With you/without you in 2024

Frobby

The Orioles are 20 games over .500 at 76-56.  How have they done when various position players have started?

Henderson 75-55

Cowser 62-44

Mountcastle 66-43

Santander 71-54

Westburg 59-42

Mullins 56-38

Rutschman 64-51

Urias 36-27

Mateo 34-23

McCann 30-21

O’Hearn 55-38

Hays 18-20

Holliday 18-15

Jimenez 8-6

Kjerstad 8-11

Slater 5-4

Stowers 5-4

Norby 5-4

Mayo 4-2

McKenna 4-0

Kemp 1-1

Rivera 1-1

It’s interesting to see that Mountcastle has the best +/- at +23.   Also, only Hays (-2) and Kjerstad (-3) in the negative column.  Also, it’s interesting to see the team playing better when Adley doesn’t start (12-5) than when he does (64-51).   

• Upvote 1

McKenna 4-0.  The straw that stirs the drink.  lol

Kjerstad  8-11  Hmmm, I could be random variance, but I wonder if there are a couple of games where Kjerstad did not make a play that a good OF would have made.  Kjerstad didn't make a lot of errors, but also didn't get to a lot of balls that good OF should have.  Would 2 of those games or more been in the win column w/ good OF defender in place of Kjerstad?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Also, it’s interesting to see the team playing better when Adley doesn’t start (12-5) than when he does (64-51).   

Might have something to do with Adley hitting .333/.396/.556/.952 in 135 AB's as a DH and him hitting .230/.295/.356/.651 in 326 at bats when he is catching.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

Might have something to do with Adley hitting .333/.396/.556/.952 in 135 AB's as a DH and him hitting .230/.295/.356/.651 in 326 at bats when he is catching.

I’m counting both.  

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m counting both.  

So for this stat to mean anything we would need to:

1. Analyze the records of the teams that we played and how they were playing when we beat them when Adley was sitting.

2. Look at who pitched those days. Is Adley sitting more often when Burnes starts for example?

3. Look at the results of the person who took his place on the days where he sat.

I think on the surface those stats make sense, but if I bit some randomness can be removed if we took a deeper dive into those games where he was out.

26 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Mountcastle’s defense at first pays dividends for sure. I wonder what our win total is against left handed pitching as we’ve been using more platoons this season.

The issue is, how many mostly glove guys can you afford to play when the team isn't hitting? It feels like Mullins and Mounty hurt us offensively in long spurts.

10 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

So for this stat to mean anything we would need to:

1. Analyze the records of the teams that we played and how they were playing when we beat them when Adley was sitting.

2. Look at who pitched those days. Is Adley sitting more often when Burnes starts for example?

3. Look at the results of the person who took his place on the days where he sat.

I think on the surface those stats make sense, but if I bit some randomness can be removed if we took a deeper dive into those games where he was out.

Oh, I’m not really ascribing any meaning to the numbers I gave.  There’s a ton of noise in there.  It’s just for fun while filling a 48-hour window with no baseball.