Adley is in an otherworldly slump right now

interloper

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Well, of course they are, because they're sports fans, and naturally bitter.... Let's hammer home the point that our management could have done better, because nobody is ever happy.

Now you sound bitter.  Nobody's unhappy. We're just doing like you say, what sports fans mostly do: either second-guessing, or celebrating, depending on the direction of the wind on a given day.

1 minute ago, now said:

Now you sound bitter.  Nobody's unhappy. We're just doing like you say, what sports fans mostly do: either second-guessing, or celebrating, depending on the direction of the wind on a given day.

Not at all. I'm just very tired of the endless "why didn't we draft so-and-so, the excellent guy we have is in a slump and I don't like him any more." And I really don't like the guys who disagree on draft day and then spend the next decade cherry-picking I told you so moments.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

The draft only started in 1964. There were no 1/1 picks for the first 92 years of organized baseball history. Hall of Fame selections typically happen at least 25-30 years after someone is drafted. Sometimes much later. So it's more-or-less impossible for any 1/1 to have gone to Cooperstown prior to about 1990.

The MLB draft is quite the crap shoot there really is no such thing as a sure bet every year even when picking 1-1. Making it to MLB is an accomplishment for any first round pick because many of them fail in the minor leagues.

Matt Hobgood never made it past AA ball and he was the 5th overall pick of the 2009 MLB draft.

3 hours ago, Too Tall said:

I've been on here long enough that I have come to actually understand what Just Regular says!!!!! I agree with the above! (I think 😀)

Can you quote all his posts with a translation?  Kind of like a “Just Regular For Dummies”.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The draft only started in 1964. There were no 1/1 picks for the first 92 years of organized baseball history. Hall of Fame selections typically happen at least 25-30 years after someone is drafted. Sometimes much later. So it's more-or-less impossible for any 1/1 to have gone to Cooperstown prior to about 1990.

• Baines: Drafted 1977, Enshrined 2019
  • Griffey Jr: Drafted 1987, Enshrined 2016 (1st year)
  • Jones: Drafted 1990, Enshrined 2018 (1st year)
  • Mauer: Drafted 2001, Enshrined 2024 (1st year)

If Harold Baines can get in, Darryl Strawberry can get in.  Then we have Alex Rodriguez.

Some future candidates include David Price, Bryce Harper, Carlos Correa, and perhaps Dansby Swanson.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Adley usually bats righty when he DH’s, which is his stronger side.

Yes.  In some other thread, I did the best I could to separate the "DH effect" from the "R/L split effect."   Suffice it to say, it was a mixed bag.   A lot of Adley's split advantage when playing DH comes from the fact that he mostly has batted right-handed when DH'ing, but not all of it.  It's also worth noting that Adley's R/L splits have gotten more RHB-friendly each season so far.   That's a trend that bears watching as his career continues.  It's only three seasons so it's too early to consider it a serious trend, but it's been pretty pronounced.

In any event, none of that relates to Adley's current slump.   It's been puzzling and I hope he snaps out of it soon, because it's certainly been hurting our offense.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Not at all. I'm just very tired of the endless "why didn't we draft so-and-so, the excellent guy we have is in a slump and I don't like him any more." And I really don't like the guys who disagree on draft day and then spend the next decade cherry-picking I told you so moments.

Fair enough.

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The draft only started in 1965. There were no 1/1 picks for the first 93 years of organized baseball history. Hall of Fame selections typically happen at least 25-30 years after someone is drafted. Sometimes much later. So it's more-or-less impossible for any 1/1 to have gone to Cooperstown prior to about 1990.

Good point.

36 minutes ago, fansince71 said:

Since this is the AR doom and gloom thread why hasn’t anyone posted Witt jr. stats?

Easier to just allude to him as "a multi MVP HOF player" that Elias foolishly passed on to draft a catcher.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Can you quote all his posts with a translation?  Kind of like a “Just Regular For Dummies”.

I would NEVER call ya all Dummies. Well not all of you. 😀 But no,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Adley is dipping his  knees 2 feet on almost every swing he makes. Especially left handed.  He is basically swinging from a starting uppercut position.  He has no chance to have a good at bat doing that.

How does the coaching not see this?  I mean his swing looks horrible. 

A couple points about Adley. First of all, I don't know what's going on in his personal life but that can have an effect on a player, good or bad. With that out of the way...

I've always noticed something weird about Adley's mechanics. His stance is totally different from the left and right side. As a righty he looks nice and smooth and balanced. From the left side he has this awkward, unbalanced, oddly open stance.

Also in the past you'd occasionally see him go down to one knee on a pitch he missed badly or on an overswing. Now it seems like he does that every at bat. 

Back in the day, when things were working for him at the plate, Cal Ripken would try a different stance or some other change in his mechanics. I get it, every player is different. Adley is Adley, Cal is Cal. But, it seems to me, at this point Adley needs to consider trying something different.

I'm just wondering if the HBP's that have occurred over the past month have had anything to do with any of the guys slumping.  I know it's part of the game, but 3 significant instances of it, each resulting in injuries, has to give a little pause to the normal plate approaches batters have.

He did have a nice hard hit single last night. Sometimes I feel like he's close, other times I'm like why in god's name are you swinging at that low and away curveball. 

I also thought he made some good throws, but the runners just got too good of jumps. That said, he also had a passed ball.