The Top 54 Draft Picks For 2009

*Reymond Fuentes, CF, 6' 0-160, HS (PR), DOB- 2/12/91 (18)

Fuentes, a Puerto Rican high-schooler, is a bona-fide talent, of which goes far beyond being related to Carlos Beltran. The slender youngster swings an impressive bat from the left side and has blazing speed, profiling as a good defender in CF with a below-average arm. His power in not a strong suit, but he has solid gap power. Could be a very good lead-off hitter.

*Slade Heathcott, OF, 6' 1-190, HS (AR), DOB- 9/28/90 (18)

Makeup questions are all that seems to keep Heathcott down the rankings. This Texas tool-shed has all the physical qualities to be a star. An impressive bat with good power, coupled with solid range and arm have left scouts more in consensus about his position than before. He was considered a solid starter with real upside, but most now agree that his future lies in the OF.

#Mychal Givens, SS, 6' 2-185, HS (FL), DOB- 5/13/90 (19)

Givens is an impressive athlete that scouts have been split on, as some see a 97mph fastball with little secondary offerings equaling power reliever, while a bit more like him as a toolsy SS prospect. Givens obviously has the rocket arm from SS that scouts love, but his defensive development at the position will need improvement, and his at-times impressive bat will likely need to be revamped a bit. Great talent, and a prototypical high risk/reward player.

Marc Krauss, OF/1B, 6' 3-235, Ohio U., DOB- 10/5/87 (21)

Krauss profiles as a LF’er, with a solid arm but merely average range/quickness. A line drive hitter with a good eye, Krauss’ quick left-handed swing evokes a potential .280+ BA with 20+ HR’s and is considered among college’s best bats this year. His power should develop, as I see Aubrey Huff-like potential somewhere inside him.

Todd Glaesman, OF, 6' 4-215, HS (TX), 10/24/90 (18)

Glaesman is another toolsy and athletic outfielder in need of refinement at the plate, but a club willing to see it through could have a real star on their hands. He is big at 6’ 4-215, fast and a quality two-sport athlete with the potential for power down the road, though it’s short currently. He has an average arm but good range and should play CF in the pros.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Web -

Nope....wish I was though.

Marlins Special Analyst

What is this supposed to mean? Also, please refrain from using the "Marlins Special Analyst", as it is too similar to our Team Analyst designation.

Nick Franklin, is that you? :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by ittakeshardwork View Post

Web -

Nope....wish I was though.

Marlins Special Analyst

What is this supposed to mean?

Greg Pappas

Greg,

itakeshardwork was replying to Web 21's post (see above).

Greg/Allstar, how does Gibson's apparent injury affect his ranking?

He's dropping like a rock, could go anywhere from mid-first to early second round. I don't know that it's serious enough of an injury, I feel like Gibson was a weird prospect in the sense that he was just really steady, like the turtle racing the rabbit. I think teams are just going to use it as an excuse to make a sexier pick than taking the safe guy. Someone will gamble and should get good value for him, but a lot of the dropping is due to him not being able to add muscle to his frame which most of his draft stock was tied to. This injury is just a reason for teams to back away when there was a little cloud of doubt hanging over him already.

He's dropping like a rock, could go anywhere from mid-first to early second round. I don't know that it's serious enough of an injury, I feel like Gibson was a weird prospect in the sense that he was just really steady, like the turtle racing the rabbit. I think teams are just going to use it as an excuse to make a sexier pick than taking the safe guy. Someone will gamble and should get good value for him, but a lot of the dropping is due to him not being able to add muscle to his frame which most of his draft stock was tied to. This injury is just a reason for teams to back away when there was a little cloud of doubt hanging over him already.

If he drops to the second rd, could you see the O's taking him? And would he sign for second rd money or would he be asking for first? If we can get him for second rd money, or even late first, I would love to get him.

Greg/Allstar, how does Gibson's apparent injury affect his ranking?

It's difficult to say, but I imagine he falls out of the first round and may get picked up by a team like the D-Backs or Angels in the supplemental or 2nd round, as they each have a multitude of high picks. He may be fine in time and get back to his solid starter status and be a bargain for whomever takes him.

I know this was my take, but I haven't heard this anywhere else at all. I was expressing my concerns based on an interview with him I saw on TV. Is there another source saying this is an issue?

Just curious -- it would be nice to know I nailed that...

I know this was my take, but I haven't heard this anywhere else at all. I was expressing my concerns based on an interview with him I saw on TV. Is there another source saying this is an issue?

Just curious -- it would be nice to know I nailed that...

Just my opinion, using the psych degree to get a read on why no one has been talking about him. Wish I could say it's been in print somewhere, but where the talk around mid-season was Gibson-Gibson-Gibson it died off dramatically about a month ago, before the injury concerns and I think it's because everyone had issues with that but they can't come outright and say it, so they are using the injury as their "out". I talked to someone recently who said it looked like he had lost a few pounds since the season started, not the other direction.

*Tyler Matzek, LHSP, 6' 3-195, HS (CA), DOB-10/19/90 (18)

Matzek is perhaps the most polished high school pitcher in the draft, and illicits comparisons to our own Brian Matusz. Matzek has a good pitchers frame and may add a tick more velocity to his low 90's fastball. He has the ceiling of a four-pitch front of the rotation starter, with good command and poise. While Jacob Turner, Shelby Miller and others throw harder and may have a bit more upside, none are clearly better prospects than Matzek.

Thanks Greg.

Tylers fastball.....isn't it inconsistent?

Thanks Greg.

Tylers fastball.....isn't it inconsistent?

It's not usually, the only thing inconsistent is the reporting on it. He's got amazing control, and it used to sit in the 90-94 range, but now there are reports of him getting to 97-98 which would lead one to think that he's sitting 93-95 in order to hit that.

Archived