Soto this offseason

Rbiggs2525

I know this sounds crazy but I am going after Soto this offseason. They should take the money that was supposed to go to Burnes and Santander and give it to Soto. Then take the 3 compensatory picks in Cowser ROY, Santander, and Burnes to acquire young pitching. First calls I would make would be Seattle, Cincinnati, Tampa, Pittsburgh for pitching. We do not have a consistent hitter in this lineup. Gunnar is a great player but has not reached the level of Soto, Harper, Judge, Ohtani in my eyes. At this point I am not that concerned about resigning our guys as winning a title next year. I will fight that fight in 3-4 years.

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I know this sounds crazy but I am going after Soto this offseason. They should take the money that was supposed to go to Burnes and Santander and give it to Soto. Then take the 3 compensatory picks in Cowser ROY, Santander, and Burnes to acquire young pitching. First calls I would make would be Seattle, Cincinnati, Tampa, Pittsburgh for pitching. We do not have a consistent hitter in this lineup. Gunnar is a great player but has not reached the level of Soto, Harper, Judge, Ohtani in my eyes. At this point I am not that concerned about resigning our guys as winning a title next year. I will fight that fight in 3-4 years.

Are you trying to corner the market on Sotos?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Soto is going to get either the biggest contract ever or close to Ohtani’s contract.  I don’t see that happening in Baltimore.  

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Alex, I'll take Fantasies for $200. 

Edited by O's84
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the team already has enough DH types.

I'd love to have the bat, but I don't see it being a fit on any level.

I wasn't suggesting it, I was just making a joke.

6 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Harper?  Look closely at Harper.  He is very inconsistent.  He is always a very good player, but is not as elite as everyone thinks.  Look at his career.   He does usually have a good OBP, but his other numbers are up and down.  

He was elite in 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2021.  All the other years he is a very good player, but not elite.  He has a great year about every other year.  

Considering that last year was Gunnars rookie year, his numbers for the last two seasons are very much as good as Harper's numbers.  In some areas Gunnar has been better than Harper.

I think the only person who can really speak to any of this is David Rubenstein.

If he intends to maintain a future payroll that will allow them to sign Soto without compromising their ability to keep Gunnar and surround them with sufficient veteran talent, then they should sign Soto. I think that’s probably farfetched, but I’m not the billionaire who took on the task of winning a World Series in his beloved hometown.

I think folks tend to underrate Soto. I think it happened when the Yankees traded for him, and I think it still happens. He’s not just one of the best hitters in the game today — he’s thus far been one of the best hitters in the history of the game. And he’s the same age as Kjerstad and Westburg. Younger than Adley. A year older than Cowser.

Here’s the list of the most “batting runs” in MLB history through age 25:

1. Ty Cobb

2. Jimmie Foxx

3. Mickey Mantle

4. Mike Trout

5. Mel Ott

6. Albert Pujols

7. Ted Williams

8. Juan Soto

9. Alex Rodriguez

10. Rogers Hornsby

11. Hank Aaron