Offer Anthony Santander 3 year 60 million contract

Ditto what @Just Regular said.  I think the non-trade of Cowser & Kjerstad gave a pretty solid clue into the team's direction in the OF.  Had they traded Kjerstad, I think I'd be on board with a 3/60 type deal.  But I don't feel like we are missing out on a 29-year-old coming off a career year.  The writing is on the wall that his decline is rapidly approaching (see his year-to-year sprint speed).  He's not a young buck anymore and he's right at the age where father time starts to take his toll.  

• Upvote 2

I think let him go then I think Nelson Cruz. I also think there's something to be said for re-signing a fan favorite and a guy who I think is developing into a real team leader, especially for the Latin guys and there's a very important one coming in Basallo. A 3/$60 deal would be great but I don't think that gets it done. I'd go as high 3/$70 but probably not beyond that. 

You don't pay for a career year.  I love Santander but this would be a buy-high scenario.  I don't know what our bottom line budget is but giving a good chunk of it to a guy heading into his 30's is not a smart move, as painful as it will be to let him walk.

• Upvote 1

This upcoming FA pool looks deeper than usual. Just with outfielders you're looking at Juan Soto, Teoscar Hernandez, Cody Bellinger (opt out), Michael Conforto, Alex Verdugo, and Max Kepler as options along with Santander. Tony may benefit signing now, or risk running into what Teoscar ran into last year and end up having to sign a 1 year deal. Granted, Tony is younger and will likely be coming off a better year. But he may have more competition. I'd do a 3-60 deal if he'd take it. I think that's minimal risk for us, even if his profile screams Mark Trumbo. We can absorb that kind of miss for a couple years if he Trumbo'd out. In the end I think he goes for broke and hopes for a 4-100 type deal (even if it's unlikely).

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

He'll get more years and total dollars

He may finish in the top 5 for AL MVP, definitely top 10

I like Santander and he's having a great season, but I think it's safe to say there is literally no chance he's top 5 in MVP voting.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

What makes you think that 3 years would be enough?

I'm counting on Anthony giving the Orioles a discount especially since he has been with the Orioles for so long. I know Anthony enjoys playing with the Orioles and doesn't want to leave. If he won't sign for three years at 60-70 million then I would gladly allow him to leave.

• Upvote 1

I want the O's to spend that money on pitching and extensions for our 22 to 26 year old players, not Santander. He's had a fabulous career with the O's, but he's not a player I'd tie up 10 to 20% of my budget with when there are replacements waiting in the wings and glaring needs elsewhere on the club.

I can see the reasoning for not resigning Anthony after the season. I just worry about our offense next year if we don't bring him back. The defense might also suffer as well because Anthony has played excellent defense in RF this year. I'm starting to become more convinced that we need to bring him back. Why can't we resign Anthony and put Cowser in CF and open up LF for one of the younger players? That to me makes the most sense.

I would prefer not to make the same mistake we made with Davis.  Overpay for a 29-year old power hitter coming off a career year or two,  partially because he is a "fan favorite"

We will need money to resign our core, and patch up holes in FA.  

Part of the reason we have been so competitive this year is because of Burnes, and he's likely gone after this year and we have no replacement. 

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we go with Cowser and Kjerstad in the corners next year with Mullins in CF.  Take the comp pick  I just hope Santa signs with an NL team.  Giants?  Mets?

I could see him being a Yankee if they don't re-sign Soto.

I really like Tony, hope he’s with the team longer and his bat would be missed. He’s only 29 which is wild. Last time we hesitated with “aging vets” was with Cruz and Marsakis. Cruz was 33 at the time and went on to have 4 excellent seasons. Even a slight decline in Tony’s performance seems worth it for a contract thrown around here 3-4 years. I just am not sure he takes that.