They Were Orioles?

ShaneDawg85

Harold Baines: clearly a White Sock. He's coaching with them now I think.

Hew is their first base coach. During the series with the White Sox they had a nice video highlight package of Harold playing and he got a nice round of applause.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ed Lopat 1955 O's. Last two months of his big league career. Won 166 games, most of them with the Yanks. A "crafty left hander," who one 4 WS games between 1949 and 1953.

Ryne Duren 1954 O's One game. Traded to KC for the next year and eventually the Yanks where he gained his greatest notariaty. Considered by some to be one of the first modern day closers. Threw an upper 90's fastball. Wore thick, "coke bottle" glasses. Was reputed to throw his first warm up pitch (high 90's) over the catcher to the back stop to get everyone's attention. Was credited with 20 saves with the 58 Yanks.

Bob Turley, probably been mentioned. Won 14 games for the '54 O's. Traded to Yank that winter in the big trade that sent him, Don Larsen and Billy Hunter to the Yanks for 10 players including Gus triandos and Willy Miranda. Bob won the Cy Young in '58 for the Yanks.

I have always thought that Gus Triandos and Jim Gentile are two forgotten O's from way back. Plus, I can hardly explain this but Dan Ford was one of my heroes in the '83 World Series. And remember Larry Sheets big year in '87? Also, Terry Kennedy, Jeff Stone, Aaron Ledesma and Randy Meyers was money in the bank in '97.

Piniella was a product of the Orioles farm system, selected by KC in the expansion draft IIRC.

He did spend some time in our farm system, but we didnt draft him.

Lou was origionally signed in 1962 by the Cleveland Indians as an

amature free agent. Three months later he was drafted by........the Washington Senators (later to become the Texas Rangers @ 71)! They had just come into the league and drafted players from other teams. After drafting Lou, he spends two years in the Senators minors then sent to O's for Buster Narum. That month he makes his major league debut with the O's. He spends the next two years in the O's farm system before being traded once again going back to the Cleveland Indians for Cam Carreon.

I just looked this up recently....this didnt come from memory :D. Fortunately, I remembered where I saw it. :D

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pinielo01.shtml#trans

• 6 years later...

Trying to think of guys who good players elsewhere:

Chris Sabo

Harold Reynolds

Doug Jones

Keith Moreland

Craig Lefferts

Mike Pagliarulo

Doug Drabek

Pete Incaviglia

Rick Burleson

Rick Schu

Ron Kittle

Greg Walker

Ron Jackson

Jerome Walton

Happy birthday, Mike Pagliarulo.

• 3 weeks later...

One guy not mentioned here so far is Earl Williams. He'll always have a special place in Orioles history, similar to Glenn Davis. But beyond that, Williams contends with Wiggins and a few others as the biggest head case in team history. He is prominently featured in the book "It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts" by Earl Weaver in a 4-5 page rant about his late night antics, lethargic practice habits, and Helmuthesque apologies. If you haven't read it, out of print, but a fantastic management text for sports fans.

You could put Doyle Alexander and Sergio Robles in a similar category as players acquired in bad trades.

One guy not mentioned here so far is Earl Williams. He'll always have a special place in Orioles history, similar to Glenn Davis. But beyond that, Williams contends with Wiggins and a few others as the biggest head case in team history. He is prominently featured in the book "It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts" by Earl Weaver in a 4-5 page rant about his late night antics, lethargic practice habits, and Helmuthesque apologies. If you haven't read it, out of print, but a fantastic management text for sports fans.

You could put Doyle Alexander and Sergio Robles in a similar category as players acquired in bad trades.

Out of print, but available used through Amazon suppliers, both paperback and hardback.

http://www.amazon.com/what-learn-after-know-counts/dp/0671472399/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459944398&sr=8-1&keywords=It's+What+You+Learn+After+You+Know+It+All+That+Counts

514ktfgWp8L._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Vern Stephens - Played on the Browns when they won their only pennant in 1944 and also had some terrific years with the Red Sox.

Eddie Waitkus - More remembered for nearly being killed by a crazed fan than anything he did in baseball.

Larry Harlow - Started the year with the Orioles but in June was traded to the Angels for Floyd Rayford. Had the game winning hit against the Orioles in Game 3 of the 1979 ALCS.

Rudy May - Won 18 games for the Orioles in 1977.

Ken Holtzman - Played briefly in 1976 before being traded to the Yankees.

Archived