What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand the intentional walk to Ichiro. Intentionally walking Branyan to load the bases made no sense whatsoever to me. It wasn't a bases loaded walk that beat the Orioles, but the fact that Johnson was one pitch away from doing that against Beltre couldn't have helped.

I'll make my list:

1. Hit and Run with Mora/Huff continuously. Huff can't go first to third, even if it succeeds, because Ichiro in RF scares them too much.

2. Warm up Baez in 7th for no reason.

3. Let Bergesen pitch to the top of order in 7th.

4. Not run Pie for Huff

5. Intentionally walking the entire universe.

6. Not using Sherrill in the two highest leverage situations in the entire game.

#1 and #4 are the only ones that have any bearing whatsoever in regards to this game.

I can understand the intentional walk to Ichiro. Intentionally walking Branyan to load the bases made no sense whatsoever to me. It wasn't a bases loaded walk that beat the Orioles' date=' but the fact that Johnson was one pitch away from doing that against Beltre couldn't have helped.[/quote']

Sac fly wins the game. That is Branyan's main forte, take the low ball high. Hence, you walk him.

The Huff/Mora hit and run, actually, was really stupid. Mora has been terrible. He should have dropped down a bunt.

The fact that Mora is still batting 5th is unconscionable. Did someone just hand DT a whole bunch of lineup cards with MM's name already printed in the 5th spot?

I'd like to thank the Orioles for doing just enough to lose the game tonight. The Orioles are now 2-11 in games decided by 3 runs or fewer and have a -44 run differential (Behind only Washington at -64). We are now 8-17 on the road! We have gotten solid pitching over the last 10 days and are blowing some of those opportunities. We are 6-4 in the last 10 games, but we should have been 8-2.

Walking Ichiro made sense, but I would rather pitch to Branyan than Beltre.

The Huff/Mora sequence was pathetic.

Normally I'm not a fan of sacrifice bunts, but that is where you do it. The offense was doing nothing at all. PR Pie or Andino, and lay down a bunt.

Then you've got a speedy runner on 2B with one out and Scott, Wieters and Reimold due up. Odds are somebody could at least try to cash that run in.

It's just another strike against Trembley as he's trying to show that he can manage a competitive team. I just don't see it...

You know they would have just intentionally walked Scott, don't you?

When you make as many mistakes on the basepaths as were made tonight, it's hard to not be insanely mad.

All I can say is that it's hard to rid yourselves of a losing culture when mistakes like tonight are the rule, not the exception. Another great pitching performance wasted.

I echo your sentiments here. Offensively, the Orioles did everything they could to lose tonight. Eventually DT will be shown the door for this consistency.

You know they would have just intentionally walked Scott, don't you?

So...

Scenario A) Allow Mora to hit and run with Huff on first, one out.

Scenario B) Have Mora bunt, walk Scott, men on 1B and 2B, Wieters up with 2 outs.

I'll take B any day of the week. Considering we know what happens in A. Huff can't steal bases and Mora can't hit the ball.

Archived