Wieters

VC@WilliamMary

Several on here have a said that the physicals could be done before the agrement. Not a chance of that happening. The agent would and should be fired for something like that. what you think the club would not use it in negotiations. Almost all players have something in some joint that would be a cause for concern. It is the nature of playing sports at a very high level. I would think the terms would have to be fundamentally set before the team's medical staff got a close look. The exception would be where a player had injury history and was attempting to show the club they were sound.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed but on the other hand, name me one thing that the Orioles have done the past ten years to warrent fans sticking with them. I have been an Orioles fan since I was born and I've continued to be one even when the Nats moved into my back yard. Now though, I just see no reason for optimism. If they can't sign Wieters here, do you honestly believe they'll pony up the money for Bedard in a couple of years.

Now, give me one good reason why I shouldn't stop taking the two hour car ride to Camden Yards and not driving twenty minutes to the new ballpark in Anacostia.

I agree with you. If this team wants to taken seriously, the deal must get done. In a year where they overspent for questionable bullpen talent and with a weak free agent class, all they can do is to extend the talent already here and sign their high picks.

If this does not happen, then they are not willing to pay to compete. Then I can sit at home and watch the games rather than renewing my 42 game plan and save 2K a year.

Beyond the on the field positives for signing Wieters. I also think it would be a nice gesture from the organization to the fans.

A peace offering if you will. As fans, we've been treated to endless amounts of horrible management, terrible FA signings, poor on field play and humilition in the press. Signing Wieters would go along way towards giving the fans something positive to cling to. Alot of us, even the most diehards, are really hanging on by the thread with this team, throwing us a bone would go along way towards rebuilding moral amongst the fanbase, IMO.

Beyond the on the field positives for signing Wieters. I also think it would be a nice gesture from the organization to the fans.

A peace offering if you will. As fans, we've been treated to endless amounts of horrible management, terrible FA signings, poor on field play and humilition in the press. Signing Wieters would go along way towards giving the fans something positive to cling to. Alot of us, even the most diehards, are really hanging on by the thread with this team, throwing us a bone would go along way towards rebuilding moral amongst the fanbase, IMO.

This isn't even "a kind gesture" type of thing. It's signing our freaking draft pick... it just has to be done. We shouldn't be thanking the front office for this when it gets done, it just has to get done. It's such a no-brainer type of move. (Although I guess "Baltimore" on the road jerseys is a no brainer as well - and that does not seem to be going anywhere.)

I think they realize this though and the deal gets done late tomorrow.

A true fan sticks with his team no matter the struggles it goes through.
Struggles are when a team plays in a small market, without a rich owner, and can't afford to sign the big guys. Struggles are when a team does everything right, but is set back by injuries and bad luck. These aren't struggles. If we don't sign Wieters, it indicates that the front office puts winning way down on the list of priorities. If they don't want it, it would be foolish of me to support them. They've made plenty of these kinds of mistakes in the past and I've stuck with them, but this would be indisputable proof that they don't really care. It would be the last straw.

It's like staying in a relationship with someone who doesn't even really like you that much.

This was in Baseball America a few hours ago:

"Though there have been reports that the Orioles won’t be able to sign Wieters, Baltimore scouting director Joe Jordan expressed optimism Monday that a deal could be reached. Jordan, who declined to discuss specifics, also has an unsigned Boras client in the fifth round: Texas Christian righthander Jake Arrieta."

Not sure where Jordan "expressed optimism" but maybe it's not so bad.

Struggles are when a team plays in a small market, without a rich owner, and can't afford to sign the big guys. Struggles are when a team does everything right, but is set back by injuries and bad luck. These aren't struggles. If we don't sign Wieters, it indicates that the front office puts winning way down on the list of priorities. If they don't want it, it would be foolish of me to support them. They've made plenty of these kinds of mistakes in the past and I've stuck with them, but this would be indisputable proof that they don't really care. It would be the last straw.

It's like staying in a relationship with someone who doesn't even really like you that much.

I'm inclined to agree here, though I'd never change my allegiance to a different team. This is the team that I followed as a kid, will continually follow as an adult and hopefully have my kids follow later on in life.

But I can't fault anyone for feeling the way Jshkrauss does.

I think i saw Arrieta wanting 900K-1 million....What are we offering? How could we not get him done?

When he was drafted, Jordan said we got 3 first round talents...Wieters, Bascom and Arrieta...So, he wanted him here and knew what it would take.

Correction: He may have had an idea/estimate/guess on what he thought it would take.

Unless Jordan knows some way to calculate for X in the Boras equation:

Boras Clients Demand * X% = amount player will sign for

But unfortunately the Boras equation is unsolvable beforehand. He could only guess what it would take to get it done.

Enough hysteria.

All of the Boras clients are in the same boat (except one).

Most, if not all, do sign late in the process. This year will likely be the same.

The Orioles knew what they were getting themselves into.

Unless Boras pulled a fast one and misled the Orioles pre-draft- there shouldnt be any surprises. And even if that were the case (Boras dirty dealing) it would get out and he would stand to lose a lot more than the Orioles in credibility / reputation / future business, etc...

With Wieters- it is in both sides interest to get a deal done. It is as simple as that. Both sides stand much to lose if a deal doesn't get done.

Actually it appears as though it was the O's who pulled a fast one... they hired MacPhail.

I'd agree with everything you say about the Orioles knowing what they were getting themselves into etc. -- if things were business as usual at the Warehouse.

The main thing to fear is that MacPhail won't commit to what the prior FO was seemingly ready to commit to.

Actually it appears as though it was the O's who pulled a fast one... they hired MacPhail.

I'd agree with everything you say about the Orioles knowing what they were getting themselves into etc. -- if things were business as usual at the Warehouse.

The main thing to fear is that MacPhail won't commit to what the prior FO was seemingly ready to commit to.

Davearm, can you tell us a little about McPhail when Prior was signed by the Cubs? Was McPhail at the helm of the Cubs at that time? How much was he involved and didnt he have to approve the $$$ given to Prior?

You don't think Boras gave him some parameters? Mentioned previous players and contracts? Please! What were these two talking about? Crackerjacks and hot dogs at the ballpark?

Let's look again at last mega draftees.

Do you honestly think that Boras gave the Angels parameters that would lead them to believe that Weaver would sign for a signing bonus worth under 40% of he was asking?

Do you hoestly believe that Boras gave the Diamondbacks the idea that Drew would sign a ML contract for under 50% of what he was demanding?

Do you think that while Duq was talking to Boras that Boras letting on that while his asking price is going to be X that if negotations dragged out he'd eventually settle for X% of that? You don't find that as ridiculous as I do?

Davearm, can you tell us a little about McPhail when Prior was signed by the Cubs? Was McPhail at the helm of the Cubs at that time? How much was he involved and didnt he have to approve the $$$ given to Prior?

MacPhail was the Cubs' GM, and Hendry was in charge of amateur scouting and player development at that time.

I think it's probably fair to say that Prior was Hendry's choice, and MacPhail signed off on drafting him, even given his contract demands.

Now although signability was certainly a major issue in drafting back then, the big difference between then and now is that (to my recollection anyway) there was no pressure being exerted by the commissioner to keep signings in line with draft slots.

And that is really what's at work here with Wieters, IMO. I don't think MacPhail is reluctant to spend the money so much as he's reluctant to trample on the guidelines that he himself worked to implement.

MacPhail was the Cubs' GM, and Hendry was in charge of amateur scouting and player development at that time.

I think it's probably fair to say that Prior was Hendry's choice, and MacPhail signed off on drafting him, even given his contract demands.

Now although signability was certainly a major issue in drafting back then, the big difference between then and now is that (to my recollection anyway) there was no pressure being exerted by the commissioner to keep signings in line with draft slots.

And that is really what's at work here with Wieters, IMO. I don't think MacPhail is reluctant to spend the money so much as he's reluctant to trample on the guidelines that he himself worked to implement.

Do you remember when the slotting issue became something MLB focused on? I could be wrong, but I think it was in place when the Cubs ponied up for Bobby Brownlie. They also went over slot for other picks that draft.

Archived