Is Brandon Hyde the Orioles version of Mark Jackson with the Golden State Warriors

Deadwood Fan

Brandon Hyde's Future   

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Orioles make a managerial change after this season if they dont make the playoffs or have a quick exit in the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/04/24 at 06:37

I would welcome a change, but it won't happen. They could win 10 games the rest of the year and Elias won't get rid of him. 

The other question would become who would replace him. Elias would just try to get some other young upcoming manager instead of someone with experience 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The team plays hard for Hyde. Fans expect CYA SP each game. Well Bradish and Means got hurt. SP costs FA money. 

Rubenstein needs to spend. 

I don't think the issue will be if Reubenstein wants to spend, it will be if Elias actually wants to spend

Just now, Orioles0615 said:

I don't think the issue will be if Reubenstein wants to spend, it will be if Elias actually wants to spend

Yeah sounds good. Throwing out t shirts at the games doesn’t win me over that easy. 

Elias wants to spend. We spend all of our draft class money. We did our first buy a “bad” salary trade. We spend more each year in the Dominican. I’m sure Elias wants to sign Burnes. 

Nothing against you personal in that statement. 

I voted NO. Boy, what a ride on here. World Series or bust to fire the manager. I have no idea what's going on with Adley or Gunnar and why this team all of a sudden look like a bunch of zombies at times. Westy and Mateo are out and our bullpen has been less than good for a while plus injuries to our starters. No reliable closer, no reliable set-up men - only several good starters IMO even after trade deadline. Bad teams played hard for Hyde. This team has been in a funk for a while now. Only exception is Tony didn't get the memo. Lot of turnover for a young team to digest. Lot of combinations tried. I doubt, experienced coaches took a mass vacation all at once. Yea, let's fire the manager and not stop there. Fire Elias too he built this and hasn't forseen all the injuries. No pitching pipeline. Our young hitters all seem to take a lot of time to adjust. Come to think about it, I'd fire Elias first. 😀    

I don’t really care either way. I like Hyde and as long as the players like and respect him, I’m fine with him. But if they made a change because they felt they needed to, that’s fine too.

Either way, whoever they bring in will draw the same ire from fans because fans continue to believe the manager is way more important than he actually is.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

I didn’t vote .. for me it would depend how things end up. If they continue this crash offering little sign of life I would say yes. If they pull out of this and we see a considerable uptick in defense, quality at bats then even if they are ousted I’m okay. 

If we did fire him I think the bigger question is who are we going to get?

Hyde isn't the one making errors in the field, and he has no control over guys getting hurt. He has no control over Rutschman being in a terrible slump. I'm not a huge fan, but he isn't going to get fired, even if we miss the playoffs. There were too many other variables that cost us games this year. 

47 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We did our first buy a “bad” salary trade.

Hey, no James McCann slander!

These Orioles aren't going to go 14-42 but I think Hyde would run Sarasota next spring even if they did.     Elias with Sig's help makes his big decisions carefully, and I believe will be slow to move off them.

I think manager watch holds off until next year midyear or after 2025 if the Club takes an 0-for-4 on Adley's initial seasons and is down to two.

No Club is ever a prohibitive WS favorite as Andrew Friedman will attest, but today I'd still bet the Over on 0.5 championships by 2028.

Now sucks but better to have Mike Tyson punch you in the face now rather than hearing MASN employees coo about your Unswept streak all summer long.    The other best collections of baseball talent in the world aren't going to give Gunnar and Adley anything.

It is kind of a more engrossing middle act when the story has you wondering which of the main characters is the protagonist.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

The only fact here is that you have no idea what Elias was thinking when he hired Hyde.   

That is true.   Although I do remember many media pundits saying that when he was hired.

But I will say it now no matter what.  The fundamentals on this club are horrible.  That is on coaching.

images.jpg

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

I would welcome a change, but it won't happen. They could win 10 games the rest of the year and Elias won't get rid of him. 

The other question would become who would replace him. Elias would just try to get some other young upcoming manager instead of someone with experience 

It may not be Mike’s call if the owner wants a change. I don’t imagine Rubbenstein forcing it …. But, he could do a Bisciotti and suggest that it’s time. If your Elias you probably don’t put up much resistance to keeping Hyde if the swan dive continues.

My issue is that I don’t think Hyde is writing the lineup. I think the heavy platoon stuff is a product of the data analysis stuff. And therefore can he really be to blame. 

Plus … Does it make sense to bring in another rookie manager? And do you really think a guy like Brad Ausmus would want to have Sig & Elias writing their lineup?

4 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Hyde seems to be well liked and respected by his players and other managers. 

With that being said, the hitting philosophy coaches and defensive guys in the minors should be a little worried.  

Why in the minors ….. the problem seems to be once the player gets here. Adley came in as a patient hitter. I wonder what his current (last20 games ) looks like compared to his early totals.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Why in the minors ….. the problem seems to be once the player gets here. Adley came in as a patient hitter. I wonder what his current (last20 games ) looks like compared to his early totals.

Good point.  Major league guys should also be worried.