Offer Anthony Santander 3 year 60 million contract

5 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Santander's grand slam increased the O's win probability from 34.5 percent to 87.1 percent, according to MLB.com, a 52.6% increase.  

That has to be one of the most impactful plays in MLB this season, right?  I wonder what the record is.  

0.923 WPA is the highest.

Tony's HR was an inning early.

The top 300 (at least) are all walk offs.

Edited by Can_of_corn

46 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Santander's grand slam increased the O's win probability from 34.5 percent to 87.1 percent, according to MLB.com, a 52.6% increase.  

That has to be one of the most impactful plays in MLB this season, right?  I wonder what the record is.  

It may be the biggest hit of this season. Is this the game that turns these guys around?

• Upvote 3

We need to keep Santander and I strongly believed that before his heroics tonight, Grand Slam.  I know many on the board do not give him his due for this team, but look at the HRs and RBIs the Yanks can throw at the opposition, and then without him look what the Orioles have left to throw at their opposition.  We should hope that some of our minor league sluggers mature quicker than seems the case at this  point in time.  

I don’t know if it will make sense to beat all bidders for a 30-year-old who doesn’t give you much on defense coming off a 40+ HR season.

But if we’re going to give a “bad” deal to anyone at this point, this would be the guy. I love everything about this dude. I think he’s the leader of the team. He has a connection with every single guy on the roster. And when we’ve needed a hero over the last couple seasons, more often than not, it’s #25 that steps up.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

I don’t know if it will make sense to beat all bidders for a 30-year-old who doesn’t give you much on defense coming off a 40+ HR season.

But if we’re going to give a “bad” deal to anyone at this point, this would be the guy. I love everything about this dude. I think he’s the leader of the team. He has a connection with every single guy on the roster. And when we’ve needed a hero over the last couple seasons, more often than not, it’s #25 that steps up.

Nope, let him walk and take your pick. Unless, he gives a team friendly deal. Our money needs to be in pitching and you hope the hitters you drafted mature.

• Upvote 1

The risk with paying Santander is his new contract value being based on him having a career year power wise. Do we think Santander is more likely to repeat this year's performance or will he be more like his 2022-23 version? Odds are this is Santander's career year and while he'll be decent next season don't expect this level of production to be the norm going forward.

The idea of signing Santander to a big contract reminds me of what happened with Trumbo after leading the league in home runs in 2016. While I think Santander is likely to play better players like him tend to hit the wall fast. Also Santander isn't a very good defensive player. He's not a butcher like Trumbo, but his range his limited and that will only decline with age.

Maybe a three year deal, but I think you take the comp pick for him and invest that money in pitching and contract extensions for the younger Orioles.

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It may be the biggest hit of this season. Is this the game that turns these guys around?

If they can just tread water for the next five games, there’s a chance for the O’s to go on a run between the schedule lightening up and the team hopefully getting healthier.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gotta pay someone. We’ve been conditioned by previous ownership to “not overpay” even if that means losing. When do we deserve to “over pay” to win?

I can live with an overpay if it’s a short term deal. Anything over three years for Santander is a big risk.

It’s not exactly apples to apples, as Santander is younger and he has a decent floor offensively, but look at the Jose Abreu deal for the Astros.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The risk with paying Santander is his new contract value being based on him having a career year power wise. Do we think Santander is more likely to repeat this year's performance or will he be more like his 2022-23 version? Odds are this is Santander's career year and while he'll be decent next season don't expect this level of production to be the norm going forward.

The idea of signing Santander to a big contract reminds me of what happened with Trumbo after leading the league in home runs in 2016. While I think Santander is likely to play better players like him tend to hit the wall fast. Also Santander isn't a very good defensive player. He's not a butcher like Trumbo, but his range his limited and that will only decline with age.

Maybe a three year deal, but I think you take the comp pick for him and invest that money in pitching and contract extensions for the younger Orioles.

I generally agree with not paying Santander and investing in pitching and extensions. But, the specifics get in the way a little. Which FA SP do you sign? Burnes who’s wilted down the stretch, has a seriously declining K rate, and will be the  most sought after SP on the market? The other big name SP, Fried? Bigger injury risk there and similar K rate, while older. The mid range SP like Kikuchi or Flaherty? There’s not good options on the market for FA SP. 

For extensions, if Gunnar will sign something reasonable then do it yesterday. Is there any other young guy you’d sign to an extension right now? Maybe Holliday?