Rubenstein: Orioles will speed up the effort to get to a World Series

waroriole

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2024/10/19/rubenstein-orioles-will-speed-effort-get-world-series/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=rubenstein-orioles-will-speed-effort-get-world-series

Surprised this wasn’t already posted. Potential bold statement, of course let’s see how they put it in practice. Maybe it means go all in one year and acquire at the deadline. Or maybe it means a payroll north of 150M consistently. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, waroriole said:

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2024/10/19/rubenstein-orioles-will-speed-effort-get-world-series/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=rubenstein-orioles-will-speed-effort-get-world-series

Surprised this wasn’t already posted. Potential bold statement, of course let’s see how they put it in practice. Maybe it means go all in one year and acquire at the deadline. Or maybe it means a payroll north of 150M consistently. 

Maybe it means nothing.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I think waiting at the deadline to go “all in” is just a bad strategy.  You never know who is available and how much they will cost.  With the current playoff structure there are less assets overall to acquire and the very good ones you are likely going to overpay for them.  Spend some money between now and Feb.  Sign two legit starting pitchers like Burns and/or Blake Snell and get a veteran power hitter.  That maybe Santander or someone else.  

• Upvote 1

Why do writers say stuff like this? Him speaking some words should convince us he’s serious?  WTF? It proves nothing. 

Rubenstein isn’t going to have endless patience and his vow to “speed up the effort” for a World Series should convince the fans that he’s serious about competing

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do writers say stuff like this? Him speaking some words should convince us he’s serious?  WTF? It proves nothing. 

Rubenstein isn’t going to have endless patience and his vow to “speed up the effort” for a World Series should convince the fans that he’s serious about competing

Because he wants Rubenstein to give another interview at a later date.

2 hours ago, accinfo said:

I think waiting at the deadline to go “all in” is just a bad strategy.  You never know who is available and how much they will cost.  With the current playoff structure there are less assets overall to acquire and the very good ones you are likely going to overpay for them.  Spend some money between now and Feb.  Sign two legit starting pitchers like Burns and/or Blake Snell and get a veteran power hitter.  That maybe Santander or someone else.  

I agree and there's no good excuse now with Rubenstein as the owner. We don't know how much money he's willing to spend, but getting a couple key free agents or making a splash trade would show this isn't just talk.

There's only a handful of teams selling at the trade deadline and they have the advantage in trade negotiations. It's not like we don't know the Orioles need a starting pitcher, bullpen help and a MOO bat if one is on the market. So address these needs now not next July.

If the team really is going to have a larger payroll, I'm curious to see how Elias handles this given the Orioles have not been big spenders under his tenure.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So they can get clicks. Cmon. 

IMO, spending money doesn't always equate. Spending money wisely may equate better. Then there is the big element of luck - sign right player(s) - player(s) stay healthy - players perform - get to the playoffs on a heater and stay on it! So I don 't see where an owner can speed anything up except to give the GM an ample budget and hope like heck he or she knows what they are doing. The Orioles have a good core. This off season we will see a new ownership and Elias in action. All this fluff stuff in the press means nothing. And, I am not holding Burnes out as the litmus test because of the "wisely" element and it takes two to sign a contract. We should have a better idea of the direction we are going by spring training. One thing I will add that I think is positive - we wouldn't have been having this conversation this time last year nor reviewing a similar press release! 😀