2010 Draft Position Race

Yeah, most of the Boras clients do sign. But those signings occur with teams that will deal with Boras clients. Are we a team that will draft a Boras client?

Bigbird has said several times, AM does not deal with Boras clients. Wieters and Arrieta were drafted under the Duquette era and AM was going to let Wieters go until Angelos stepped in. We have Harper, Ranaudo, and LeVon Washington as Boras "clients" at least.

Probably shouldn't go into this, don't want to make this thread a AP thread.

Ackley was a Boras client, right? I remember Hobgood said that the O's told him we'd pick Ackley over him if Ackley was still available at the fifth pick. I think this shows that we're willing to deal with Boras, but only for the right talent.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ackley was a Boras client, right? I remember Hobgood said that the O's told him we'd pick Ackley over him if Ackley was still available at the fifth pick. I think this shows that we're willing to deal with Boras, but only for the right talent.

Exactly, thats what Im thinking (and I forgot about us wanting Ackley), but if there are 2 equal talents, one a Boras guy and the other advised by someone else, JJ is gonna go for the non-Boras client. But in a situation like in 2009 when there were only 2 elite draftees and both Boras clients, you gotta do what it takes to get the talent into the system. IMO do what it takes to get the proper talent. At the time the player signs, its a big deal, it was a big deal when WIeters signed and Im sure AM wasnt happy giving out that much money, but now that Wieters is up and hes gonna help us achieve a playoff run, that $6mill means nothing. Shoot, if we gave Wieters $10 mm and we won the WS, that $10 mm means absolutely nothing.

If it takes $6 mil to get Taillon, then wed better get sign him, because hes worth it. I am worried though that if Harper's asking price is somewhere in the $15mil range, and if Taillon is sitting there asking $6-8 mil, Taillon suddenly looks like a #1 pick to me. That big of a price difference and IMO very little difference in talent if any.

Exactly, thats what Im thinking (and I forgot about us wanting Ackley), but if there are 2 equal talents, one a Boras guy and the other advised by someone else, JJ is gonna go for the non-Boras client. But in a situation like in 2009 when there were only 2 elite draftees and both Boras clients, you gotta do what it takes to get the talent into the system. IMO do what it takes to get the proper talent. At the time the player signs, its a big deal, it was a big deal when WIeters signed and Im sure AM wasnt happy giving out that much money, but now that Wieters is up and hes gonna help us achieve a playoff run, that $6mill means nothing. Shoot, if we gave Wieters $10 mm and we won the WS, that $10 mm means absolutely nothing.

If it takes $6 mil to get Taillon, then wed better get sign him, because hes worth it. I am worried though that if Harper's asking price is somewhere in the $15mil range, and if Taillon is sitting there asking $6-8 mil, Taillon suddenly looks like a #1 pick to me. That big of a price difference and IMO very little difference in talent if any.

I don't think you'll see Harper more than double the record for a position player. I think $8M - 10M is most likely.

Signing -- same issue with Strasburg.

Ahh, yeah, Id agree with that, Id guess hed get somewhere between 8 and 10 mil. Im sure he will be asking for $15 or more mil. I just dont see him getting that much, I dont think he has as much leverage as Strasburg either. Its no secret that Harper wants to get his pro career going(evidenced by him dropping out of HS and getting his GED so he can go to JuCo and get signed). Strasburg could have went back for another year, I dont remember him specifically saying or doing anything drastic like Harper has to give the teams the leverage.

I agree hearing AM say that. I just would like to see it done. Just going off the info that we haven't drafted one since Wieters and Arrieta. Also, I know a lot of people don't like Bigbird. But he has provided a lot of good info over the past several years stated several times. Again, I hope my fears are proven wrong because I get we all don't know. Put me as cautiously optimistic.

Damn the Royals blew the lead.

Ahh, yeah, Id agree with that, Id guess hed get somewhere between 8 and 10 mil. Im sure he will be asking for $15 or more mil. I just dont see him getting that much, I dont think he has as much leverage as Strasburg either. Its no secret that Harper wants to get his pro career going(evidenced by him dropping out of HS and getting his GED so he can go to JuCo and get signed). Strasburg could have went back for another year, I dont remember him specifically saying or doing anything drastic like Harper has to give the teams the leverage.

Harper will have just as much leverage as Strasburg had. I believe there was very little chance of him going back to college and putting that number of innings under his belt and risking injury. He would have gone the route that other college pitchers have gone, indy league where he could be showcased but limited short term injuries.

Harper going the Juco route to be eligible for the draft earlier just gives him more leverage, not less. He has the ability to go back into the draft year after year (hopefully not the Matt Harrington route :)). Technically if he didn't sign next year, he could be coming out his true high school year in 2011. So he would be 18 years old if he went back into the draft compared to Strasburg, who would be a 22 year old pitcher, pitcher being the difference.

The big leverage point that Strasburg had vs Harper is that Washington didn't sign Crow the previous year. Could they afford to pass on the 1st round pick again? They have less pressure to sign Harper this year you could say. But another year of a last place finish and brand new empty stadium doesn't help that case also.

I am not saying Harper is all that, but I think his age and the ability to go back into the draft again easily helps him out.

Harper will have just as much leverage as Strasburg had. I believe there was very little chance of him going back to college and putting that number of innings under his belt and risking injury. He would have gone the route that other college pitchers have gone, indy league where he could be showcased but limited short term injuries.

Harper going the Juco route to be eligible for the draft earlier just gives him more leverage, not less. He has the ability to go back into the draft year after year (hopefully not the Matt Harrington route :)). Technically if he didn't sign next year, he could be coming out his true high school year in 2011. So he would be 18 years old if he went back into the draft compared to Strasburg, who would be a 22 year old pitcher, pitcher being the difference.

The big leverage point that Strasburg had vs Harper is that Washington didn't sign Crow the previous year. Could they afford to pass on the 1st round pick again? They have less pressure to sign Harper this year you could say. But another year of a last place finish and brand new empty stadium doesn't help that case also.

I am not saying Harper is all that, but I think his age and the ability to go back into the draft again easily helps him out.

True, but his age and lack of track record will also likely prevent him from getting Strasburg money. He'll be compared to HS position players in the past, most likely.

I think the whole reason he did this a year early is because there is a very good chance you are going to see some kind of rookie salary cap/slot system in 2011, so if he didn't come out this year, he'd be costing himself millions.

I think the whole reason he did this a year early is because there is a very good chance you are going to see some kind of rookie salary cap/slot system in 2011, so if he didn't come out this year, he'd be costing himself millions.

Hmmmm, never thought of that. That makes some sense too.....

Maybe . . . but isnt the collective bargaining agreement over after 2011 . . . which means it would not be in effect until 2012? I could have my dates wrong.

Maybe . . . but isnt the collective bargaining agreement over after 2011 . . . which means it would not be in effect until 2012? I could have my dates wrong.

I thought 2010 was the last year and the new one takes effect at the beginning of the 2011 season, meaning the draft would fall under that. Could be wrong, but I know they are really trying to push this stuff through right now, and might be willing to concede some major things to the players union in order to get the rookie wages and international stuff locked down.

Archived