7th round selection: Aaron Wirsh, LHP, El Toro HS

Jordan will say they are all good picks; what else do you expect him to say?

What he'll say is why he picked them and what he saw. He won't cry and make immature and unkowledgeable posts about guys he never heard of before the name was posted on this board.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess, we all need (me especially) a reality check. Thanks, Tony.

It's just unsettling when Jordan picks guys that have much less publicity and have less written about them in the publications... He obviously knows what he's doing..

From CSTV.com

Wirsch, a 6-6 left-handed pitcher, joins the Toreros after a stand-out career at El Toro High School. As a senior, he has been selected to play for USA Baseball's Tournament of Stars in Cary, N.C. He was also selected to play in the Area Code Games for the Oakland A's and was selected by the Baseball Scouts of Southern California to pitch in the 2008 Jesse Flores Memorial All-Star Game in October of 2008. As a junior he helped lead his team to the CIF championship and as a sophomore he was named first-team All-League.

"Aaron has that ideal pitcher body with a very loose arm action and his command of three excellent pitches," said hill. "Aaron has a chance to be the next great left-handed pitcher in a long line of Torero star lefty's."

Also a mention by Mayo at a UYA showcase in Feb - May wrote up 10 top HSers with Wirsh being the 11th name mentioned - Hobgood had a nice writeup including: "Possibly the best performer at the showcase, his lively fastball reached 93 mph and he showed a plus curve to boot. He threw a third pitch, which some saw as a slider while others thought had split-finger action. Whatever it was, he was extremely sharp and had above-average stuff across the board."

• 1 month later...

EXCELLENT! He may end up going to GCL even since that he is a HS arm though Bluefieldf is a def possibility as well. So now I am just hoping we sign Henry, Tolliver, Harris and a few others and Ill be content. It would be nice to sign Givens as well...

EXCELLENT! He may end up going to GCL even since that he is a HS arm though Bluefieldf is a def possibility as well. So now I am just hoping we sign Henry, Tolliver, Harris and a few others and Ill be content. It would be nice to sign Givens as well...

Agreed. When you draft two lefty HSers in the top ten, signing them should be a priority in terms of the whole draft.

Yay! :thumbsup1: The news I've been waiting to hear - Hope he goes to Bluefield.

No way I see him in Bluefield to start this year. Hobgood is reportedly starting a level higher than most HS starting pitchers and he's heading to Bluefield. Wirsh isn't regarded as highly as Hobgood so I'd expect him to throw 25-30 innings in the GCL and go to Bluefield next year like Beal and Bundy, maybe end up in Aberdeen if he throws well enough.

The team has been much more deliberate with pitchers than position players, so I wouldn't expect to see an Avery/Hoes type jump to Delmarva.

No way I see him in Bluefield to start this year. Hobgood is reportedly starting a level higher than most HS starting pitchers and he's heading to Bluefield. Wirsh isn't regarded as highly as Hobgood so I'd expect him to throw 25-30 innings in the GCL and go to Bluefield next year like Beal and Bundy, maybe end up in Aberdeen if he throws well enough.

The team has been much more deliberate with pitchers than position players, so I wouldn't expect to see an Avery/Hoes type jump to Delmarva.

I think it all depends on how he throws. The main objective for development sake is if they can handle it, get them to full season ball to get a full seasons worth of experience rather than half. If he can handle it then put him there. I love these HS picks because theyre kinda hit or miss. This kid could have turned down our offer, went to college and become a legit 1st rounder in his 3 years in college. Or he could also fall appart and end up a 30th rounder. Regardless, its taking a chance and I like it a lot.

I think it all depends on how he throws. The main objective for development sake is if they can handle it, get them to full season ball to get a full seasons worth of experience rather than half. If he can handle it then put him there. I love these HS picks because theyre kinda hit or miss. This kid could have turned down our offer, went to college and become a legit 1st rounder in his 3 years in college. Or he could also fall appart and end up a 30th rounder. Regardless, its taking a chance and I like it a lot.

Wirsch had signed to go to San Diego, alma mater of none other than Brian Matusz. Big, left handed kid, southern California... I like that combination. I wish we had a better scouting report on him from somewhere but I can't find anything beyond stats and some video.

He profiles as a "grab him before he breaks out" kind of pick. Projectable, but not spectacular, yet. Room to add velocity and has the makings of three quality pitches down the line. I don't see him as a quick mover, but he's the type of arm you put in the system and say "I remember this kid" when he starts posting impressive A-ball numbers in three years. I'm curious how high his stock raised during April/May, as he was generally seen as a later-round pick pre-season. I know his velocity ticked-up from mid-80s to upper-80s (touching low-90s). Something you'd expect as he grows into his frame and gains more body control.

Archived