Should Rubenstein relieve Mike Elias of his duties?

webbrick2010

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The thing most are missing here is that deadline trades rarely work out for either side. 

I don't disagree here, I'm just curious...what's your definition of working out?

I do believe deadline deals are a bit overrated.  I get that the deadline is exciting but I think it's rare that a guy you pick up is the one to get you over the top.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os traded next to nothing for 10 starts.

The thing most are missing here is that deadline trades rarely work out for either side. 

The deal was fine and one you always do when you are in the position the Os were in. I think if you want to complain about something it would be why didn’t the Os get out of Flaherty what the Tigers could. To me, that’s the better conversation to have.

Where are you getting 10 starts for Mancini? The Orioles got McDermott and Seth Johnson for him. The Rays were the winner of that 3-team trade so far. Jose Siri has been worth 3.3 rWAR for them. The book is not written on McDermott yet and Seth Johnson did help get Soto. 

I 100% wonder why Flaherty was such a zero for the Orioles when he's been pretty good since. 

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't disagree here, I'm just curious...what's your definition of working out?

I do believe deadline deals are a bit overrated.  I get that the deadline is exciting but I think it's rare that a guy you pick up is the one to get you over the top.

I would define as a trade that helps you.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Where are you getting 10 starts for Mancini? The Orioles got McDermott and Seth Johnson for him. The Rays were the winner of that 3-team trade so far. Jose Siri has been worth 3.3 rWAR for them. The book is not written on McDermott yet and Seth Johnson did help get Soto. 

I 100% wonder why Flaherty was such a zero for the Orioles when he's been pretty good since. 

The 10 starts were for Flaherty.

The Os hit the Mancini trade out of the park. McDermott is a real prospect and a good arm. He’s easily worth more than Mancini was and is.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os hit the Mancini trade out of the park. McDermott is a real prospect and a good arm. He’s easily worth more than Mancini was and is.

Agree about the Mancini trade. I'd say the Mancini trade was even a win at the time it happened because he wasn't going to be used here, he was blocking other players, and it gave him an opportunity to get to a contender. I still really like McDermott, and I even thought Seth Johnson (and I still do!) has upside. 

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not yet. And his debut was unsuccessful.

1 hour ago, Prodigyx said:

After looking back at the Astros drafts from 2012 to 2017 it looks like he completely switched his draft strategy.  Which makes me wonder why. 

Could it be with Angelos as the owner he knew we couldn't or wouldnt spend big money for pitching?

Now with Rubenstein as the owner, could he be a little more willing to spend, so that could change his strategy going forward.

He wasn't the final decision maker in Houston..

This post is beyond idiotic. The guy put us in a position to be a top 5 powerhouse, even with all the injuries, and yet we have fans talking about dismissing him. We’d easily be the top team in the league if we still had our full rotation and closer in place. I can’t believe some of our fans are so blind to the fact that the entire league is salivating over our talent, yet here we are complaining. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. I know slumping sucks, but that’s just the nature of the game. For those on the fence, take a chill pill and breathe.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I do think the Mark Appel-Brady Aiken 1-2 punch might have driven some SIGBOT knobs getting turned.

Quibbling over that ligament diameter or whatever it was got them to the Bregman-Tucker pair that now is perhaps nearing the end of its run.

With those guys they were top of round 1 picks so I get the reluctance of Elias not wanting to take pitchers in the first especially high in the first. My problem is when he takes O Farrell  over Brecht with #32 pick. If he's gun shy to pick a pitcher high in the draft fine but when you get a free pick there by Gunner winning ROY for me it's  go with the high ceiling pitcher even if there is risk involved. I was disappointed the Orioles passed him up there in that spot.