Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

7 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I guess we'll find out over the offseason.  The danger is that Elias looks at Eflin, Grayson, Suarez and Kramer as a solid 1-4, assumes that Povich, McDermott and Rogers can battle it out for the fifth slot, and then decides we don't need to try to get a front line starter to replace Corbin Burnes.  

I’m hopeful the new owner wants to pay Burnes

6 hours ago, Since1984 said:

Rogers could be a #3-5 type starting pitcher. He’s pitched that well before the non arm injury woes and this is his first season playing the entire year. 

Lots of potential for a bounce back career year.

The stats say he’s lost something. I think his velocity is down from when he was good. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The stats say he’s lost something. I think his velocity is down from when he was good. 

I’m going straight positive on his potential and his trend was going up before the trade. Jake Flaherty comes to mind, based on IP maxing out before the trade. But Roger’s is more a deception Povich type lefty. 

Believe ME is going on bounce back potential with a full season in. This guy could be a #3. This was a glad you can pitch season for Rogers.

As a #567 SP, will take it. I like Stowers off the plate hit capability and that is missing in this lineup to some degree.

will be following this for years, hopefully!

Norby too, as a natural hitter. We need contact hitters!

The Stowers/Norby trade for Rogers isn’t even the worst deal we made. Johnson/Chace for Soto looks worse. 

You can only have 13 position players on a 26 man roster. Stowers and Norby were never going to crack our top 13 other than up/down guys. Stowers was going to be out of options at the end of next season, thus giving him little value. 

However… you do get to carry 13 pitchers. Chace and Johnson most certainly could’ve been in the mix there. Even as #5 SP. I mean look how much we’ve trade for Rogers/Irvin, and even Soto. 

Injuries really forced Elias’ hand though. Sitting back and doing nothing would’ve been the risky play. Elias was able to keep the pitching staff afloat until the playoffs. It’s the hitting that was the issue. Maybe that’s why he made the puzzling Eloy move. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Stowers/Norby trade for Rogers isn’t even the worst deal we made. Johnson/Chace for Soto looks worse. 

You can only have 13 position players on a 26 man roster. Stowers and Norby were never going to crack our top 13 other than up/down guys. Stowers was going to be out of options at the end of next season, thus giving him little value. 

However… you do get to carry 13 pitchers. Chace and Johnson most certainly could’ve been in the mix there. Even as #5 SP. I mean look how much we’ve trade for Rogers/Irvin, and even Soto. 

Injuries really forced Elias’ hand though. Sitting back and doing nothing would’ve been the risky play. Elias was able to keep the pitching staff afloat until the playoffs. It’s the hitting that was the issue. Maybe that’s why he made the puzzling Eloy move. 

I agree with this.  I think we were too focused on LHP relievers only.  Options like Michael Kopech, Lucas Erceg, and Tanner Banks (also LHP) would have come with more control even if they cost a little more.  

Soto’s agent also had requested a trade and the Phillies didn’t really have room for him.  Would they have really turned down Johnson only if we held firm and refused to include Chace?

20 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I guess we'll find out over the offseason.  The danger is that Elias looks at Eflin, Grayson, Suarez and Kramer as a solid 1-4, assumes that Povich, McDermott and Rogers can battle it out for the fifth slot, and then decides we don't need to try to get a front line starter to replace Corbin Burnes.  

Don't forget about possible late season returnees (bradish, Wells, maybe even Means).

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This one flew under the radar for me for a couple of days. I was stunned that they traded both for Soto. I really liked Johnson and he was so hyped when he came from Houston. I was thinking maybe he had not recovered well from TJ and they were "selling high." But that doesn't appear to me the case. I wonder if Chace, Johnson, Stowers, Norby gets you Tanner Scott instead? If so, I'd rather have him then both Rogers and Soto

22 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

This one flew under the radar for me for a couple of days. I was stunned that they traded both for Soto. I really liked Johnson and he was so hyped when he came from Houston. I was thinking maybe he had not recovered well from TJ and they were "selling high." But that doesn't appear to me the case. I wonder if Chace, Johnson, Stowers, Norby gets you Tanner Scott instead? If so, I'd rather have him then both Rogers and Soto

Tanner Scott a FA after this year, no time value.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

True!  I still don't get the price for Soto for the simple fact that Philly was trying to get rid of him.  Johnson was the player they got back for Trey they knew he needed TJ this was his first full year back.  

21 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Well the owner isn't JA anymore so this better not be the case or Elias needs to feel some heat next season if this is his answer to the rotation and they struggle next year. 

26 minutes ago, Ceciltrav said:

True!  I still don't get the price for Soto for the simple fact that Philly was trying to get rid of him.  Johnson was the player they got back for Trey they knew he needed TJ this was his first full year back.  

Yeah another trade I did not like. I was fine with all of the other trades but did not like Rogers or Soto deals at all.