Dallas (6th) - $150K

Wirsch (7th) - $200K

Berry (9th) - $418K

Coffey (22nd) - $990K

Ohlman (30th) - ???

Martin - $250K

Webb - $250K

Total: $5.66M

Plus that is without Cowan, Bumbry, Kelly, Baker, Palsha, Schutz, Brandhorts, Landry, Mooney, Anderson, Johnson, Mechaw, Planeta, Flacco, Dowdy, and Rivera. We also don't know Ohlman's bonus yet. All of this combined probably pushed the number close to $8M, as of right now.

I have to spread the rep around.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So far...

Hobgood (1st) - $2.42M

Townsend (3rd) - $417.6K

Henry (4th) - $365K

Tolliver (5th) - $200K

Dallas (6th) - $150K

Wirsch (7th) - $200K

Berry (9th) - $418K

Coffey (22nd) - $990K

Ohlman (30th) - ???

Martin - $250K

Webb - $250K

Plus that is without Cowan, Bumbry, Kelly, Baker, Palsha, Schutz, Brandhorts, Landry, Mooney, Anderson, Johnson, Mechaw, Planeta, Flacco, Dowdy, and Rivera. We also don't know Ohlman's bonus yet. All of this combined probably pushed the number close to $8M, as of right now.

Wasn't Ohlman an 11th rounder??

So far...

Hobgood (1st) - $2.42M

Townsend (3rd) - $417.6K

Henry (4th) - $365K

Tolliver (5th) - $200K

Dallas (6th) - $150K

Wirsch (7th) - $200K

Berry (9th) - $418K

Ohlman (11th) - ???

Coffey (22nd) - $990K

Martin - $250K

Webb - $250K

Aside from Ohlman's $$, I know that Cowan is another significant overslot bonus as well who will add a good amount to that number. Even though we arent dipping into the international scene as much as many ehre wanted to, you have to be happy with these overslot kids we took. Who cares where they are from, if they are good, then they are good, and hopefully they are worthy of that $$

I wonder if a kid in the draft who gets $990,000 is looked at similarly in value to a international free agent who signs for $990,000. I know there is a sort of a theory behind it, but can someone explain it?

From my understanding, its not the same value and an international FA with the same exact skill would get more $$ since he is being fought over between more than 1 team, so therefore he has the leverage.

Aside from Ohlman's $$, I know that Cowan is another significant overslot bonus as well who will add a good amount to that number. Even though we arent dipping into the international scene as much as many ehre wanted to, you have to be happy with these overslot kids we took. Who cares where they are from, if they are good, then they are good, and hopefully they are worthy of that $$

I wonder if a kid in the draft who gets $990,000 is looked at similarly in value to a international free agent who signs for $990,000. I know there is a sort of a theory behind it, but can someone explain it?

From my understanding, its not the same value and an international FA with the same exact skill would get more $$ since he is being fought over between more than 1 team, so therefore he has the leverage.

Right. Coffey would probably get something around 1.5-2MM in a free market.

Ohlman signed for $995,000

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=1634

The Orioles have signed 11th-round pick Michael Ohlman for $995,000. With Ohlman and 22nd-rounder Cameron Coffey (who got $990,000), Baltimore has paid the two highest bonuses known after the 10th round this year.

A catcher from Lakewood Ranch High (Bradenton, Fla.), Ohlman stands out for his power, athleticism and arm strength. He had committed to Miami.

Wow, let's hope these guys pan out. That's a lot of coin to spend on these guys, but I'm glad that that we're at least taking a chance. Really, my only complaint about this year's draft is the inability to sign Mychal Givens, but there's an outside chance that something gets worked out.

Craw, do you think his power plays at RF? I doubt that there would be any question about his athletic ability or arm out there.

I hope he can stick behind the plate, but with his frame I think he might be better off at a corner position. I think Ohlman would be best suited for 3rd base in the long run.

Craw, do you think his power plays at RF? I doubt that there would be any question about his athletic ability or arm out there.

I hope he can stick behind the plate, but with his frame I think he might be better off at a corner position. I think Ohlman would be best suited for 3rd base in the long run.

My hope is he can play third, but that remains to be seen. I think right is more likely. Power? I do not think he would be a typical power right fielder. I think he has plus potential, not a plus plus.

Archived