Should the Orioles relieve Brandon Hyde of his duties?

Deadwood Fan

I would fire him. 

I don’t think he is a World Series manager. He cannot manage a bullpen. Doesn’t defend his players. He has no pulse or energy in the dugout. Almost like he is indifferent. The team plays that way under him. No fire. 

Orioles have had success in spite of him, not because of him. Great job through the rebuild but the guy is in over his head. 

I’m calling David Ross & Terry Francona. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

It’s not a slump. A slump is when other teams beat you.

The Os are beating themselves. In every single aspect of the game, they are terrible.

Tonight’s best players were a minor league signing, a AAA call up, and one of our worst trade pickups who had a good outing after the game was decided.

Everyone else should be ashamed of himself

A slump is exactly what it is.

Most of us thought of him as a caretaker during the hard times and did not expect him here when things got good. I probably wouldn't fire him right now but if they continue to collapse and miss the playoffs I certainly wouldn't be upset if they went in a different direction. If anything a shakeup in the coaching staff is a must 

3 hours ago, DEOriolesfan said:

I would fire him. 

I don’t think he is a World Series manager. He cannot manage a bullpen. Doesn’t defend his players. He has no pulse or energy in the dugout. Almost like he is indifferent. The team plays that way under him. No fire. 

Orioles have had success in spite of him, not because of him. Great job through the rebuild but the guy is in over his head. 

I’m calling David Ross & Terry Francona. 

Terry is done. Health issues. He's not coming back. Ross would definitely be on my short list. Wasn't Raul Ibanez highly thought of a couple of years ago but now works in the commissioner's office. I be interested in hearing some names from you guys out there.

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Love Hyde. Maybe more than Buck. But you can’t fire the players. Those young Astros teams brought in Carlos Beltran as their vet bat. That is probably what we’re missing.

I hate to say it, but it does seem like the hitters have mailed it in. 

Probably the reason you hate to say it is because of how idiotic it sounds.

I like Hyde overall but his handling of the bullpen and his lineups often drive me crazy. But, you can't blame him for Gunnar making errors, hitters slumping or the massive injury issues we've had this year.

Based on the decimated roster alone, there's no way Hyde should be the fall guy. Hitting coaches, that's another story.

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Probably the reason you hate to say it is because of how idiotic it sounds.

Again, just because someone has a difference of opinion does not make them idiotic. 

Look at the previous times I’ve been called an idiot for not going with group think. Mateo… Baumann over Webb… Basallo not being a top 5 prospect… Hicks… it ranges across all topics. I have my misses too. I’m not the smartest guy in the room. Clearly. Humbly admitted.

But… the group think consistently…

The homegrown bats are not above criticism. I just want to win. I don’t care if the player was drafted by us or from Mars. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Love Hyde. Maybe more than Buck. But you can’t fire the players. Those young Astros teams brought in Carlos Beltran as their vet bat. That is probably what we’re missing.

Missing a way of cheating. Probably would still strike out all the time if they knew what was coming 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Wavetrapper said:

Hyde is not a good in-game manager (like Harbaugh across the street).   He’s going to get a pass with the injury crutch.   I think the 2023 playoff collapse plus two non playoff seasons in a row probably does him in.  He’s nothing special 

I hope they do not give him that much rope. If we miss the playoffs this year he needs to be gone. 

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I like Hyde and don't think anybody this is really his fault but I guess I'd get over it if they brought in someone good. Would be weird to do it mid season when you have one of the best records in baseball. Seems like a panic move and Elias is not one to panic.

All along it seemed that once they got in a position to win Hyde would be jettisoned for someone with experience at winning....but who is even out there that fits that profile?

I'm more interested in firing Elias

Has done nothing to fix the bullpen for 18+ months when it was an obvious weakness

Also has built a completely out of balance roster  with too many LH bats, to many below average defensive players and of course no pitching

O's should sign Will Adames to play SS, moving Gunnar and his 20 errors to 3B, Westburg to 2B, Mayo at 1B

Trade Holliday and  HK for pitching

Promote Bradfield to back up Mullins in CF

Find a good catch and frame guy to take over majority of catching, Adley aint cutting it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1