Wieters

VC@WilliamMary

Scared money don't make money...

If it gets down to the wire, I'd offer him $8M flat. That's fair for the #5 pick, it's way above slot, it's more than Porcello got, and it's a compromise between $6M and $10-11M. If they turn it down, then you made your best offer, but they can't try to do it on the cheap to get a player to cave to save $2M.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't worry, starting Friday (after the Wieters POST deadline day of madness) we'll be right back to the "Sign Teixiera after 2008" threads! :D

Actually, starting Friday will be the "I'm not a fan of this team anymore" posts, while on Monday we'll have the "why can't I stop being a fan of this team?" posts. At long last, on Tuesday, we'll resume our previously scheduled "Sign Teixeira after 2008" threads (and possibly some "bring up Jon Knott" threads for good measure).

Scared money don't make money...

If it gets down to the wire, I'd offer him $8M flat. That's fair for the #5 pick, it's way above slot, it's more than Porcello got, and it's a compromise between $6M and $10-11M. If they turn it down, then you made your best offer, but they can't try to do it on the cheap to get a player to cave to save $2M.

Are you saying $6 million is on the cheap? That would represent one of the higher amounts ever shelled out to a draft pick.

Are you saying $6 million is on the cheap? That would represent one of the higher amounts ever shelled out to a draft pick.

I agree with you, but what I think is cheap and you think is cheap is not relevant. The market doesn't care what you and I think. If the market determines $6 million or $10 million is the price to pay, then the only issue is whether the O's want to pay market value for this talent at this time. If they don't want to pay, they lose the talent and move on

It takes money to make money!

That's what I've been hoping someone would tell PA for 5-6 years now. Anybody who run's a buisness knows this. Why the heck can't he figure it out ?

Does anyone how much Boras is asking for ? Nevermind, I found it one of the other threads about this.

No, that's not what I was referring to. I think it's a hefty sum for anyone. However, that being said, a bonus was already paid of $7M+ for Porcello. I can see Weiters wanting more than that at this point. As was so eloquently said, the market sets itself so if you bid far under the market, it can be referred to as being cheap.

I agree with you, but what I think is cheap and you think is cheap is not relevant. The market doesn't care what you and I think. If the market determines $6 million or $10 million is the price to pay, then the only issue is whether the O's want to pay market value for this talent at this time. If they don't want to pay, they lose the talent and move on

I'm just not sure that $10 million plus is the market, and not a market anomoly. The #6 pick signed with the Nats in the $2-2.5 million range. Why isn't that the market? That said, the "market" for a Boras client does seem to be higher. However, the Drew and Weaver negotiations do show that what Boras wants and what he gets are not always the same.

Archived