Meoli on the 1st base situation

Sports Guy

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

One reason would be they think Mountcastle is better than him. 

Mountcastle is better than Mayo. Currently. Defensively he’s very good. He hits well at OPACY especially against lefties. He’s serviceable against righties. 

Right now Mayo can’t play 3B well enough not to be a liability. It hasn’t been proven he can play 1B well enough. And he has issues with outside pitches and offspeed pitches low in the zone. Yeah, 50 or so PA in the majors doesn’t define a player, but Mayo needs work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, casadeozo said:

Outlets like the Banner have a very old school approach what makes a winning team. 

One of the best reporters tried to make the case for Santander as the team MVP. 

certainly Mayos production during his time in the majors wasn’t awe inspiring, but they seem to ignore how flawed of a hitter Mountcastle.

sure he is a good to very good defender, but I’d much rather have a good to very good hitter and below average defender. His egregious swing and miss and aggressive approach is an aspect of this team I will not miss. 

Meoli is very analytical, modern. 

He isn’t an old school type of writer. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

O’Hearn is a lefty though. I think Mayo is tied directly to Mountcastle. 

Have to see. 

I understand that but it’s just bad roster management to have both of them here.

Mayo is ready to be here. You can’t keep these guys down and then bring them up and play sparingly. It’s an awful way to develop.

They really screwed up Mayo in 2024 and they can’t keep doing that. 

Has anyone considered that perhaps it's not Adley's catching games that needs to be reduced but his DHing? When other top catchers get a day off from catching, they get a day off. Maybe he just wears down. I know his DH numbers look good, but right now, he's our best catching option. We have guys who can DH.

13 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

Has anyone considered that perhaps it's not Adley's catching games that needs to be reduced but his DHing? When other top catchers get a day off from catching, they get a day off. Maybe he just wears down. I know his DH numbers look good, but right now, he's our best catching option. We have guys who can DH.

Of course.  This whole Adley is better as a DH is so overblown.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I understand that but it’s just bad roster management to have both of them here.

Mayo is ready to be here. You can’t keep these guys down and then bring them up and play sparingly. It’s an awful way to develop.

They really screwed up Mayo in 2024 and they can’t keep doing that. 

In what world did they screw up Mayo? His arm slot changes at 3B were supposed to improve his defense, but it was still a shortcoming and liability. He didn't hit worth a lick and was exposed to pitches outside as well as breaking balls. He was overmatched. Arguably speaking he should have been sent down and not called back up, that I could get behind. But when he wasn't hitting a lick when called up *and* defensively the O's were challenged, there was a large blackhole throughout the lineup because the rest of the guys weren't hitting either.

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

In what world did they screw up Mayo? His arm slot changes at 3B were supposed to improve his defense, but it was still a shortcoming and liability. He didn't hit worth a lick and was exposed to pitches outside as well as breaking balls. He was overmatched. Arguably speaking he should have been sent down and not called back up, that I could get behind. But when he wasn't hitting a lick when called up *and* defensively the O's were challenged, there was a large blackhole throughout the lineup because the rest of the guys weren't hitting either.

Not gonna speak for SG, but IMO...bringing him up, and only playing him a bit here and there wasn't doing him any favors.  

He'd have been better off playing every day at AAA and mashing instead of being up in Baltimore going 0-4 and waiting two days to have to go 0-4 again.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not gonna speak for SG, but IMO...bringing him up, and only playing him a bit here and there wasn't doing him any favors.  

He'd have been better off playing every day at AAA and mashing instead of being up in Baltimore going 0-4 and waiting two days to have to go 0-4 again.  

He was called up and started 3 games in a row. Then he played sporadically thereafter. I think it was entirely linked to how Eloy was hitting and how poorly Mayo looked. The coaches up here had to see something wrong if they pulled the playing time that quickly. 

I really wonder if Elias called Mayo up just to see if they could catch lightning in a bottle if he hit the ground running, and he just showed very poorly. 

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

He was called up and started 3 games in a row. Then he played sporadically thereafter. I think it was entirely linked to how Eloy was hitting and how poorly Mayo looked. The coaches up here had to see something wrong if they pulled the playing time that quickly. 

I really wonder if Elias called Mayo up just to see if they could catch lightning in a bottle if he hit the ground running, and he just showed very poorly. 

I hope catching lighting in a bottle wasn't an actual plan.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope catching lighting in a bottle wasn't an actual plan.  

My wording was more around just how bad this team construction looked around that time due to injury concerns and nobody really hitting. Then Eloy acquired, hits well, Mayo looked terrible offensively and defensively, and then shortly thereafter Ramon starts hitting again. 

His bat looked good enough for a call up. So, lightning in a bottle was more about seeing it'd translate to help right this ship somewhere/anywhere. 

Edited by LookitsPuck

4 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

My wording was more around just how bad this team construction looked around that time due to injury concerns and nobody really hitting. Then Eloy acquired, hits well, Mayo looked terrible offensively and defensively, and then shortly thereafter Ramon starts hitting again. 

That's fair.  

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not only that but continuously playing him at third, in the minors, when he doesn’t have a future at that position in the majors (in Baltimore) made zero sense. 

You can’t logically look at how they handled Mayo and come away thinking they did right by him. That’s just insane.

• Upvote 2