88 wins.

bpilktree67

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

I still say choosing 50, where the first 21 are really bad, and the next 29 are slightly over .500, and saying this is a reflection of what the team is right now , a sub-.500 team -- is cherry picking.

And it wasn't specifically an attack on just  your post.   It was on all the posts, including yours, that keep bringing up 23-27, or 24-28, and saying that proves something about the current team.   You are far from the only one doing that.   I heard it so many times that I finally felt the need to break down that 50 games and see that the worst part of it was all over a month ago.   A 21 game stretch where we were 5 under .500 and had two 5 game losing streaks, that ended July 12.   And we haven't had a single losing streak longer 2 games in the 32 games since.   Maybe you really did just choose 50 because it was a round number and didn't deliberately cherry pick it, but I still think it any attempt to use that 50 games as some sort of indicator of the current state of the team is misleading.

So what range of games would be less misleading? The fact of the matter is the team has not been good for a long while. Playing .500 ball is not playoff baseball, so even to cut out some of the earlier 5 game losing streaks to give us a .500 record- We are hanging on strictly because a roster of guys which is far different than the roster of guys we have now gave us a 20+ game over .500 cushion through mid june. 

Is using August a better sample? So far in August the team is 9-10 (.473 winning percentage). Mind you, coming into August we had Grayson, Suarez and Eflin in our rotation- which has essentially been replaced with some combination of Rogers/Povich/Irvin/Suarez. Suarez left the rotation for Rogers then was immediately put back in for Grayson within a few days of each other, so you can make the breakdown of replacements how you like. 

Even if we continue to play .473 ball for the remainder of the season- we would finish with an additional 16 wins and finish 90-72. Mind you, that .473 stretch of baseball in August so far has included 8 games against Toronto, Tampa and Washington. 19 of our remaining 34 games are against teams above .500, which is slightly less than the 11/19 who have been above .500 so far in August. Maybe the track record says we should continue to play .500 baseball, but its just hard to see right now. I just think that, as constructed, we are not a great team. Our offense has been streaky, defense has been streaky, starting pitching is completely unreliable with all of the injuries and our bullpen is a disaster. I hope I'm wrong but these 7 games against Houston and LAD could expose what a lot of us have been worried about as the team has treaded water so to speak. I think, whether you look at 50 games, or at the more recent August, its a fairly accurate indication of where the team is at currently which is not a good team.

Edited by terpoh

7 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

This isn’t a playoff team. Very well possible they don’t make it. I’d take the Royals, Twins, and Red Sox current roster over this disaster class. 

Why do you keep saying this