I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

Of course, I am biased. I know Coby and his family well and interviewed Coby back in high school. I stay in touch with the family multiple times a week.Of course, I want to see him get his chance as many of you do.But for any reason, the fact that this kid is not promoted while we promoted inferior players, while we have a need for a RH hitter with pop  and refuse to  make that call is an insult to Coby Mayo, and yes, the fans too. The Orioles are jerking the kid around because they want to save his rookie status which could give the team an extra year of contract flexibility, could save the organisation money. But it's WRONG. The kid has raked all year, been a "good soldier" while he watched all his teammates get the call up. This kid has no negotiation power right now.But he will remember how he was treated and he has every reason to be resentful. I would be if it were me. And Oriole fans should be angry too. The front office has an obligation to field the best team, the best players and present that team to the public. They are not doing it to save money while they trade for dreadful hitters and pay off their inflated contract. It makes no sense. I'm furious that Elias is doing this to the kid, and I respect Mike. It's just wrong. Big time WRONG.                           FREE COBY MAYO.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

This thread title is longer than the name of a mid-2000’s Fall Out Boy song.

Also, if we brought him up now, or a month ago, or anytime after mid-May, wouldn’t we still have him for the extra year? Unless you’re asserting we keep him down until next May, it doesn’t seem like that line of thinking makes sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Of course, I am biased. I know Coby and his family well and interviewed Coby back in high school. I stay in touch with the family multiple times a week.Of course, I want to see him get his chance as many of you do.But for any reason, the fact that this kid is not promoted while we promoted inferior players, while we have a need for a RH hitter with pop  and refuse to  make that call is an insult to Coby Mayo, and yes, the fans too. The Orioles are jerking the kid around because they want to save his rookie status which could give the team an extra year of contract flexibility, could save the organisation money. But it's WRONG. The kid has raked all year, been a "good soldier" while he watched all his teammates get the call up. This kid has no negotiation power right now.But he will remember how he was treated and he has every reason to be resentful. I would be if it were me. And Oriole fans should be angry too. The front office has an obligation to field the best team, the best players and present that team to the public. They are not doing it to save money while they trade for dreadful hitters and pay off their inflated contract. It makes no sense. I'm furious that Elias is doing this to the kid, and I respect Mike. It's just wrong. Big time WRONG.                           FREE COBY MAYO.

Since Coby is an Orioles employee, he needs to respect his employer and his employer's decisions. If he is going to be immature and be resentful then the Orioles need to trade him right away. Are we going to have to worry about Coby being a cancer in the clubhouse? I'm starting to wonder. Coby needs to work on his defense plain and simple. The Orioles are a team that values good defense.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

The takeaway is that Roy is alluding to the notion that Mayo feels resentment towards the organization. That’s not good. 

Coby sounds like he could become a real cancer in the clubhouse. The Orioles don't need that. I wish we would have traded Coby instead of Norby.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The takeaway is that Roy is alluding to the notion that Mayo feels resentment towards the organization. That’s not good. 

But is it true?  Because if it is, Roy just broke a story.  FWIW that wasn't my takeaway from reading his post carefully.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m not sure if they are telling Roy this or is this his opinion. Highly doubt the family would be that transparent

Soto is not gonna get any game action so this is overreaction. If Mayo calms down the errors for the next week, he’ll be up by mid Aug.  this gives Holliday 2 weeks to get solid footing and some time to evaluate whether Jimenez is cooked or not.  

I happen to agree with Roy.   They traded for a right handed DH while they had one sitting at norfolk.    They called up a guy today that was a throw in on a cash deal.   I don't know what Coby is thinking, but perhaps he saw that Hays became a squeaky wheel and went to Philly, and two norfolk teammates went to Miami...  perhaps the lesson learned is the path to the show is to be the squeaky wheel.

3 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Meh. He resents the middle management in his organization. Join the club kid. 

I think it's more speculation that anything. Mayo will get over it when he's on his way to winning ROY next season on a playoff contender. I've had bosses I hated and all I had to look forward to is a few vacation days.

E5YuiY.gif

I didn't hear Roy saying anything person specific.    I believe many prominent MLBPA members feel resentment at their handling by the MLB clubs.

Corbin Burnes.    International League MVP Ryan Mountcastle.    Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Connor Norby.     Gunnar Henderson whose excellence garnered the organization bonus bonus pool money that I believe provided the organization an asset worth more than all the salary they have paid him to date.     His powder puff girl chill bro Colton Cowser, with a shot to do the same.

They all have their agency every day to fashion a team with each other, cultivate side hustles with PNC Bank, decide if they want today's offer from Elias' economic analyst, and enjoy and play the game of baseball.

• Upvote 3