Sickels on Orioles 2009 draft: solid draft!

Was in the Sun this morning:

• On his blog, Minor League Ball, John Sickels offers quick thoughts about the Orioles' draft class:

Baltimore: I don't have a problem with Hobgood at fifth overall. He's signable, and in my opinion the difference between him and the other elite prep arms isn't all that great. He might not be as projectable as some of them, being more physically mature, but I really like his arm and I don't think this is a huge overdraft. Mychal Givens in the second round adds another high-ceiling arm to the system, and if pitching doesn't work out you can try him as a hitter. Townsend out of Florida International in the third round is a solid college bat in the Jay Gibbons mode; not a star but a guy who should be able to contribute. Randy Henry in the fourth round and Ashur Tolliver in the fifth provide more live arms, Tolliver in particular being a good value in that round. 8th round pick OF Devin Harris (East Carolina), 9th round pick RHP Ryan Berry (Rice), and 10th round pick RHP Jacob Cowan (San Jacinto JC) all offer very good value for their draft slots. Harris has tons of tools, and both Berry and Cowan were considered possible second or third round picks if not for injury questions. This may not be a spectacular draft class, but I think it is solid.

I agree, it provides us with excellent value in the latter rounds.....

Though he botched the Givens position switch. No big deal, though.

I concur on Hobgood - I just don't think (from what I've read) that the difference between him and the other prep arms is that great.

Though he botched the Givens position switch. No big deal, though.

I concur on Hobgood - I just don't think (from what I've read) that the difference between him and the other prep arms is that great.

It is not much of a difference at all....I mean based on pure stuff, I dont see a difference between Hobgood and Wheeler. The intangibles are one of Hobgood's strengths and based off of reports he has the strongest intangibles of all prep pitchers. I am more excited to see these other HS arms we took later on and see how they do, this draft may have really just set us up for that next wave of prospects in out system, I never realized how many top 200 draft prospects that we took all together.....

Wait, so you mean some people who never heard of these guys we drafted before a few days ago and got all uppity can change their minds now because Sickels said so?

Well I dunno, maybe now that Sickels is saying it rather than another poster it will sink in to some folk's head.....

Wait, so you mean some people who never heard of these guys we drafted before a few days ago and got all uppity can change their minds now because Sickels said so?

To be fair, outside of the Big 12 Sickels says he hasn't seen many of the kids -- so he's going off of the same sources as BA. By BA rankings, the draft looks "solid", as well. If you like PG rankings, it's probably less stunning. Neither really matter, as I imagine Jordan & Co. would have taken the same guys regardless.

So it's back to the original dilemma -- can you rate a draft based on what sources like Baseball America, SIckels, Law, etc. say? I think you can give an informed opinion and grade with some homework, but as has been said before, you need to roll up your sleeves and pour over these kids and the other kids available in order to give a true appraisal of whether each pick was (in your opinion) the best one to make.

That is exactly what I thought when I read this comment by Sickels.

In the end a draft will only be determined by the results 3-5 years later.

Archived