Did Scott hit the Warehouse?

Jagwar

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as an aside, since there is no camera out on Eutaw Street, exactly how do they place those little markers where balls have landed out there? I'm going tonight and I'm going to see whether they've marked where Luke's ball hit. But I don't believe there is any spot on Eutaw Street that is only 382 feet from home plate.

Just as an aside, since there is no camera out on Eutaw Street, exactly how do they place those little markers where balls have landed out there? I'm going tonight and I'm going to see whether they've marked where Luke's ball hit. But I don't believe there is any spot on Eutaw Street that is only 382 feet from home plate.

Good point. Maybe Boog runs over there and marks it with some BBQ sauce.

I can't beleive Thorne and Martinez didn't even mention the warehouse in the broadcast. I would have at least like to see the two of them interested, perhaps arguing. THe kept showing the guy with the ball. COuldn't the post game have interviewed that guy.

The warehouse has never been hit. Huff made a bid earlier in the season to little fanfare or discussion. It just seems like something that the club/MASN should be way into.

Frankly, the biggest reason I watch so many September at bats is a fear of missing the first warehouse shot.

An employee goes to the spot where the ball hit while someone from the front office brings down a map to mark the spot. They don't mark it on the street until the plaque is placed in the offseason.

For whatever its worth, HitTracker shows the distance as 382 feet. You can see all of Luke's HR's here.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail.php?id=2009_251&type=hitter

I'm not saying its exactly right, but I will say that here in upstate new york, we get bad snow storms that are 8-10 inches of snow. When I was a kid they used to be 36 inches of snow, every day.

Roch responding to an overexcited commenter:

Os Commenter said:

Did you see LUKE SCOTT hit the WAREHOUSE?! FROM THE REPLAY I'M SURE OF IT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. 412 feet won't get it done. Pretty close, though. - Roch

September 2, 2009 1:10 AM

Roch responding to an overexcited commenter:

Os Commenter said:

Did you see LUKE SCOTT hit the WAREHOUSE?! FROM THE REPLAY I'M SURE OF IT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. 412 feet won't get it done. Pretty close, though. - Roch

September 2, 2009 1:10 AM

Well, 412 feet is believable, 382 simply isn't.

Because the laws of physics aren't believable?
What are you talking about? Those numbers are just estimates. Its not like they get an exact measurement of the trajectory of the ball, its speed, where it travels through the air, how much drag is on the ball, how much it is spinning. They don't put in heavily complicated CFD analysis. They are just fun estimates. Don't put more stock into them than what they are. They can be wrong.

What are you talking about? Those numbers are just estimates. Its not like they get an exact measurement of the trajectory of the ball, its speed, where it travels through the air, how much drag is on the ball, how much it is spinning. They don't put in heavily complicated CFD analysis. They are just fun estimates. Don't put more stock into them than what they are. They can be wrong.

That is exactly the numbers they get. They get the angle of the ball off the bat. They get the speed of the ball off the bat. They time the hang time of the ball through the air. They make adjustments for spin and drag on the ball. They even take into account the Temperature, ballpark altitude, and wind speed. This isn't some kids site.

That is exactly the numbers they get. They get the angle of the ball off the bat. They get the speed of the ball off the bat. They time the hang time of the ball through the air. They make adjustments for spin and drag on the ball. They even take into account the Temperature, ballpark altitude, and wind speed. This isn't some kids site.
Its still an estimate. They can't get detailed enough information to get an exact number. It can be wrong. Wind speed varies, drag is incredibly complicated, many of those measurables they measure aren't actually measured, but estimated.

All of their calculations are based off of estimations, if those estimations are slightly off, which they all are, then it just snowballs.

Its a great tool, but don't take it as a fact. The numbers can be off from reality.

Its still an estimate. They can't get detailed enough information to get an exact number. It can be wrong. Wind speed varies, drag is incredibly complicated, many of those measurables they measure aren't actually measured, but estimated.

All of their calculations are based off of estimations, if those estimations are slightly off, which they all are, then it just snowballs.

Its a great tool, but don't take it as a fact.

Oh sure. It probably is off the +/- 5 feet. But it sure isn't off by 20/30/40 feet.

Oh sure. It probably is off the +/- 5 feet. But it sure isn't off by 20/30/40 feet.
It certainly can be. If they are estimating there as being a lot of wind, but then it just happened that the 10-15 mph wind died down for a bit, that would make a huge difference.

If their estimates for the trajectory are off, that would make a huge difference.

There are all sorts of places things can get wrong, usually those things will cancel out, but its also very possibly to have them all go wrong in the same direction, greatly increasing or decreasing the estimate from the actual distance.

Archived