Is Brandon Hyde the Orioles version of Mark Jackson with the Golden State Warriors

Deadwood Fan

Brandon Hyde's Future   

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Orioles make a managerial change after this season if they dont make the playoffs or have a quick exit in the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/04/24 at 06:37

This team has been clobbered by injuries. Get Bautista, Coulombe back for the pen. Westburg will be healthy. Trades can happen. Perhaps Rubenstein gives Elias more funds for a bigger payroll and FAs can sign. 

EDIT: And I think Elias should take a share of any blame for refusing to draft pitching in higher rounds of the draft. 

Edited by Jagwar

I have liked Hyde and what he has done but I can't help to think this team could potentially benefit from Buck coming back.  Maybe I am crazy but he's someone I'd have serious discussion about if they decide to make a change.

2 minutes ago, Ceciltrav said:

I have liked Hyde and what he has done but I can't help to think this team could potentially benefit from Buck coming back.  Maybe I am crazy but he's someone I'd have serious discussion about if they decide to make a change.

He was great with the Mets!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ceciltrav said:

I do think they should consider someone that goes by Buck as their next manger.

Managers can make a difference....look at the Guardians first year manager Vogt.

He has taken a team that was sub .500 last year and as a first year coach has them playing with the best record in baseball.  Fundamentally sound baseball.  Night and day compared to how the Os are playing.

I go back to Buck or Davey Johnson or all the way back to Earl.    Managers make a difference. 

Hyde is not it. 

Hyde is not the guy He did a nice job through the rebuild but these last 2 years he’s not gotten any better as a manager. He routinely mismanages the bullpen and will use up multiple relievers in games that he shouldn’t. 

My biggest issue is his refusal to defend his players. He has no pulse in that dugout. Just once I would like to see him come out and get thrown out after Gunnar & Adley commonly have egregious strikes called against them. Aaron Boone would never let that happen. 

21 minutes ago, DEOriolesfan said:

Hyde is not the guy He did a nice job through the rebuild but these last 2 years he’s not gotten any better as a manager. He routinely mismanages the bullpen and will use up multiple relievers in games that he shouldn’t. 

My biggest issue is his refusal to defend his players. He has no pulse in that dugout. Just once I would like to see him come out and get thrown out after Gunnar & Adley commonly have egregious strikes called against them. Aaron Boone would never let that happen. 

Boo e is awful. I am so glad we have a professional manager.

Hyde has some flaws, but the real problem was Elias not doing enough to shore up the bullpen at the beginning of the season.  

I don't know how you replace the absence of Bautista and DL Hall with just Jason Kimbrel -- and a mid 30s version of Kimbrel at that.  Maybe he assumed Wells would fill one of those roles, but Wells showed himself to be somewhat less than reliable last season even before he went down with injury early this season.  And Kimbrel?  He's had issues.  

It's not Elias' job to predict both Bradish and Means would be lost for the season, but in general the lack of pitching depth is what this team is still struggling with even after the trade deadline.

I'm assuming Angelos keeping a check on spending was part of the problem.  But even if that were the case, as nice as as Suarez was for awhile, more was needed -- perhaps trades in the offseason -- to bring in more quality arms.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

Hyde has some flaws, but the real problem was Elias not doing enough to shore up the bullpen at the beginning of the season.  

I don't know how you replace the absence of Bautista and DL Hall with just Jason Kimbrel -- and a mid 30s version of Kimbrel at that.  Maybe he assumed Wells would fill one of those roles, but Wells showed himself to be somewhat less than reliable last season even before he went down with injury early this season.  And Kimbrel?  He's had issues.  

It's not Elias' job to predict both Bradish and Means would be lost for the season, but in general the lack of pitching depth is what this team is still struggling with even after the trade deadline.

I'm assuming Angelos keeping a check on spending was part of the problem.  But even if that were the case, as nice as as Suarez was for awhile, more was needed -- perhaps trades in the offseason -- to bring in more quality arms.

Hyde isn't perfect, but I do believe he's the perfect manager for this club.  The Orioles have done right by him in letting him steer the ship from being a dumpster fire to a team that should be winning 90+ games a year and in the playoffs.

It's all about the talent on the field and Hyde didn't have any when this rebuild started.  He has talent now and they won over 100 games last year...should be able to win 90+ and make the playoffs this year.

To your point, some of the failings here this season are on Elias and I agree that plugging in Kimbrel was a move that couldn't pick up the loss of Bautista...but then again, it would be hard to do that with almost anyone, really.  

He should have known that Bradish and Means had high probabilities to go down...I mean, if we all saw that here on this board, he had to have known.  A lot of people here had questions about how long both of those guys were going to last.

Panicky as we can all be, I think Elias knew that he'd have a team to perform well enough to get to the deadline where he could address needs and he did that with Eflin, Seranthony and Soto.  Eflin looks like he could be the real deal while Seranthony and Soto certainly aren't Bautista but they fill a need.

But whatever...the point is that Hyde has some horses now compared to when he started.  And, IMO, armchair managing on a message board when a reliever doesn't work out and saying "Oh, he should have put in so-and-so in the game instead".is lazy...yeah, it's easy to second guess a manager after a move doesn't work out.  It takes no thought, no effort to say stuff like that.

I will agree with the notion that he doesn't stick up for his players enough, but we can also see only what we can see on TV.  I'm sure if he got ejected a few times for arguing balls and strikes people here would be satisfied but that's silly.

The thing that no one can really refute is that his team doesn't sleepwalk...even through this rough patch they've been going through, they show up after two ugly losses to Cleveland and put together a great game tonight.  This team might have been guilty of pressing a little bit throughout July, but that's to be expected with a young group.  I've yet to see him get any credit for putting Cowser in the leadoff spot and allowing him to flourish, however.

I think he's a legit good manager and anyone who's bagging on him for this recent skid is a regular 80's George Steinbrenner in training...just fire the manager as soon as the sailing isn't smooth because...well, because that's what 80s George Steinbrenner would do.  

• Upvote 3