Give Burnes some rest?

Wavetrapper

• Wavetrapper changed the title to Give Burnes some rest?
1 minute ago, kaj21206 said:

He gave up two runs over 6 innings.  The offense was the problem.   

No doubt , the offense is the main issue.   I just think something’s not right with the guy.  Lot of traffic on the bases.  Deep counts.   High pitch count.  Just thinking a mini vacation might help 

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why is it clear something is wrong with him?

Very inefficient.  Pitch count very high early in game.   Lots of hard hit balls off him.  Rarely has a clean inning.  Too much traffic.   A walk = a double. Even in his now occasional “quality start” (one of my least favorite stats), he’s hardly looked dominant.

It’s a long season.  He doesn’t look sharp and hasn’t in weeks.  Why not give him a little rest?  See if it helps

2 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

Very inefficient.  Pitch count very high early in game.   Lots of hard hit balls off him.  Rarely has a clean inning.  Too much traffic.   A walk = a double. Even in his now occasional “quality start” (one of my least favorite stats), he’s hardly looked dominant.

It’s a long season.  He doesn’t look sharp and hasn’t in weeks.  Why not give him a little rest?  See if it helps

Zero of things is any indication he has an injury. Hit a wall or anything like that..in fact, many of those things have been an issue all year long..people just ignored it.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Zero of things is any indication he has an injury. Hit a wall or anything like that..in fact, many of those things have been an issue all year long..people just ignored it.

2.43 ERA and 1.045 WHIP before the all-star break

4.97 ERA and 1.342 WHIP after.

The stolen base problem was not ignored but it was tolerable when he minimized base runners and minimized damage.    It was always going to be an issue in tight games in the post season.   He wasn’t dominant in the first half but he was efficient and dependable.    The second half Burnes is closer to a #4 than a #1 and the first half Burnes was a solid #2 who we hoped would look like a #1 at some point.   So far, he’s gone in the wrong direction.

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

2.43 ERA and 1.045 WHIP before the all-star break

4.97 ERA and 1.342 WHIP after.

The stolen base problem was not ignored but it was tolerable when he minimized base runners and minimized damage.    It was always going to be an issue in tight games in the post season.   He wasn’t dominant in the first half but he was efficient and dependable.    The second half Burnes is closer to a #4 than a #1 and the first half Burnes was a solid #2 who we hoped would look like a #1 at some point.   So far, he’s gone in the wrong direction.

He started the All-Star game.  He was a top 5 pitcher in the league.  How is that a #2?

Not saying he hasn't scuffled since the break but there is no reason to downplay his first half. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He started the All-Star game.  He was a top 5 pitcher in the league.  How is that a #2?

Not saying he hasn't scuffled since the break but there is no reason to downplay his first half. 

Ok.  Maybe he was a #1.   He was super consistent but he was very rarely, what I would call dominant.   Either way, he hasn’t been nearly as good after the all-star break.   Is there anything wrong?   Would it benefit him to skip a start?    I have no idea what the problem is.     But, despite pretty good results today, I’d say there is a problem.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I didn't watch the 6th but up til then he looked pretty good. Command was good. Cutter was 93-95, sinker 95-98 where it should be. I feel like I'd like to see the sinker a bit more. At least today it was cutter cutter cutter.

Wasn’t the cutter 95-99 in the first half?

3 hours ago, Wavetrapper said:

Clearly, something is wrong with the guy. Nagging injury? Arm, fatigue? Hit the wall? Who knows.

What’s the harm in letting the guy skip a start see if he can reset on the other side

2 runs in 6 innings is good enough most days to win. The offense is all or nothing. Today it was nothing again against a 4 era starter

Edited by Roll Tide

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wasn’t the cutter 95-99 in the first half?

I don't think it is physically possible to throw a cutter 99. Pretty sure that is the sinker. 

He was hitting 99 even in some of his bad starts in the second. He might be slightly down but not a lot.