National Champion Predictions

Maverick2143

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, I can see USC losing to Nebraska or at Cal.

Moreso at Nebraska.

The thing is, if they do lose to Nebraska, it hurts them greatly but it is also an early season loss....They could win out and still end up in the national title game.

I think USC is just going to be flat out to fast for Nebraska on both sides of the ball but you never know...Great tradition...Road game, early in the season...Maybe USC isn't clicking on all cylinders yet.

The thing is, if they do lose to Nebraska, it hurts them greatly but it is also an early season loss....They could win out and still end up in the national title game.

I think USC is just going to be flat out to fast for Nebraska on both sides of the ball but you never know...Great tradition...Road game, early in the season...Maybe USC isn't clicking on all cylinders yet.

I think they are much more likely to lose a conference game later in the year. They've had some close calls in previous years. I see them blowing at least one game with a late INT or some other screw up by Booty.

USC definitely has the most talent. Their schedule isn't a cakewalk with games at Nebraska and Cal, but they should manage. Their opponent is a tougher choice.

I like LSU, especially on defense, but their schedule is brutal........Vatech, Florida, Auburn, Arkansas. The good news is that all of the aformentioned games are at home. With a strong schedule like that even a loss might not end their hopes. Then there is the SEC Championship Game.........although with the disgrace that is the BCS I suppose it's possible LSU could play for the NC without even having to play for the SEC title.:rolleyes: Regardless, I think LSU loses two...........an upset on the road (Kentucky?) and in the SEC title game to Florida.

Whoever wins the Lousville/WV game could be undefeated at the end, but I'm not sure that would be enough to get them in the big game. Aside from Rutgers and maybe S Fla, I don't think those who vote will put much stock in the Big east competition..........and neither team makes up for it with their non-conference schedule.

Outside of maybe VT, no one in the ACC looks to be an NC contender, and I think the Hokies will get knocked out when they go to Baton Rouge. Texas could make some noise out of the Big 12, but I think they get beat by A&M and that will end any NC game hopes for them.

I'm going to go with a dark-horse as my 2nd team for the title game...........Wisconsin. And I say they're a dark-horse because even though they're #7 in both polls no one seems to mention them as a title contender. They will have to survive trips to Penn St and Ohio St and beat Michigan at home, but something just tells me it's their year.

USC vs. Wisconsin. USC wins.

Whoever wins the Lousville/WV game could be undefeated at the end' date=' but I'm not sure that would be enough to get them in the big game. Aside from Rutgers and maybe S Fla, I don't think those who vote will put much stock in the Big east competition..........and neither team makes up for it with their non-conference schedule.

[/quote']

Good post, although I do have one quibble. The voters are showing the Big East teams some love in the preseason polls with three teams in the preseason top 16. If the 3 teams all take care of business until the end of october they'll all be top ten teams when they start playing each other.

Bold prediction to mark down... The BEast will have [2] BCS teams this season.

Bold prediction to mark down... The BEast will have [2] BCS teams this season.

That will almost certainly depend on what the non-automatic conference teams do. If one of them earns a BCS bid (Hawaii and TCU seem to have a shot), then I don't see a 1-loss Big East team getting an at-large bid when you have the runners-up from the SEC and Big-10 to contend with. But if a non-affiliated conference team doesn't make it, then I could see it happening. One thing that will help all of the conferences is that Notre Dame likely won't be eligible to get slaughtered again in a BCS bowl, thankfully.

That will almost certainly depend on what the non-automatic conference teams do. If one of them earns a BCS bid (Hawaii and TCU seem to have a shot)' date=' then I don't see a 1-loss Big East team getting an at-large bid when you have the runners-up from the SEC and Big-10 to contend with. But if a non-affiliated conference team doesn't make it, then I could see it happening. One thing that will help all of the conferences is that Notre Dame likely won't be eligible to get slaughtered again in a BCS bowl, thankfully.[/quote']

Well it would have happened last year if WVU hadn't lost to South Florida.

Well it would have happened last year if WVU hadn't lost to South Florida.

I doubt it. At-large bids went to Boise St, LSU, ND and Michigan last year. Boise St would have still gone because the new rules dictated that based on where they finished in the BCS standings they were guaranteed a spot. Michigan would still have gone because the Rose Bowl wanted to keep its traditional Big-10/Pac-10 matchup.........and since many believed, at least up until the BCS bowl games were played, that Michigan was the second best team in the country there was no way they would have been left out. Under your scenario, that would leave LSU, ND and WVU as selections for the Sugar Bowl. With LSU practically being the home team and making the game a guaranteed sellout, plus ND's drawing power on TV ratings, I'd be 99.9% certain WVU would have been on the outside of the BCS looking in even if they hadn't lost to SFU last season.

I doubt it. At-large bids went to Boise St' date=' LSU, ND and Michigan last year. Boise St would have still gone because the new rules dictated that based on where they finished in the BCS standings they were guaranteed a spot. Michigan would still have gone because the Rose Bowl wanted to keep its traditional Big-10/Pac-10 matchup.........and since many believed, at least up until the BCS bowl games were played, that Michigan was the second best team in the country there was no way they would have been left out. Under your scenario, that would leave LSU, ND and WVU as selections for the Sugar Bowl. With LSU practically being the home team and making the game a guaranteed sellout, plus ND's drawing power on TV ratings, I'd be 99.9% certain WVU would have been on the outside of the BCS looking in even if they hadn't lost to SFU last season.[/quote']

Dude, WVU would have won the Big East if they hadn't lost to South Florida. That means automatic bid for them. The BCS Standings as of 11/19/06 had WVU #7 and Louisville #9. Louisville never lost again from that point on. If WVU had beaten USF, they would have won out too and would have been the Big East champion because they beat Rutgers, getting the automatic bid and Louisville would have been ranked high enough in the BCS to get an at-large bid.

Dude, WVU would have won the Big East if they hadn't lost to South Florida. That means automatic bid for them. The BCS Standings as of 11/19/06 had WVU #7 and Louisville #9. Louisville never lost again from that point on. If WVU had beaten USF, they would have won out too and would have been the Big East champion because they beat Louisville, getting the automatic bid and Louisville would have been ranked high enough in the BCS to get an at-large bid.

Wrong and wrong again. WVU lost to Louisville last season. And even if WVU beat SF, both teams would have been 6-1 in conference and Louisville would have won the tiebreaker.

Oklahoma is back with a strong team, and will have a chance…. Have to beat Miami at home… win at Texas, and win the Big12 title game… but I don't like them winning at Texas...

Actually, even though the game takes place in the state of Texas, UT/OU is traditionally a neutral game played at the Cotton Bowl and tickets are divided evenly between the schools. That said, I also think Texas will beat OU, but will lose at A&M, and that late-season loss will knock them down just a bit too far in the polls to recover.

Wrong and wrong again. WVU lost to Louisville last season. And even if WVU beat SF' date=' both teams would have been 6-1 in conference and Louisville would have won the tiebreaker.

Sorry, what I meant(and have since changed to)was that WVU beat Rutgers. And since Rutgers beat Louisville...WVU would have won the BIG EAST Title and gotten the auto bid.

Sorry, what I meant(and have since changed to)was that WVU beat Rutgers. And since Rutgers beat Louisville...WVU would have won the BIG EAST Title and gotten the auto bid.

I still think you're wrong.

2006 Big East Final Standings

Louisville 6-1 (12-1)

West Virginia 5-2 (11-2)

Rutgers 5-2 (11-2)

South Florida 4-3 (9-4)

Cincinnati 4-3 (8-5)

Pittsburgh 2-5 (6-6)

Connecticut 1-6 (4-8)

Syracuse 1-6 (4-8)

2006 Big East Final Standings if WVU beats USF

Louisville 6-1 (12-1)

West Virginia 6-1 (12-1)

Rutgers 5-2 (11-2)

Cincinnati 4-3 (8-5)

South Florida 3-4 (8-5)

Pittsburgh 2-5 (6-6)

Connecticut 1-6 (4-8)

Syracuse 1-6 (4-8)

According to this, Louisville still wins the title under that scenario because they won the head-to-head with WV. But this is splitting hairs. I see what your main point is and I still have to disagree........even if the Big East had two 1-loss teams last year, I still think that they would not have received an at-large BCS bid over the other teams that got in, namely LSU and ND even though they each had 2 losses.

Archived