Ryan Berry Interview

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That picture at the top shows signs of a possible timing problem. With a torn rotator cuff already, that makes me a little less optimistic about his future. Hopefully his timing will look better with a more extended look.

I saw him thrice this year -- his arm definitely plays catch-up (one of a few mechanical issues). Definitely health concerns, especially when paired with workload history.

This kid will be a good test on the O's willingness to invest in the draft this year. He appears willing to sign but he obviously feels slighted by dropping to the fifth round. It seems like he would be willing to sign for round 2 money or so.

With his history, I think this would be an example of poor investing. Sure, he is a high risk, somewhat high payoff . . . but I think in the draft the type of guys you want to look for are ones who had non-arm injuries or are asking for way more than they currently deserve. A 3rd round talent taken in the tenth due to arm and workload issues does not seem like a great risk investment.

Then again, I have not seen his medicals.

His shoulder had a slightly torn muscle, no damage to ligaments or the actual rotator cuff, so I don't think the injury will be much of a problem if a problem at all in the future. Also I think this kid has the potential to put on a good 20 -25 pounds of muscle, who knows if it will help his fastball or not, but maybe with the professional pitching coaches and a good weight training program he can add a few. I also have heard that the coaches at Rice havent tried to change his mechanics because he was so effective coming out of highschool. Maybe they see something thay can change, maybe not, but watching this kid pitch, if they don't sign him, they may be regretting it by this time next year.

http://www.examiner.com/x-9179-Rice-Owls-Examiner~y2009m6d22-The-Baltimore-Orioles-SelectRyan-BerryPitcherRice-University

Has some interesting quotes from Berry...he says in the article that he's ready to get his future started.

However, he also noted that there is a pretty big chance he could return to Rice.

Man, I hope we get this guy signed...

Thanks for the article. Sounds like he wants to sign and it shouldn't take more than 2nd round money to make it happen. If healthy (big if) this kid could be the steal of the draft.

My guess is that they think there are minor tweaks in his delivery that can be made. I think we've been doing a good job of avoiding mechanical problems for a while now. The only guy w/ any real issues in our farm system is Erbe, no?

My guess is that they think there are minor tweaks in his delivery that can be made. I think we've been doing a good job of avoiding mechanical problems for a while now. The only guy w/ any real issues in our farm system is Erbe, no?

Maybe he could break his hands a little higher to help get the ball up. I don't know. I think it's easier to shape the mechanics of a high schooler than someone like Berry who's already really comfortable in his skin and utilizes some of that deception in helping his stuff play up. The mechanics alone wouldn't make me nervous, but combined with the workload I think it's possible the damage has already been done.

Maybe he could break his hands a little higher to help get the ball up. I don't know. I think it's easier to shape the mechanics of a high schooler than someone like Berry who's already really comfortable in his skin and utilizes some of that deception in helping his stuff play up. The mechanics alone wouldn't make me nervous, but combined with the workload I think it's possible the damage has already been done.

I was thinking the same thing about his hands, but assuming they do make some adjustments to his delivery (like 99% of all signees) they'll certainly be cautious with him until spring 2010. I'm sure they'll be working to strengthen the arm and shoulder much like Erbe currently. I don't know about second round money, and maybe it will depend on who else they sign for above slot. I'm curious what the pecking order is for Joe in signing the above slot guys.

I was thinking the same thing about his hands, but assuming they do make some adjustments to his delivery (like 99% of all signees) they'll certainly be cautious with him until spring 2010. I'm sure they'll be working to strengthen the arm and shoulder much like Erbe currently. I don't know about second round money, and maybe it will depend on who else they sign for above slot. I'm curious what the pecking order is for Joe in signing the above slot guys.

I'm not sure what you mean? Do you think he's not worth 2nd round money? Do you think it's going to cost more than that? Just wondering.

I wrote I thought it would cost 2nd round money because before his injury he was considered 1st round material and in the referenced article he thought he would be drafted on Day 1. (rounds 1-3)

His shoulder had a slightly torn muscle, no damage to ligaments or the actual rotator cuff, so I don't think the injury will be much of a problem if a problem at all in the future. Also I think this kid has the potential to put on a good 20 -25 pounds of muscle, who knows if it will help his fastball or not, but maybe with the professional pitching coaches and a good weight training program he can add a few. I also have heard that the coaches at Rice havent tried to change his mechanics because he was so effective coming out of highschool. Maybe they see something thay can change, maybe not, but watching this kid pitch, if they don't sign him, they may be regretting it by this time next year.

What concerns me is that I question whether college or high school coaches care more about the health of the player vs. winning. When you suffer a minor injury in the shoulder or elbow and are essentially forced to itch through it . . . it is more likely that other parts of the arm and shoulder are being stressed.

Archived