Can Cowser still win Rookie of The Year over Gil/Wells ?

jem709

47 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

The most recent decently close ROY race between a position player and a starting pitcher was back in 2019. Yordan Alvarez hit 27 dingers, hit 313, and had a 3.7 bWAR. The guy who finished in 2nd place? John Means. He won 12 games for a really bad Orioles team that only won 54 games. He had a 3.60 ERA, 4.41 FIP, 131 ERA+ and a 4.4 bWAR. Yes, he had a higher bWAR than Alvarez and still lost.

You’re really telling an incomplete story on Alvarez, who hit an amazing .313/.412/.655 on the year, good for a 173 OPS+.   He didn’t debut until the 67th game of the season, so he accumulated his 3.7 rWAR in less than 60% of a full season.  He hit at a pace that over a full year would have gone for 45 homers and 130 RBI.   

I think Cowser vs. Gil is a coin flip situation.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You’re really telling an incomplete story on Alvarez, who hit an amazing .313/.412/.655 on the year, good for a 173 OPS+.   He didn’t debut until the 67th game of the season, so he accumulated his 3.7 rWAR in less than 60% of a full season.  He hit at a pace that over a full year would have gone for 45 homers and 130 RBI.   

I think Cowser vs. Gil is a coin flip situation.   

Oh, sure. Partial season. But let's be frank here. Gary Sanchez played in 53 games and put up 20 dingers and 42 RBI with a 168 OPS+. Over the course of a full season, that'd be 61 homers and 128 RBI and 9 bWAR. And he was actually a plus defender at the time (Sanchez). And Sanchez lost by far to the guy that played a full season. 

I get it. Alvarez played 87 games to Sanchez's 53, but it's still only half a season (give or take) for Yordan. And both of those players were rookie eligible. 

My main point is that the voters have a tendency to vote position player, hell even position players that only barely played half a season compared to a full season of a starting pitcher who really had a much better season than Luis Gil.

I'm about 60/40 (Cowser/Gil), but that's because I'm a bigger fan of fWAR in these circumstances, and I think Gil was worse than his ERA and W/L record would indicate. :shrug: 

4 hours ago, The B&G said:

This is fully what I expect, so won't be disappointed when it happens. Hoping I'm pleasantly surprised, would be awesome to grab another 1st rd pick and Colton deserves the hardware!

This is what I think too.