Wow, I see us getting the #2 pick in all honesty. This would be awesome for our system....If we take a pitcher, we would have a few good ones to choose from IMO. Pomeranz looks really nice and apparently Kevin Jacob has been getting some buzz about him from a hot summer league in which his velocity apparently increased, he has to stick as a starter though to take him that high IMO.

For the 2010 draft, if we take a pitcher right now I want Pomeranz, if we take a position player, Id either want Bryce Brentz or Christian Colon.

And this is all assuming that Bryce Harper goes 1st and we arent the 1st pick.

Originally it was said that the 2010 draft was gonna be as weak with top end talent as the 09 draft outside for the #1 pick, but I beg to differ... The 2010 draft will leave us with some very interesting names to choose from. If we are pick #2, itll be so tough to choose who we will want. There will be what looks like 3 1st tier college pitching talents. Renaudo and Pomeranz both seem to have a degree of safety with them along with a very nice ceiling. This IMO was what the 09 draft lacked around our pick, a safe high ceiling college arm like Matusz. The 09 draft had safety with Minor, Leake and Gibson, but they lacked a true high ceiling. Then you had the high ceiling college arms who were very risky(not safe) like James Paxton, Andy Oliver and Alex Wilson. IMO both Pomeranz and Renaudo are a solid mixture of both aspects. Osrich who is the 3rd college pitcher that I was mentioning as a 1st tier kind of guy seems to have a few more questions than the other 2 and could end up as a reliever, though his ceiling may also be the highest of the 3.

Then position players from college were real scarce at the top of the 09 draft. The 2010 draft isnt overly loaded with top end positional talent, but I see names that I like a bit more than in 09. Brentz brings something that the 2009 draft lacked at the top which is a combo of power and average from a position player. He has amazing pop and has been a very quick riser from every indication I have seen. Also has a good arm and came into college as a pitcher.

Christian Colon is another position player to keep an eye on as a possible pick for us. He has a very good bat with some pop and is slated as a possible top 10 and could imrpove upon that if he has a good college season coming up. He did well in summer ball according to projectprospect.com.

And to give reference on these kids, I get my info here from a few different sources including:

Projectprospect

MLBbonusBaby

BA

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I see us getting the #2 pick in all honesty. This would be awesome for our system....If we take a pitcher, we would have a few good ones to choose from IMO. Pomeranz looks really nice and apparently Kevin Jacob has been getting some buzz about him from a hot summer league in which his velocity apparently increased, he has to stick as a starter though to take him that high IMO.

For the 2010 draft, if we take a pitcher right now I want Pomeranz, if we take a position player, Id either want Bryce Brentz or Christian Colon.

I doubt Jacob will start next year at Tech. He'll probably close because that's what he's doing in the summer and he's been doing real well. His velocity sits at like 98-99 when in relief which is silly.

Here's BA's write-up on Team USA's top players on Pomeranz, who came in at #7 (out of 20):

7. Drew Pomeranz, lhp (Jr., Mississippi)

Pomeranz established a reputation as a big-game pitcher in 2009, pitching brilliantly—repeatedly on short rest—for Ole Miss in the NCAA tournament, then shutting down Germany in USA's final game of the summer. He finished the summer 4-1, 1.75 with 48 strikeouts and nine walks in 26 innings. Scouts aren't crazy about Pomeranz's arm action, which has some stiffness and gets long in the back, leading to spotty command, particularly with his curveball. He needs to do a better job controlling counts and being more efficient with his pitches. Pomeranz pitched his best down the stretch for Team USA, attacking hitters with a 90-95 mph fastball that he locates well to his arm side. His 77-78 knuckle curve remains inconsistent but can be a wipeout pitch when it's on. He toys with a changeup but seldom uses it. At 6-foot-5, 231 pounds, Pomeranz has a pro build and power stuff from the left side, but he's not a great athlete and fields his position poorly. Questions also linger about his work ethic.

Don't like the comment on the arm action (injury risk). That pesky work ethic thing will probably make the Orioles pass since they seem to regard character highly. I also don't like the fact that doesn't field his position and questions on his athleticism. Coupled with work ethic - not good. He doesn't seem to be the safe pick ala Matusz according to this.

As for Brentz, he has high upside and is also a good prospect on the mound, though he will go as a bat. Here's a snippet from the write-up that causes concern:

6. Bryce Brentz, of (Jr., Middle Tennessee State)

he tends to wail away with an out-of-control swing. He's a dead-pull, fastball hitter who showed little inclination to make adjustments against offspeed stuff or use other parts of the field, and his work ethic is a concern.

That work ethic issue again - don't think the Orioles will pick this guy either unless he fixes that.

Now, Colon, where scouts like his leadership, his production and baseball savvy, but, his tools are not eye-opening or even above average, though his bat might become plus (another snippet):

2. Christian Colon, ss (Jr., Cal State Fullerton)

Thanks to his keen baseball savvy, Colon plays above his relatively modest tools. ....., while he has a chance to play short at the next level, the general consensus is that his fringy range and arm strength will force him to move to second. His bat and makeup make Colon a very strong bet to reach the big leagues.

He looks like a player the Orioles would pick. Too bad he doesn't project to stay at SS, though, with his make-up, may be he could prove them wrong. Still, he could be a good replacement for Roberts, since by 2013, he will be only 24.

Link to BA's full write-up on all 20 players.

Archived