I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

This is very odd, unless there’s an injury. Hopefully, they give him the Holliday/Henderson treatment and not the Kjerstad treatment. 

Urias was taken out for a pinch hitter in the 9th inning last night, so maybe he's hurt. Around that same time last night is when Mayo got pulled out of the Tides game.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm glad he's getting his chance.  I wish that the circumstances were better because this seems like a desperation move. They really need to get Adley and Gunnar going in addition to what Santander has been doing. 

Mayo and Cowser have been 2 of hardest hitters I've seen come through the Shorebirds.

Gunnar has been hitting much better as of late, just no homers to show for it. Adley has been scuffling bad for a month and a half now.

I will say this however, better they struggle now than towards the later part of the season in Sept/Oct. 

They have plenty of time to make the necessary tweaks to get it going again.

2 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Watch him be the next coming of Manny Machado at 3rd base 

I know you said this in sort of jest. But no.

Let’s be realistic with this young player and give him a chance to grow.

He has nowhere near the defensive skill set of one of the greatest to ever do it at the hot corner.

Now offensively, I see a more realistic comparison with the talent.

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I couldn't disagree more. 

This has not been the treatment of the Gunnars, the Adleys, even Westburg.  I think Mayo will be up to stay, unless of course, he struggles significantly over e meaningful period of time. 

The huge difference being they all had obvious opportunities for playing time.  Once Westburg is back we'll have Holliday, Henderson, and Westburg around the horn.  Henderson is not sitting, and while Westburg can play 3B and 2B I'm not sure there are enough starts available for Mayo.  He's also sort of redundant with Mountcastle at 1B.  There may be some DH opportunities against lefties but I would think they want him playing regularly.  Look at how it was hard to keep Kjerstad in the lineup.

This is all dependent on many factors of course.  If Mayo is mashing they will make room for him.  Maybe O'Hearn or Mountcastle or even Santander is scuffling.  We'll see when the time comes, but I'm just saying my guess is the plan right now is to send him back both to preserve rookie status but also because the opportunities may not be there for him to play.

Regardless, I'm excited to see him play.

I've been on record as not a fan of the Burnes trade, of all things, because I just didn't think this was the year that we start to peak. I think that starts in 2025, and especially in 2026.

I can't wait until this guy is hitting 4/5 in the lineup and playing every day. We're about to get a taste, but I really think all of these guys need time to adjust to the league. I'm glad he's finally getting a shot.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m cool with the call up as long as he gets inserted into the lineup. We’ve obviously had instances with Hyde where guys were called up and regulated to the bench. 

I do think it's worth wondering whether he will get the Adley/Gunnar/Holliday treatment or the Kjerstad/Stowers/Norby/Ortiz/Cowser treatment when it comes to playing time when he first arrives. 

I would guess the former, but I honestly don't know. Guess it depends on who goes for him. If it's Urias, then he's going to play everyday. If Urias stays, who knows?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Here’s a gritty, grinder type.  Brock Holt.  He gets his body out of the way and still gets hurt.

Sure, but that's the job. It is the "Hot Corner" for a reason. Brooks, Mike Schmidt, George Brett and whoever else that was or is good over there would have knocked it down.

13 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Sure, but that's the job. It is the "Hot Corner" for a reason. Brooks, Mike Schmidt, George Brett and whoever else that was or is good over there would have knocked it down.

Sure.  😏

Ok, we have all the younsters up here or traded to somewhere else. I think Elias with all the injuries we've been delt, is finally saying what the heck let's play the kids and see where it leads. He's doing this with an eye on next year and beyond as well. For me, it's a replay of the late 50's early sixties. Except I think we had healthier young pitching then. This may or may not take us to where we want to go this year but it will sure map out Elias's work order for the off season. I would love to see one of our youngsters come up and rock from the get go. Maybe Coby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, StottyByNature said:

The huge difference being they all had obvious opportunities for playing time.  Once Westburg is back we'll have Holliday, Henderson, and Westburg around the horn.  Henderson is not sitting, and while Westburg can play 3B and 2B I'm not sure there are enough starts available for Mayo.  He's also sort of redundant with Mountcastle at 1B.  There may be some DH opportunities against lefties but I would think they want him playing regularly.  Look at how it was hard to keep Kjerstad in the lineup.

This is all dependent on many factors of course.  If Mayo is mashing they will make room for him.  Maybe O'Hearn or Mountcastle or even Santander is scuffling.  We'll see when the time comes, but I'm just saying my guess is the plan right now is to send him back both to preserve rookie status but also because the opportunities may not be there for him to play.

Regardless, I'm excited to see him play.

I don't see opportunity being a problem if Urias is the only thing standing in his way.  I think that is the primary basis for outrage over the last few months. 

Kjerstad had/has a tougher path to every day at bats with DH being tied up often with O'Hearn and Santander in right.  You aren't sitting either of those guys regularly against RHP. 

I personally can't wait to see this lineup or something very similar in 2025:

Holliday - 2B, Adley - C, Gunnar - SS, Mayo - DH, Westburg - 3B, Cowser - LF, Kjerstad - RF, Mountcastle/O'Hearn - 1B, Mullins - CF

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

Tom Hamilton was quite critical of that play. He usually calls games pretty straight...jot just a Cleveland homer type, but he was surprised at how Urias basically Gabe that double away. I'm not implying that I would DFA him, just pointing out that the Cleveland guy was surprised by Urias there.

I still think that Mayo goes back down in order to keep rookie status for 2025.

Yep. I know I am not alone on that criticism, and I have been one of his biggest fans until this year. He's just not as valuable as he used to be. Maybe he stays and gets his head right, but someone needs to get in his ear. Maybe McCann, Santander or O'Hearn. The play with Gunnar was another gaffe. He refused to yield to SS Westburg on a pop up, similar to the one he caused Gunnar to drop. 

We need guys who want to win, and are willing to get in front of that. His body language has been bad for months now. I don't know what is going on with him, but the results have been poor.

I would DFA him to bring in Mayo. It's a net gain in the short and long term. Besides, if we demote Soto, who plays SS if Gunnar needs a break or gets injured? Holliday, maybe? Well, he just came back from elbow issues. He should be fine to do so, but they may not want the additional stress on the arm, or on the kid as he breaks in a second time.

The other side of it, Soto has only played 35 games in his pro career at 3B. So, he would be the only back up at 3B if Mayo needs a break. If they keep Urias, someone needs to get his head out of that dark crevice it has been in.

• Upvote 1

I just don't understand why they traded for Jimenez/Slater/Soto at all.. why not just bring up Mayo on Tues.. Elias has some weird roster habits.. thinking back to 1 week or Tony Kemp for example.. why? They could have just put Holiday on the OD roster. 1-2 weeks in AAA made no difference. 2-3 days of Mayo in AAA made no difference. Just weird.. but glad he's coming.