Open letter to Andy McPhail

section18

Not only does he not understand this, he also doesn't even watch the actual ballgames. Apparently, neither MLB-EI nor mlb.com fit with his idea following the team from afar. Yet, despite not even watching the games, he seems to know the finer points of what happens both on the field and off.

I'm not going to invest in the team as far as that goes until they put a winning product on the field.

I still buy merchandise and I still make one trip a year down to OPACY.

But I can watch them lose from Gamecast for free just as well as paying $100 or more and seeing the video feed.

If MacPhail invests in a winning product on the field, I'll commit to watching games live. That's a promise.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not going to invest in the team as far as that goes until they put a winning product on the field.

I still buy merchandise and I still make one trip a year down to OPACY.

But I can watch them lose from Gamecast for free just as well as paying $100 or more and seeing the video feed.

If MacPhail invests in a winning product on the field, I'll commit to watching games live. That's a promise.

No, you cannot watch them just as well on Gamecast. That's a loony thing to say. If you think you can, that's just more proof that you don't understand baseball.

I can't believe that anybody would spend money on over-priced "merchandise" but not watch the team play. In what parallel universe does that make any sense? Can someone not-named-JTrea explain this to me?

He'll lose *those* tickets, yes. Will he miss out on buying a different set of tickets at a later date? I really doubt it. We're talking about a team that sells half the tickets they did a dozen years ago. They'll take his money and roll out the orange carpet.
I gotta believe that if I called the O's today wanting to buy a season ticket plan, I could, and probably get pretty good seats too!

You're both within the same zip code as my point, but you're still not there. Nobody is going to be turned away by the Orioles because they're an ex-season ticket holder, but S18's tickets are really good and if he gives them up whatever he replaces them with won't be comparable.

So you don't think there will be any improvement from the kids?

I dont expect it to be monumental. If the Orioles do little or nothing to upgrade the team... and dont mean more mid tier (Wiggington type guys) the Orioles may improve a handful ...Heck we might only lose 90. But will the improvement of Tillman, Matusz, & Wieters be signifigant ... Will Bergy & Reimold come back healthy? Can Jones stay healthy (not so far in 2 seasons) I think his injuries especially the Hammy's are a real concern. Especially at his position.

I thought this thread had gone away and I'm sure there are a few who can't wait until it does. Hopefully AM will invite the season ticket holders to a meeting downtown to discuss the coming season in 2010. That was a key part of my opening comments. People who spend thousands of dollars should have an opportunity to listen and ask questions about the future of the team. They have been having these just before the season starts days at OP where you sit in the stands and try to ask questions and hear him answer. It seems it's always a cold windy day when they do this. They can afford to have an event in the Baltimore Arena.

I'm not sure how many season ticket holders there are but to hold the numbers down they could invite only the full season and 29 game plan holders. It could be done like a rally with the Ravens cheerleaders there dressed in Oriole colors. If we wait until after the Winter Trade meetings maybe will have obtained some power hitters or signed them as free agents along with a veteran starter or two and a closer. They can have them appear on stage with AM and DT. Just something for them to think about.

I thought this thread had gone away and I'm sure there are a few who can't wait until it does. Hopefully AM will invite the season ticket holders to a meeting downtown to discuss the coming season in 2010. That was a key part of my opening comments. People who spend thousands of dollars should have an opportunity to listen and ask questions about the future of the team. They have been having these just before the season starts days at OP where you sit in the stands and try to ask questions and hear him answer. It seems it's always a cold windy day when they do this. They can afford to have an event in the Baltimore Arena.

I'm not sure how many season ticket holders there are but to hold the numbers down they could invite only the full season and 29 game plan holders. It could be done like a rally with the Ravens cheerleaders there dressed in Oriole colors. If we wait until after the Winter Trade meetings maybe will have obtained some power hitters or signed them as free agents along with a veteran starter or two and a closer. They can have them appear on stage with AM and DT. Just something for them to think about.

Dont hold your breath;) They will certainly have fan fest & you will be able to gauge his off season by then... But they'll already have your $3000.

Really! Don't even have a clue......about what. Evaluating people? I asked the question "How many teams would hire DT to be their manager?" Not one answer so far. This isn't about how far we have come under AM. Some on here seem to be confusing our progress and the development of our farm system with the managers competency and his coaches. These are two separate issues. We lose 13 games in a row....no big deal......and are close to losing 100 games.....are 41 games out of first and we reward our manager. I happen to disagree with this decision and you are entitled to your opinion. Every team has players that get injured during a season and have off seasons like Huff but our season was over before Sherrill and Huff were moved. Don't use their trades and Jones injury as the reason this team slumped so badly. Jones wsn't doing anything after the All-Star game and Pie actually did a pretty darn good job. I'm not sure Jones would have had better numbers. That was a wash.

It's interesting the number of regulars on here who in the last few weeks were in favor of a change at the top who have gone silent or got on the AM bandwagon in support of this move. When I heard yesterday that AM had already made a decision to extend I was about to get in my car to drive to last night's game. I intended to go to the game but decided not to. I wanted to hear the reaction from fans and writers around town on the radio instead. One Sun writer said he was shocked at the decision. I wonder why? I am surprised more of DT'S supporters aren't upset with Andy for not giving him a 3 or 5 year deal for $10 million. How can a guy work on a 1 year deal?

I'm still waiting......which ML team would hire DT to be their manager? There aren't any. I'll answer my own question. DT is a good organization guy for any team and can manage a Norfolk or Bowie team. He probably could do a good job with helping to get the new Spring Training complex fixed up for the team being a Florida resident and based on his experience in the minor leagues for a number of years.

How do you think the press in Boston, NY, Chicago, LA, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Atlanta, San Francisco, Arizona......that's enough....would handle the story here in Baltimore. I bet the GM'S and managers in NY, Boston, Tampa and Toronto sent Andy and DT a letter of congratulations last night. They are all probably jumping for joy.

I can not answer your question about DT. I don't know. But who would you hire as the manager for the O's? Who is available? You beleive LaRussa would want to manage the O's? Lou Pienalla? Why not give DT another chance with a better team for 2010?

Archived