Elias taking accountability

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I don't think we lost a ton because Cowser covers LF just fine, and Slater has been fine as a RHB platoon guy/4th OF.  Of all the guys we lost Hays is pretty low on the list of people we actually miss.

Norby and Stowers were solid depth that would have covered for our injuries, if not a bit wasted if the injuries didn't happen.

Hays has played 19 games for the Phillies and has been on the IL twice.

7 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I also don't think he is the type of player that ages well.

Curious about this opinion since he is having his career year at age 29 and his trend is up, OPS+ 94, 120, 121, 132 his past 4 seasons

I have said it in many posts, I think he has some Joey Bautista potential.

But he would need to be valued as a 1B/DH and not an outfielder.

Bautista had a .342 career OBP through his age 29 season.

Santander has a .307 career OBP with a dozen-ish games to go in his age 29 season.

Mark Trumbo is actually a much better comp for Santander than Jose Bautista:

Santander through age 29- .246/.307/.469

Trumbo through age 29- .250/.300/.458

53 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I don't think we lost a ton because Cowser covers LF just fine, and Slater has been fine as a RHB platoon guy/4th OF.  Of all the guys we lost Hays is pretty low on the list of people we actually miss.

Norby and Stowers were solid depth that would have covered for our injuries, if not a bit wasted if the injuries didn't happen.

Cowser was playing CF most days because Mullins was slumping hard. The discussion was based on how we wound up with 4 AAAA players wound up on the team.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Cowser was playing CF most days because Mullins was slumping hard. The discussion was based on how we wound up with 4 AAAA players wound up on the team.

Mullins started picking it up before Hays was traded.  But we had Slater to platoon for him.  Besides we didn't really trade any OFers other than Stowers, who isn't exactly LF in OPACY material either.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I was hoping that would be this season, but he faded this second half. But even Gunnar not living up to his lofty expectation is still a good player with an .811 OPS.
    • Mike Elias simply can't offer Michael Baumann, Cristian Pache, Connor Norby and Kyle Stowers this kind of experience. Jack Flaherty was kind of Meh again, but hey, at least he isn't on Detroit for this weekend. It is a special player to get to watch.    He's reviving some of the Babe Ruth "he hits too brilliantly to let him pitch" stuff, but hombre is going to do whatever he wants to do, it is part of the deal.    It does seem pretty likely the SB to this scale are a 1-time deal with the legs getting the year off from the mound. I do have a baseball-y wish to see if he could be Ken Griffey, Jr. in center field if he tried.
    • 6-4 (54 RS, 34 RA) 7-3 (63 RS, 59 RA) 6-4 (40 RS, 28 RA) 7-3 (43 RS, 31 RA) 6-4 (48 RS, 38 RA) 7-3 (58 RS, 29 RA) 7-3 (50 RS, 28 RA) 4-6 (61 RS, 60 RA) 7-3 (46 RS, 51 RA) 3-7 (32 RS, 50 RA) 5-5 (60 RS, 62 RA) 5-5 (50 RS, 49 RA) 5-5 (46 RS, 45 RA) 6-4 (54 RA, 36 RA) 3-7 (21 RA, 44 RA) 0-1 vs. CWS, 1-2 vs. TBR, 1-2 at BOS, 1-2 at DET Three games late with this update.   It was our worst offensive ten game segment by a wide margin.  
    • Hopefully it will be like giving a blood transfusion to a sickly patient. Yes some players haven't played as well this season, but it's mainly the injuries that have taken it's toll. The lineup gets much better if Westburg, Urias and Mountcastle are back. No longer does Eloy have to play and Holliday can be platooned. Plus O'Hearn will absolutely not see at bats against LHP like he has been recently at times. Webb and Coulombe provide depth to make the bullpen postseason viable. And Coulombe can close games instead of Dominguez assuming he's back all the way.
    • Gunnar stands to improve on: fielding and stolen bases. I also think he’ll have a 1.000OPS season or two before he’s done.
    • Maybe they were going by Tony's reaction, not realizing that with the winning run on third there wasn't any point in running.
    • looks like some of y'all are gonna be pissed when we win 2 of 3 against Detroit, at least one in NY and 2 o 3 against Minn.  I'd be embarassed if I were some of you....projecting the apathy and misery in your own little lives onto our O's.  This is a F upped sport and a team with talent like this can turn on a dime and start winning consistently at any time.  This isn't over.  I you're mad that your life hasn't worked out well......please don't bring the rest of us down.  
  • Popular Contributors