I did a Tate search, but many threads have him included so I didn't get what I want :D

People seem to think pretty highly of him, what is the reason for his drop? Signability issues? Commitments?

I have been saying all along that Tate is the wildcard in this draft. I can easily see him go #4 to the Pirates. This kid has all of the tools to be a very good player in a few years. I know that one issue with him is that he also plays football so signability (not sure if that is a word :D) may factor in.

I did a Tate search, but many threads have him included so I didn't get what I want :D

People seem to think pretty highly of him, what is the reason for his drop? Signability issues? Commitments?

Signability issues is correct. I believe his family is still declining to speak with the media, so info is only available in as much as scouts/team reps are willing to share (read: not much info available).

I have been saying all along that Tate is the wildcard in this draft. I can easily see him go #4 to the Pirates. This kid has all of the tools to be a very good player in a few years. I know that one issue with him is that he also plays football so signability (not sure if that is a word :D) may factor in.

Well, dictionary.com doesn't like it. I'll contend that if you understand me, it's a word. :laughlol:

Commited to UNC for football, with Boras as his represenation. You add those two up, along with the previously mentioned information stream being limited -- and you have yourself the riskiest pick in terms of signability in this years draft. If you get him signed, you are talking about a player with top 3 talent in the draft... but getting him signed is the issue. You know Boras will drive a hard bargain regardless of the situation, but the college commitment further blurs the picture. It's a risk I don't see the Orioles taking in the first round -- although Tate is the exact player Joe Jordan would love (see Avery, Hoes)... if he falls to round 2, I'd draft him in a new york minute. Although if he makes it to the bottom of the first round I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yankees draft him and give him whatever he wants to sign.

in the top 10, YOU SIGN. Why not collect a cool couple of million in cash? Why risk getting a career threatening injury and getting NOTHING? It's not like you're going to get drafted any higher after a few years of college ball. Your draft position is only going to go DOWN!

in the top 10, YOU SIGN. Why not collect a cool couple of million in cash? Why risk getting a career threatening injury and getting NOTHING? It's not like you're going to get drafted any higher after a few years of college ball. Your draft position is only going to go DOWN!

Good point in theory, but with Boras as his advisor -- I'd bet the farm on him taking out a nice insurance policy insuring him 7 figures if in fact he were to go down with a career threatening injury. Obviously not the $ he'd get if he were a top pick... but that has to be factored in.

A strategy that didn't work out last year, though Gerrit Cole isn't Tate.

Very true, although it wasn't about $ with Cole if I remember correctly. I think Gerrit said he'd sign, and then had a change of heart and instead wanted to attend UCLA... If one truely wants to attend college, then props to him. All the better that he said no to the Yankees!

A strategy that didn't work out last year, though Gerrit Cole isn't Tate.

Hardly the Yankees' fault. Cole did a 180 after being drafted.

I could see the Yankees ending up with Purke or Turner, who seem to be potential tough signs.

Here is my question to you draft experts. If you were certain Tate would sign with us where would you rank him on our draft board?? #3 behind Strasburg and Ackley???

Probably 3 behind Strasburg and Matzek, right now.

Any chance he somehow falls to 2nd round because of signability concerns? He'd have to be worth a flier and then throw a huge pile of cash his way to sway him.

I can't say for sure, as his family has decided not to release statements (from what I've heard), so we are kind of at the mercy of what organizations are leaking. My gut says he's looking for $6mios plus to skip UNC -- maybe more -- so he could definitely be around past the first round. I'd sign him for 1st Round money, but $6 is pushing it. If he isn't selected in the 1st Round I'd be surprised if he signed.

Archived