Let's Guess The Top Five Draft Picks

1.Strasburg

2.Ackley

3.Green

4.White

5.Matzek

I think you are riding the coattails of Greg's old draft opinions (his off-season draft threads/draft site).

If you looked over recent draft opinions from Law, Mayo, Churchill, Baseball America and threads from CrawDad/Stotle. Both Grant Green (doubts on his ability to stay at SS and bat) and Alex White (mechanics) are not strong consensus top 10 talent based on their 2009 season.

If you looked over recent draft opinions from Law, Mayo, Churchill, Baseball America and threads from CrawDad/Stotle. Both Grant Green (doubts on his ability to stay at SS and bat) and Alex White (mechanics) are not considered top 10 talent based on their 2009 season.

That's simply not true. While both have questions about them, so does everyone else. They will both almost certainly end up in the top 10, if not the top 5.

I'm including in this my estimate of how I think the rest of the season will go for these players:

1. WAS -Strasburg

2. SEA - White

3. SDN - Matzek

4. PIT - Crow

5. BAL - Ackley

I'd flip Ackley and Matzek. Ackley feels like a San Diego FO type. Though it seems they might have a new perspective in place. I think Matzek would be a better selection than Ackley, though.

I'm including in this my estimate of how I think the rest of the season will go for these players:

1. WAS -Strasburg

2. SEA - White

3. SDN - Matzek

4. PIT - Crow

5. BAL - Ackley

I would love for Ackley to fall to us but I don't see it happening.

1. WAS - Strasburg

2. SEA - Ackley

3. SD - Matzek

4. PIT - Gibson

5. BAL - Purke

I would love for Ackley to fall to us but I don't see it happening.

1. WAS - Strasburg

2. SEA - Ackley

3. SD - Matzek

4. PIT - Gibson

5. BAL - Purke

I think White does very well in the college world series and ends up right where he started. SDN has OF in the minors but less pitching -- could see them jumping at the HSer. Gibson to PIT is decent, but I think they ante up for Crow (they are serious about rebuilding there).

I'd flip Ackley and Matzek. Ackley feels like a San Diego FO type. Though it seems they might have a new perspective in place. I think Matzek would be a better selection than Ackley, though.

I agree with that -- just thinking maybe SDN doesn't put Ackley in the way of their other OF talents with comparable pitching value at 1:3.

I think White does very well in the college world series and ends up right where he started. SDN has OF in the minors but less pitching -- could see them jumping at the HSer. Gibson to PIT is decent, but I think they ante up for Crow (they are serious about rebuilding there).

Yeah, I guess it is me questioning that Kulbacki and Hunter will both do well. I think Ackley gives some balance to that. But, you are correct that they have not much MiL pitching behind Adis. Ackley, to me, just looks so much like a SD player. I am probably being irrational.

Yeah, I guess it is me questioning that Kulbacki and Hunter will both do well. I think Ackley gives some balance to that. But, you are correct that they have not much MiL pitching behind Adis. Ackley, to me, just looks so much like a SD player. I am probably being irrational.

No, quiet rational. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

I agree with that -- just thinking maybe SDN doesn't put Ackley in the way of their other OF talents with comparable pitching value at 1:3.

They are the problem with my mock, cause I can see them going a lot of directions. I could see them taking Matzek to supply the lower levels with a stud prospect. I could see them taking Ackley to give them another position prospect that could be up while they still have AGonz. I could just as easily see them take a Crow or White to try to get them up sooner than later to replace Peavy, whom they could deal for enough ML ready talent to play with one of the two of them.

I could really envision this going about 5 different ways, but here's a guess:

1. WAS -Strasburg

2. SEA - Ackley

3. SDN - Matzek

4. PIT - Crow

5. BAL - White

Although I bet we'd have a lengthy discussion about whether to go for White or Green at 1:5. It's a tossup to me. There's a lot of comparable talent after Strasburg. No sure things, no once-in-a-few-years talent, but lots of solid value.

IMO Green is too risky of a pick this high up. I would much rather take a chance of injury with Crow or White-neither of them are projects. They both will have stuff to work on, but both White and Crow can be major league pitchers without much further development. Green is going to need to fine tune his fielding, hope that his body fills out, but not too much so he has to move off of SS, he will have to work on making better contact and hoping the power comes along AND he will have to work on being more patient at the plate. That sure is a lot of stuff to have to work on when selecting a supposed elite talent college position player.

Archived