9/8 Roku Rubber Match vs. Rays

ShoelesJoe

Not sure Mayo will hit a HR this year.  He has long way to go to be ready.  Present day Norby would be so much more impactful.  Let’s hope Mayo is that guy longterm. Painful to watch now in a pennant race. 

Edited by Pat Kelly

1 minute ago, Pat Kelly said:

Not sure Mayo will hit a HR this year.  He has long way to go to be ready.  Present day Norby would be so much more impactful.  Let’s hope Mayo is that guy longterm. Painful to watch now in a pennant race. 

Injuries have forced us to play guys that are clearly not major league players

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

OK, so even with ahalf a season of mediocre baseball, it was proceeded by 2 seasons of great baseball.

Once again, what he started with (and yes I know the cupboard wasn't completely bare but it wasn't great)... Elias has done a great job.

And I strongly disagree with "no basis to expect improvement".   You don't think we will get Westburg back?   You don't think we will get Rodriguez back?   You don't think we will get Urias back?   You don't think we will get Mountcastle back?   You honestly think Rutschman will remain a .176 hitter for the rest of his career?    You think Mayo will remain a .100 hitter for his career?   You don't think we will get Webb back?  You think Holliday has hit his ceiling before his 21st birthday and won't get VASTLY better than he has been?    You think O'Hearn is completely washed up?   You think Cowser had a good half season and now is just going to be bad for the rest of his career?   You don't think Kjerstad will ever contribute anything to this team?

Yes, I still call it a prolonged sl ump.   I think we have way more players underachieving than overachieving.   I think Elias has put together a team that has talent somewhere between 90 and 100 win level.  We played over our head for the first 75 games of teh season, and now we have played below the leavel we should for 69 games.   And we are STILL on pace to win 92 games despite this prolonged slump.

The assumption that this bad 69 games is a greater indication of our true talent than the 75 great games we started the season with is, IMO, just wrong.

When I said I saw no reason to expect improvement, I meant this year, and I should have made that clear. I think the Orioles' future is very bright, and will be even brighter if Elias changes his approach to building a starting rotation by drafting and bringing young talent into the system in addition to acquiring ML veterans through trades and free agent signings.

1 minute ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

This season is over. Good thing football has started. These guys have been mailing it in for weeks now.

For such a young team,  these guys look spent.  They look tired and beaten down by the season.  Not good for young guys that are supposed to bring energy at this time of year. 

3 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

This season is over. Good thing football has started. These guys have been mailing it in for weeks now.

Oakland has a better record since the all-star break.

Edited by mrbig1
spilling

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

OK, so even with ahalf a season of mediocre baseball, it was proceeded by 2 seasons of great baseball.

Once again, what he started with (and yes I know the cupboard wasn't completely bare but it wasn't great)... Elias has done a great job.

And I strongly disagree with "no basis to expect improvement".   You don't think we will get Westburg back?   You don't think we will get Rodriguez back?   You don't think we will get Urias back?   You don't think we will get Mountcastle back?   You honestly think Rutschman will remain a .176 hitter for the rest of his career?    You think Mayo will remain a .100 hitter for his career?   You don't think we will get Webb back?  You think Holliday has hit his ceiling before his 21st birthday and won't get VASTLY better than he has been?    You think O'Hearn is completely washed up?   You think Cowser had a good half season and now is just going to be bad for the rest of his career?   You don't think Kjerstad will ever contribute anything to this team?

Yes, I still call it a prolonged sl ump.   I think we have way more players underachieving than overachieving.   I think Elias has put together a team that has talent somewhere between 90 and 100 win level.  We played over our head for the first 75 games of teh season, and now we have played below the leavel we should for 69 games.   And we are STILL on pace to win 92 games despite this prolonged slump.

The assumption that this bad 69 games is a greater indication of our true talent than the 75 great games we started the season with is, IMO, just wrong.

When I said I saw no reason to expect improvement, I meant this year, and I should have made that clear. I think the Orioles' future is very bright, and will be even brighter if Elias changes his approach to building a starting rotation by drafting and bringing young talent into the system in addition to acquiring ML veterans through trades and free agent signings.

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I still expect improvement this year.