has been suspect lately so it is a good decision to bring in guys that could help defensively.  If the Offense was still struggling like it was before all star break you bring up Mayo imo.