Co-hitting coach Ryan Fuller, Fredi Gonzalez and Jose Hernandez let go, Matt Borgschulte leaves

Tony-OH

58 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I really don't know what's going on other than the hitting was very poor situationally in the 2nd half of the season and was a bust in the playoffs. 

Perhaps Elias realized the hitting philosophy needs some refinement or tweaking? Maybe he realized that having two voices plus a hitting strategy coach was not working? Maybe he's giving guys a chance to find other positions vs "firing them?" 

In the end, I don't think anyone should be too upset over the hitting coaches leaving/being let go. I certainly hope they bring in a hitting coach who has some major league experience. Allow that coach to make the hitting adjustments while the strategy coach digs up the pertinent information to help the situation. 

I truly think it helps to have a guy who has been there and done that at the major league level to help young hitters out. When hitters struggle over long periods of time, they start to get anxious and many will seek help. But its got to be tough for them to really take what a hitting coach who came out of lab and was coaching high schoolers not that long before he got the job, seriously. 

Hitting is a feel thing and some guys can't take too much information. Some guys need that guy who can simplify things. 

My guess is that things had become a little complicated with three voices and no major league experience. 

I agree totally. Analytics are fine but you have to keep it simple when facing ML Pitchers.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I really don't know what's going on other than the hitting was very poor situationally in the 2nd half of the season and was a bust in the playoffs. 

Perhaps Elias realized the hitting philosophy needs some refinement or tweaking? Maybe he realized that having two voices plus a hitting strategy coach was not working? Maybe he's giving guys a chance to find other positions vs "firing them?" 

In the end, I don't think anyone should be too upset over the hitting coaches leaving/being let go. I certainly hope they bring in a hitting coach who has some major league experience. Allow that coach to make the hitting adjustments while the strategy coach digs up the pertinent information to help the situation. 

I truly think it helps to have a guy who has been there and done that at the major league level to help young hitters out. When hitters struggle over long periods of time, they start to get anxious and many will seek help. But its got to be tough for them to really take what a hitting coach who came out of lab and was coaching high schoolers not that long before he got the job, seriously. 

Hitting is a feel thing and some guys can't take too much information. Some guys need that guy who can simplify things. 

My guess is that things had become a little complicated with three voices and no major league experience. 

thanks Tony, appreciate the thoughts.  Super odd thing overall.  At the end of the day, the hitting from this team has been unacceptable for months and it needs to change.  My biggest worry going into next season is that the hitting picks up where it left off and we are left with an 81 win team.