Anyone else cheering for the O's to lose?

JoeOrsulak

Stop right there. I see no one treating this as a visionary idea except the guy who posted it. If you want credibility start by dealing in facts.

Not saying this is a visionary idea. It is a idea that pops up seems like ever August/September when we are completely out of it (last 9 or so years).

Facts are that there 8 teams separated by 2 games in the win column. Finishing .400 vs .300 could mean a huge difference in draft position next year. If there weren't so many "bad" teams bunched up, it wouldn't be a big issue.

On top of the fact that there are suppose to be 2 stud college positional players available which we are in dire need of.

Am I a "bad" fan for thinking about losing a couple unless games(will explain useless games below) this year if it means us willing in the future?

Say "useless games" as ones were we throw Steve Trachel, Bako, Redman, etc.. out there when they aren't in our future plans. Rather have people like Reimold, Liz, or maybe House out there to see if they are in our plans.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I a "bad" fan for thinking about losing a couple unless games(will explain useless games below) this year if it means us willing in the future?

Tell you what. Get Mr Angelos to open the gates for free and refund all previously purchased tickets and MAYBE, just maybe- I'll consider this course of action.

Have you ever played a sport? Do you know what it feels like to lose? Not good I assure you, but not even trying probably feels a million times worse.

Whatever, you want to believe the June draft will cure this franchise's ills, go right ahead. Some of us have already lived through that fallacy before. You must be that guy in front of me at the drug store with a lengthy list of lottery numbers too.

Let's say we lose out from now on and end up with that pick of Alvarez, whoever the Hell he is.

Even then, with next year's version of the "once in a generation" player (which is only in terms of potential, always remember), he has MAYBE a 50% shot of becoming a quality major-league player.

And that is just becoming what Ben McDonald and Jeffery Hammonds ended-up being, to keep that example going.

This is not the NFL, where we should tank for that franchise quarterback, or the NBA for the franchise center.

When you can have stars come out of any round (and realize that even if we keep trying, our pick is going to be in the top ten in all likelihood anyway), it isn't worth the bad will tanking gives to the fans that still want to watch the team.

So, to sum up, yes you are a bad fan for wanting this.

Let's say we lose out from now on and end up with that pick of Alvarez, whoever the Hell he is.

Even then, with next year's version of the "once in a generation" player (which is only in terms of potential, always remember), he has MAYBE a 50% shot of becoming a quality major-league player.

And that is just becoming what Ben McDonald and Jeffery Hammonds ended-up being, to keep that example going.

This is not the NFL, where we should tank for that franchise quarterback, or the NBA for the franchise center.

When you can have stars come out of any round (and realize that even if we keep trying, our pick is going to be in the top ten in all likelihood anyway), it isn't worth the bad will tanking gives to the fans that still want to watch the team.

So, to sum up, yes you are a bad fan for wanting this.

Yes, everyone should be as good a fan as you! :rolleyes:

Who in the hell are you to determine if someone is a good fan or not?

Do you think it was a good thing that we swept the Yankees years ago in September and by doing that , it cost us Tex?

Was that good for the Orioles?

Do you think it was a good thing that we swept the Yankees years ago in September and be doing that , it cost us Tex?

I had a pretty good time at one of those games watching the O's win.

In retrospect that now seems a little like the rush a crackhead gets.

Do you think it was a good thing that we swept the Yankees years ago in September and by doing that , it cost us Tex?

I personally love the fact we got Chris Smith instead of Teix. ;)

Really.

Please look into the future and tell us all which future superstar the Orioles will lose out on by winning a couple extra games this year.

Then you can continue to self-righteously post about how only what you say matters and I'll actually give a damn.

I'd like to see these people that want the O's to lose tell this to the Ripkens, Murray, Palmer, Brooks, the great O's of the past. For that matter tell this to Millar, and Roberts. That you want them to play bad so we can get a better draft pick. Its beyond crazy that you want them team you love to lose games. Its sad that its came to this for some of you 'fans'.

Nobody here would have the you-know-whats to tell Roberts or Millar that, because those two (and every other player and coach) would rightfully beat them until their body looked like it had a Ravens' jersey tattooed onto it.

Really.

Please look into the future and tell us all which future superstar the Orioles will lose out on by winning a couple extra games this year.

Then you can continue to self-righteously post about how only what you say matters and I'll actually give a damn.

Way to dodge the question...Pretty typical of you though.

I asked earlier and never got an answer. Why would getting swept by the Yankees as opposed to sweeping them have given the Orioles the choice prior to the Rangers?

They both would have ended the season with the same number of wins. They split their 12-game series that season. What was/is the next tie breaker?

Good question..Not sure...All i know is it has always been said that that sweep cost us the chance for Tex.

Archived