Being Gutsy in the Bronx – 5/20

O's are Legends

Everytime the Orioles have guys on the bases, the Benny Hill theme should play.

How embarrasing it is to be a fan of this team sometimes.

This time I'm really done for the night. It's really amazing how bad this team can really be. You would think pure dumb luck would make them look good occasionally.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This about sums up that inning...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUIcmYYtslc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUIcmYYtslc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

For all of Dave's talk about playing the game right, its getting obvious to me that he knows what to say not how to actually do it. Players are above getting benched for sloppy play, so why listen to the manager if there is no action.

Yep, is there ever a 3-1 count with a guy on 1st where DT doesn't call for the hit and run?!

But if it's ball 4, Markakis does not have to swing because the runner advances automatically. I don't get why it's a bad call. If it's a strike, DT has faith in Markakis to put the bat on the ball and make something happen. If not, it's bases loaded knowing Markakis' eye.

I think he was referring to the prior pitch, where Roberts broke for second and Markakis swung at a potential ball four.

Except if it's Ball 4 Nick is still going to take the pitch. I doubt it was a hit and run but even if it was there is absoulutely no incentive to swing at a ball. There is no need to protect the runner in that situation.

Note: I didn't see the pitch I'm following on gametracker so I guess if it was truely a hit and run and the pitch was borderline the player would swing but poster was making it seem it was on obvious ball. If that is true than my above statement applies. That said I don't see hit DT hitting and running on 3-1 there with Nick at the plate. Probably a straight steal by Roberts.

Except if it's Ball 4 Nick is still going to take the pitch. I doubt it was a hit and run but even if it was there is absoulutely no incentive to swing at a ball. There is no need to protect the runner in that situation.

My point above, exactly. It's actually the perfect time to hit and run.

For all of Dave's talk about playing the game right, its getting obvious to me that he knows what to say not how to actually do it. Players are above getting benched for sloppy play, so why listen to the manager if there is no action.

So Markakis and Roberts should be benched because of a hit-and-run that backfired?

I'm stuck with gameday. Was that a bad jump by BRob on a straight steal, or was it a H&R and Markakis didn't swing?

It was a straight steal on the 3-2 count. On the 3-1 it was H&R and the ball was well out of the zone but Markakis fouled it off.

Archived