Wieters

VC@WilliamMary

Do you remember when the slotting issue became something MLB focused on? I could be wrong, but I think it was in place when the Cubs ponied up for Bobby Brownlie. They also went over slot for other picks that draft.

Depends on what you mean by "something MLB focused on."

Unofficial slotting guidelines have been around for some time.

Selig and co. attempting to exert pressure to abide by them is a relatively new thing that's evolved over the last few years.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends on what you mean by "something MLB focused on."

Unofficial slotting guidelines have been around for some time.

Selig and co. attempting to exert pressure to abide by them is a relatively new thing that's evolved over the last few years.

I mean the pressuring of teams... Weren't they doing that back in 2002 when I believe Brownlie (among other slot busting picks) were drafted?

Doesn't significant progress need to be made by the morning for us to have a real shot at signing him?

Well the whole thing about having his physical completed is something I've been wondering about.

Whats the physical entail? 25 jumping jacks and coughing twice?

But I'm inclined to think that we need to have significant progress made by the morning really needs to happen to get this done.

Well the whole thing about having his physical completed is something I've been wondering about.

Whats the physical entail? 25 jumping jacks and coughing twice?

But I'm inclined to think that we need to have significant progress made by the morning really needs to happen to get this done.

Yea i don't know about the physical...Where is Wieters right now?

Do they have him in Baltimore just in case? Do they have team doctors near him where they could quickly administer a physical??

Yea i don't know about the physical...Where is Wieters right now?

Do they have him in Baltimore just in case? Do they have team doctors near him where they could quickly administer a physical??

I don't think these are things anyone really knows the answer to.

You'd hope having him in Bmore would be the case...or like you said, having team doctors nearby. . . . .

Why couldn't they do the physical ahead of time?

Didn't Loewen sign something like minutes before the deadline? Do you think he did the physical that late? I would think it's quite possible Wieters already had a physical. I don't see why they wouldn't do it now to make sure everything's out of the way, or why the order would matter.

The physical, like many other minor aspects to the negotiations, can be worked around.

Perhaps Boras already had a quality doctor provide a physical and all that is required is the Orioles to accept the documentation of that physical. Perhaps both sides have agreed to a mutually acceptable quality, local doctor wherever Wieters is and that can take place tomorrow. Perhaps the Os waive the contingent physical.

The lawyers can sit on a bunch of documents and have everyone sign them tomorrow once the final numbers and clauses are agreed to.

All of this stuff can be worked through quickly once the lawyers are told to stop quibbling - the negotiating is over and get it done.

Papers to the commish's office can be sent via fax or email using pdf files.

Why couldn't they do the physical ahead of time?

Didn't Loewen sign something like minutes before the deadline? Do you think he did the physical that late? I would think it's quite possible Wieters already had a physical. I don't see why they wouldn't do it now to make sure everything's out of the way, or why the order would matter.

It wouldn't make sense for Weiters and Boras to go flying to Baltimore and take the time and inconvenience of a physical if there's a chance they're not signing. What would be the advantage from their point of view? It encourages the O's to settle quicker to leave time for that. I agree this one needs to be close to wrapping up by tomorrow mid-day for it to happen. Hopefully there's a lot of late night negotiating going on.

Archived