The positives - August 2024

kidrock

The average age of last nights starting lineup was I think 25 years old. That’s very young. The IF average was 23. There are going to be more ups and downs with a team that young, regardless of talent level. We get to watch all these incredibly talented young players grow and grow up right before our eyes. The ride may be bumpy at times (like now) but it’s still a wild ride. 

Everyone clamored for Holliday and Mayo. We all knew they had question marks on defense. Both those plays in the first big inning probably get made by Mateo and Urias at second and third, and if they had it’s still 2-1 at the end of that inning. We’ve gotten what we asked for, frankly. And it will eventually pay off. Coby looked pretty comfortable at the plate (other than the AB where he K’d on three straight sliders) and Holliday has looked much better this time up. They’ll get better every day, and there are still a lot of days between now and the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Both those plays in the first big inning probably get made by Mateo and Urias at second and third, and if they had it’s still 2-1 at the end of that inning. 

On a positive note, it seems like every defensive gaffe in this bad stretch of games has led directly to big innings by the other team. Fix the simple errors on defense (or let them revert to norm) and a lot of those kinds of losses turn into wins. Our pitchers will be more successful and happier (especially Kremer).

The quality of the at bats lately - even yesterday - have been much better. Pretty much across the board. Holliday looks much more relaxed, like night and day. Adley is showing signs and his talent didn’t suddenly go away. 

The bloop double last night had an expected BA of .050. Soto was wild, hope next time he feels more comfortable. Pen depth is better. 

Positives:

1)Cowser is again ROY front runner.

2)Yankees suck, too, even though Chisholm is blazing for them and they got a reliever with apparently no flaws.

I really wanted 100 wins but will settle for “more than NY.”

Edited by HowAboutThat

55 minutes ago, now said:

On a positive note, it seems like every defensive gaffe in this bad stretch of games has led directly to big innings by the other team. Fix the simple errors on defense (or let them revert to norm) and a lot of those kinds of losses turn into wins. Our pitchers will be more successful and happier (especially Kremer).

It does feel like every screw up comes at the worst time. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Since the ASB, the offense is averaging 5.73 runs per game (5th in MLB) and has an.800 OPS (6th).   There are individuals who are struggling and some bad games post-ASB, but generally the offense hasn’t been the problem.   

A lot of people in the game thread were complaining about the lack of hits last night, and I get it. But I thought the O’s had a good approach.

Earlier in the year many were concerned about the walk rates. That doesn’t seem to be an issue for me anymore.

I’m really not worried about the offense. People act like this is the new norm for guys like Gunnar and Adley. Even with them struggling, the offense is producing.

The starting pitching is what it is. Burnes and Grayson have been good. Efflin offers some hope mid-rotation. Rogers and Kremer are wildcards, though I think Kremer has been pitching decent, and has been a victim of really poor defense lately.

Which brings me to my main concern, which is defense. Getting younger won’t help. Outfield defense is fine. Infield defense is worrisome with Holliday and Mayo out there.

This forum is freaking out. You made that poll after the deadline grading the Orioles moves. I wonder if that same poll was posted today, three days later, how different the results would be.

Guardians fans can feel good about their team right now. I don’t know if any other fan base can. 16-20 over this past stretch isn’t good, but despite it the O’s have the third best record in baseball still.

3 hours ago, kidrock said:

Sometimes, it’s the playful Roy jones that get me through a bad game like last night.

question for you Roy, were you on everybody loves Raymond for an episode onetime?  I thought I remember that from years ago?  If so, what was the show like, did you get to talk to any of the actors? That show was hilarious.

Every night, somewhere one of two cinematic masterpieces (tongue in cheek) I acted in are seen.

One is 'Jerry Maguire' the film that I had a tiny role in starring Tom Cruise, Rene Zellweger and Cuba Gooding Jr.

The other is 'Everybody loves Raymond" starring Ray Romano.

Since someone on this board told me they saw that episode I've got a funny story to tell about doing that show.

It was early in the first season.

The show was not yet a hit.

If you've ever seen Romano you know he looks like some electrician or handyman....not an actor, and certainly not a "star".

I had never seen the show before I was cast as myself.

I came into the CBS studio on Radford knowing only actor, Peter Boyle, because he was a huge sports fan and I had an occasional conversation about sports at Lakers games with him.

So I walk onto the set and there is Peter Boyle eating with a guy named Ray.

Peter introduces me to Romano.

I honest to God had NO idea who he was and he didn't look like a "somebody".

I said "Nice to meet you Ray...What do you do with the show?".

There were a few giggles and some of the crew I noticed had nervous laughter.Some looked at their shoes in embarrassment.

Ray Romano says

'I do a little of this, little of that".

I said,

'Oh, kind of a grip of all trades".

Now people are laughing out loud and I realized I made a massive gaffe..and pretended it was all a sarcastic joke.

So I continued.

'Hey Ray...Im just kidding...I know who you are'.(even though I still didn't).

Romano looked it me and smiled, and said"I'm glad YOU know who I am..because I sure don't".

Years later I saw Ray with one of the funniest people I ever met,

Brad Garrett who played Romano's brother on the show.

'Hey Roy....'the grip of all trades is here".

I needed to "get a grip" myself.

19396623_10155334185153604_5246905393938734358_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1. It's August 3 and the Orioles are tied for first place with the Yankees.

2. The Angelos family has 0% ownership in the Orioles.

3. The team is loaded with young home-grown talent - last night's starting line-up was comprised of 7 drafted in the Rule 4 amateur draft, 1 in the Rule 5 draft, and 1 obtained for cash.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Every night, somewhere one of two cinematic masterpieces (tongue in cheek) I acted in are seen.

One is 'Jerry Maguire' the film that I had a tiny role in starring Tom Cruise, Rene Zellweger and Cuba Gooding Jr.

The other is 'Everybody loves Raymond" starring Ray Romano.

Since someone on this board told me they saw that episode I've got a funny story to tell about doing that show.

It was early in the first season.

The show was not yet a hit.

If you've ever seen Romano you know he looks like some electrician or handyman....not an actor, and certainly not a "star".

I had never seen the show before I was cast as myself.

I came into the CBS studio on Radford knowing only actor, Peter Boyle, because he was a huge sports fan and I had an occasional conversation about sports at Lakers games with him.

So I walk onto the set and there is Peter Boyle eating with a guy named Ray.

Peter introduces me to Romano.

I honest to God had NO idea who he was and he didn't look like a "somebody".

I said "Nice to meet you Ray...What do you do with the show?".

There were a few giggles and some of the crew I noticed had nervous laughter.Some looked at their shoes in embarrassment.

Ray Romano says

'I do a little of this, little of that".

I said,

'Oh, kind of a grip of all trades".

Now people are laughing out loud and I realized I made a massive gaffe..and pretended it was all a sarcastic joke.

So I continued.

'Hey Ray...Im just kidding...I know who you are'.(even though I still didn't).

Romano looked it me and smiled, and said"I'm glad YOU know who I am..because I sure don't".

Years later I saw Ray with one of the funniest people I ever met,

Brad Garrett who played Romano's brother on the show.

'Hey Roy....'the grip of all trades is here".

I needed to "get a grip" myself.

19396623_10155334185153604_5246905393938734358_n.jpg

Very cool Roy.  Loved that show back in the day.  Thanks for sharing the story.  I always thought Romano, Boyle and Garrett were hilarious.  The whole cast was great.