Colorado Altitude

HowAboutThat

12 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Yes, because EVERY thread on the Hangout is for learning.  What an absolutely laughable 'defense' of yourself.

Aren’t you the guy who came into a long thread of awhile back and said the whole thread was a waste of time because it was only speculation?

The same guy calling me the thread police?    Funny stuff.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Aren’t you the guy who came into a long thread of awhile back and said the whole thread was a waste of time because it was only speculation?

The same guy calling me the thread police?    Funny stuff.

I don’t recall that but it’s possible. Speculation and the question that opened this thread are not the frame thing though, regardless. 

Continue to stay on your high horse man, it’s not a big deal. 

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I don’t recall that but it’s possible. Speculation and the question that opened this thread are not the frame thing though, regardless. 

Continue to stay on your high horse man, it’s not a big deal. 

Never said they were the frame thing.   You accused me of acting like the thread police because I questioned if the OP question was really a worthwhile exercise.   Would you like the proof that you’re a hypocrite?

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

No I don’t need anything further to know what a bombastic douche you are. I’m quite certain I’m not a hypocrite and don’t need you to tell me otherwise.

Sorry to bother you. 

Nice.  Name calling.   But you are actually a hypocrite so I don’t regard that as name calling.   

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  Go ahead and answer it.

Okay... here goes my best effort:

At real altitude (Coors Field level is 5,173' and Vail Village is 8,150' and the top lift of Vail Peak is 11,246'), the barometric pressure of the atmosphere is much lower than sea-level environments.  (Camden Yards is 17' ASL.  Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psia at Camden.  As you go higher, there is less column of air and so the pressure and air inside the same place is less.  Specifically: 12.13 psia at Coors Field (82.5%), 10.82 psia at Vail Village (73.6%), and Vail Peak is 9.62 psia (65.4%).  So... if O2 level at Seal level is 20.9%... it becomes 17.3%, 15.4% and 13.7%

The result is that oxygen molecules are spread further apart, lowering the oxygen content of each breath. As a result, the reduced availability of oxygen in the air reduces the blood oxygen saturation in the body. As the percentage of oxygen in the body goes down, the body struggles to efficiently deliver oxygen to tissues, muscles and the brain.

This is the main reason why people traveling from sea-level often feel symptoms of altitude sickness for the first week upon arriving at higher elevations. This desaturation of oxygen is what leads people to experience Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS).  Trainers will likely have O2 in cyclinders in the dugout just for these reasons.  

The other impact, more so than the 02 level which impacts Basketball/Football more, is dehydration.  RH% in Denver in the summer is usually around 20% so it is very dry.  When tourists/adventurers/etc come, they often drink.  Drinking already causes dehydration (resulting in hangovers)... so someone should make sure to tell the O's to drink 8 oz of water after any adult beverage...

The air density, as mentioned in others comments, does impact the distance of hit balls and the spin rate of pitches.  Pitchers that pitch in Denver know what is going to happen to their pitches.  So they tend to pitch better.  This, to me anyway, is the reason for more wins at home for the Rockies.  They know what to expect.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Orioles West said:

I’ve been to all the O’s v. Rox games in Denver, and it’s not a big sample size.

2004 and 2019

The O’s won one game in each series and are 2-4 in Denver.

The Rox have the all time series lead 11- 10, Baltimore holds an 8-7 edge at home.

The 2019 team was completely forgettable, but I do remember that absolute bomb Keon Broxton hit at Coors Field.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

The 2019 team was completely forgettable, but I do remember that absolute bomb Keon Broxton hit at Coors Field.

In 2004, it took a Brian Robert’s grand slam in the top of the 9th to avoid a 3-game sweep, (4-2 win — Jackson Holliday’s dad had a RBI for the Rox) — so much fun to run into O’s fans leaving that game!

2019 team had some tough moments for sure, although in that same game with the Broxton homer, John Means getting to bat and being a bit fired up drawing a walk to get on base — his reaction was memorable at least. He pitched well to start, and then the wheels came off. 

Edited by Orioles West

55 minutes ago, CHIP said:

At real altitude (Coors Field level is 5,173' and Vail Village is 8,150' and the top lift of Vail Peak is 11,246'), the barometric pressure of the atmosphere is much lower than sea-level environments.  (Camden Yards is 17' ASL.  Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psia at Camden.  As you go higher, there is less column of air and so the pressure and air inside the same place is less.  Specifically: 12.13 psia at Coors Field (82.5%), 10.82 psia at Vail Village (73.6%), and Vail Peak is 9.62 psia (65.4%).  So... if O2 level at Seal level is 20.9%... it becomes 17.3%, 15.4% and 13.7%

The result is that oxygen molecules are spread further apart, lowering the oxygen content of each breath. As a result, the reduced availability of oxygen in the air reduces the blood oxygen saturation in the body. As the percentage of oxygen in the body goes down, the body struggles to efficiently deliver oxygen to tissues, muscles and the brain.

This is the main reason why people traveling from sea-level often feel symptoms of altitude sickness for the first week upon arriving at higher elevations. This desaturation of oxygen is what leads people to experience Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS).  Trainers will likely have O2 in cyclinders in the dugout just for these reasons.  

The other impact, more so than the 02 level which impacts Basketball/Football more, is dehydration.  RH% in Denver in the summer is usually around 20% so it is very dry.  When tourists/adventurers/etc come, they often drink.  Drinking already causes dehydration (resulting in hangovers)... so someone should make sure to tell the O's to drink 8 oz of water after any adult beverage...

The air density, as mentioned in others comments, does impact the distance of hit balls and the spin rate of pitches.  Pitchers that pitch in Denver know what is going to happen to their pitches.  So they tend to pitch better.  This, to me anyway, is the reason for more wins at home for the Rockies.  They know what to expect.  

Exactly what I was thinking.  Couldn't have explained it better myself........lmfao.  Didn't even understand half the words and could only spell 36.3% of them!

3 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

I’ve been in Denver, and the altitude really takes some adjustment. My stepdaughter suffered from altitude sickness the whole time we were there, although she’d probably have adjusted if we’d stayed longer. I like hiking but wasn’t able to because I was affected by the altitude. Just walking through town was a bit of an effort.

Question is how is the higher altitude going to affect athletes who push their bodies so hard?

Baseball does have a lot of just standing around, so maybe it won’t be too much of a negative?

Is that going to be a problem for the Os?

Any comments?

I lived in a suburb of Denver for several years  and unless you do traveling in the mtns. from there, altitude was not an issue.  However  very quickly  even slightly above that,  and vehicles  as well as people needed to adjust.  The carbs on vehicles , some at least,   would need adjustment.    I would not think the Denver altitude would make a noticeable difference unless suffering from a heart condition, etc., to materially affect the  players.   

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Oriole40 said:

I lived in a suburb of Denver for several years  and unless you do traveling in the mtns. from there, altitude was not an issue.  However  very quickly  even slightly above that,  and vehicles  as well as people needed to adjust.  The carbs on vehicles , some at least,   would need adjustment.    I would not think the Denver altitude would make a noticeable difference unless suffering from a heart condition, etc., to materially affect the  players.   

I agree with this sentiment.  I've also spent time in Denver, including seeing a game at Coors. 

These guys are not MMA fighters or boxers.  They are baseball players.  It is not a cardio intensive sport.  Perhaps visiting basketball players are impacted when they play the Nuggets, but I imagine its minimal. 

4 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

I’ve been in Denver, and the altitude really takes some adjustment. My stepdaughter suffered from altitude sickness the whole time we were there, although she’d probably have adjusted if we’d stayed longer. I like hiking but wasn’t able to because I was affected by the altitude. Just walking through town was a bit of an effort.

Question is how is the higher altitude going to affect athletes who push their bodies so hard?

Baseball does have a lot of just standing around, so maybe it won’t be too much of a negative?

Is that going to be a problem for the Os?

Any comments?

Going out on a limb but I think they’ll survive the 3 days in Colorado.

2 hours ago, CHIP said:

I've heard that breaking pitches don't break as much, which can affect a player's offspeed pitches.  Coors Field is obviously a better offensive environment, but some years the difference has been extreme.  The Rockies would be scoring 6+ runs/game at home w/ something like an .850 OPS and scoring 4 runs/game on the road w/ a .650 OPS.  They would go from one of the best scoring teams to one of the worst.  I guess that would be non Rockies pitchers not adjusting well to pitching at Coors (as they only play there a few games a year) and Rockies hitters having problems adjusting to hitting outside of Coors as they are used to hitting "easier" pitches at Coors.  At least that's my understanding.