Santander taking grounders at first

Sports Guy

23 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Kjerstad should also get some reps in at first so he can be an option there as well, although now is probably not the time, best for him to DH for the rest of the season.

He had 8 starts at first at AAA this season and 37 starts there between AA and AAA in 2023.

If Mayo - who was a butcher at 1B in the minors this season -  can play 1B, then so can Kjerstad. And for the record, I'm fine occasionally playing Mayo at 1B, although I want Mayo to play over Jimenez at DH and Rivera at 3B.

After he played OK at first a few times last year, I don't understand what took so long for this to happen.  Or maybe it did/has at some point and it just wasn't reported on.  I guess we haven't seen him at first because we didn't need to before RMC was out, and because the OF will be similarly short if he plays first now.  Still, provides in game flexibility if nothing else.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• They also have a 235 BABiP in that time frame…which is way below average and 16 points less than the 29th ranked team. They have just had a lot of bad luck in the second half of this season.
    • Those teams are struggling as well, no doubt.  But in the last 12 games, they have scored 53 and 52 runs respectively while we have scored 24 runs, which is 18 fewer than the Cardinals in 29th place at 42 runs.  So other teams may be having challenges, but no team has put as much pressure on their pitching staff as we have with an offense that has completely fallen apart. I've been following the Os for 40 years, and I have never seen an offense struggle this much just to plate a few runs.  Even our awful teams could hang 8 spots on other teams down the stretch every once in awhile. 
    • Mayo definitely is a possibility…as is Basallo.    Im not worried about this yet.  I do think a year or 2 from now this could be on the shopping list. But I won’t be upset if we sign Soto. 😁
    • You've got it half right.   Missing Westburg matters when you plug in Holliday or Mayo who's negative WAR as the replacement for Westburg.  
    • Yeah, people are acting like the other wildcard teams are doing so amazing. Certain aspects of the collapse are humorous but some of these people are delusional and thinking we’re not gonna make the playoffs. Win three games you’re in
    • I threw out the names of Ron Washington/Dusty Baker initially as just the type of vet manager that we would go after being as they are the opposite of what we hired with Hyde. I think Hyde sticks, but it is concerning.  I don't blame him at all.  I think Hyde is one of the better managers in the business, and even Freddi Gonzalez has whatever "fire" that we may perceive that Hyde doesn't have.   The question is, has Hyde's message gotten stale?  
    • I am sure that the struggles and playoff anxiety is working hand in hand with this collapse.  The team lost its youthful exuberance somewhere in the second 1/2 and they just can't find themselves.  Saying that, the pitching has been solid recently and all they need to do is win a few games to limp into the playoffs.   I'm hoping at that point they can take a deep breath and get back to that loose arrogance they had.  I think in this case being young may help them reset for the playoffs.  
  • Popular Contributors