Roster moves 8-22-24 (3 up, 3 down)

eddie83

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

OH OF COURSE, you want Mountcastle and his "dreadful" 109 OPS+ gone.

I should have known.

You never said what he did to you Roy.

Of course Mountcastle could catch fire but you don't want to consider that.

The idea they are going to bench Mountcastle for Mayo is ridiculous.  

Mayo’s chance is the at bats Eloy is getting.  

55 minutes ago, Royle said:

Watching the Cleveland broadcast today vs NYY.  The announcer commented that the current state of Baltimore’s deadline moves is Eflin on the IL, Rogers in AAA, Soto with a 15.43 ERA and Dominguez 3 for 6 in save opportunities.

Well SD is not 3-6 in save chances. Yes I know he has had rough week but they came in tie games. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

The idea they are going to bench Mountcastle for Mayo is ridiculous.  

Mayo’s chance is the at bats Eloy is getting.  

Not in Roy's world.

I think Mountcastle went around kicking the puppies of OH members.

For some reason Roy can't stand the kid.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not in Roy's world.

I think Mountcastle went around kicking the puppies of OH members.

For some reason Roy can't stand the kid.

I hear you.

You can hope or wish he was more. That’s fine. He is not getting benched. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

I hear you.

You can hope or wish he was more. That’s fine. He is not getting benched. 

I'd love for him to be hitting for more power.

I'd be fine with replacing him with an upgrade over the offseason.

But he's a perfectly decent ML 1B.

He's making 4.1M and has produced 2.2 rWAR this season.

Those are good numbers.

41 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

He could come up Monday for the Dodger series, if they wanted to call him up. I think this team desperately needs a big bat or even a threat of a big bat in the lineup. He cant hurt you defensively  as a DH , why not give it a try?

Who do you send down to make room for him?

17 hours ago, Royle said:

Watching the Cleveland broadcast today vs NYY.  The announcer commented that the current state of Baltimore’s deadline moves is Eflin on the IL, Rogers in AAA, Soto with a 15.43 ERA and Dominguez 3 for 6 in save opportunities.

Ouch. The truth in black and white. 

While Elias certainly could not control the injury to Eflin (which hopefully isn't that bad) he and his professional scouts need to start being held responsible for the players they acquire. 

I'd really like to know what his "scouts" or "SIGBOT" or whatever saw in Rogers to send off Norby and Stowers for him. His stuff has clearly declined and when I saw him pitch for the first time with the Orioles I thought to myself, "What am I missing here? How could any professional scout see this 'stuff' and think this guy could help this year?" 

The book is not written on Soto and Dominguez, but there's a reason a 1st place team was willing to trade them off in the middle of a stretch drive. 

Sometimes I really think the Orioles think they are so smart, that they can turn any team's "castoffs" and turn them into diamonds. The success they've had with Perez, Webb and Cano to a lesser extent have given them a false sense that they have some magic that makes pitchers better.

Yet we've seen them trade away or get rid of pitchers like Tanner Scott and Evan Phillips only to see them become the exact kinds of impact bullpen arms this team has needed this year.

So while Elias certainly gets credit for turning this franchise around, the injuries showed that his farm system may not be quite the juggernaut that people think now that most of his best pieces have been promoted.

His lack of drafting and development of pitching really has shown up this season and it's not getting better any time soon unless a few pitchers in the system really take a big step forward.

• Upvote 2

Eflin is just bad luck, otherwise that has been an undisputedly excellent trade.

The bullpen adds are definitely something to criticize.  You have to wonder what bullpen pieces Norby/Stowers could have retrieved.  

The smaller deals for Jimenez and Slater have actually turned out quite nicely, but they addressed a small problem which the glaring hole in the bullpen remains.

• Upvote 1

And yet, some think the solution is to fire Hyde. I'm not advocating firing anyone but the rest of this season and the up coming off season and next season will be telling as to whether Elias is just a good builder and whether Hyde can hold a young, struggling club house together through some rough times. The rest of this season may get ugly. To me, the spotlight is more on Elias than Hyde. Plus, I'm interested in how new ownership reacts/behaves.

17 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think they can move Ohearn to 1b to replace the dreadful Mountcastle offensively..Mayo could DH on days when Adley isnt...let the kid get some AB's, he COULD give us a spark if he catches fire.

Mayo needs to be spending all his time working on fielding.  The O's don't need another DH right now.  How is Mayo going to "catch fire" batting once a week?  I hope he either plays in the Arizona Fall League or Winter Ball.  O's should give him every chance to be opening day 1B next year, but he's not ready now.