CNN/SI: Gibbons received shipments of steriods

The Azman

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To rational people that look at these players and human beings it really isn't a big deal. To those that think they're perfect and can do no wrong then yeah, I could see where this could present a problem.

Well said. Most people will be able to accept it as fact. Doesn't bother me a bit anymore.

I agree with a lot of the logic on here, that possibly dozens or hundreds of players took enhancing drugs. What about the Pittsburgh Steelers teams of the 70s that dominated everybody? Jim Haslett publicly has said he and the entire team took them. I don't see many witch hunts in process trying to take away their stats and rings.

I agree with a lot of the logic on here, that possibly dozens or hundreds of players took enhancing drugs. What about the Pittsburgh Steelers teams of the 70s that dominated everybody? Jim Haslett publicly has said he and the entire team took them. I don't see many witch hunts in process trying to take away their stats and rings.

Exactly, it doesn't make it right, but it is just an accepted thing. I really could care less if these guys were users. I watch Baseball to be entertained for a few hours. I don't need these guys to be my friends or my moral compass. Just play ball. None of this bothers me.

If everyone passes their drug tests now, I don't care too much what *may* have happened back then.

Back when? Back AFTER they made the drugs illegal? I mean you can't even use the excuse that they weren't illegal in Baseball with this one because there were when the shipment took place.

If you're going to do it fine, just be smart about it. I mean what did the address label say?

Jay Gibbons

C/O Baltimore Orioles

Maybe this will convince the Orioles to release him...

That's my first thought. This is going to sound cold, but this might help us to drop Gibbons' contract, like what we did with Ponson after that DUI. And getting rid of Gibbons is just fine with me.

Exactly, it doesn't make it right, but it is just an accepted thing. I really could care less if these guys were users. I watch Baseball to be entertained for a few hours. I don't need these guys to be my friends or my moral compass. Just play ball. None of this bothers me.

Very good post. I'm from Maryland and enjoy baseball, so I'm an O's fan. I certainly don't love any of the players on the team despite the fact that I watch them nearly every night and stick by them while watching the O's flounder nearly all of my life. I'll always root for the O's but I do think it is a bit silly how our society places celebrities on such a pedestal and cares about their opinions on things that don't concern their profession. It's unfortunate that steroids were/are so prevalent in sports but when there's 20 million reasons for a likely career minor leaguer to take these drugs, it easy to see the reason for that prevalence.

They really need to do more sophisticated testing like blood testing which they apparently don't do. Pee testing is easy to beat and the right "agents" can be easily found for masking steroids. Trust me on this one, I work out w/bodybuilders who know how this is done, its not hard.

I believe it was ESPN.com and a story by Olney that said that apparently HGH is becoming popular again despite all this hulabaloo. Scouts are marveling at how guys are starting to get bigger again. Why? Apparently the pee testing doesn't catch HGH. Here's the exerpt from that article:

Here's another way it's like 1998 all over again: There are whispers all over the place in baseball that the use of performance-enhancing drugs is growing rapidly. Back then it was steroids, and now it's HGH. Scouts who watch players daily say the bodies of some players are inexplicably increasing in size, again; team executives are privately fretting about whether to invest in players they think might be using; and players quietly speak of the quandary they face -- take the stuff and keep up with some other players, or don't take the stuff and face a competitive disadvantage.

The institution of baseball is doing far more to cope with the use of performance-enhancing drugs than it was in 1998, but it is not doing all that it can. There is a testing system in place, but everybody knows how to beat it. HGH is banned, but baseball tests only urine, and with current science, the only possible deterrence would be to collect blood, the way the Olympics do, and to warn the players that some day -- that day when a commercially marketed test for HGH is available -- their blood will be tested.

It doesn't really bother me either. These guys make their living w/their bodies, not their brains. I don't blame them for taking an edge.

Now if they are driving a school bus w/kids on it, then I would have a problem....

Very good post. I'm from Maryland and enjoy baseball, so I'm an O's fan. I certainly don't love any of the players on the team despite the fact that I watch them nearly every night and stick by them while watching the O's flounder nearly all of my life. I'll always root for the O's but I do think it is a bit silly how our society places celebrities on such a pedestal and cares about their opinions on things that don't concern their profession. It's unfortunate that steroids were/are so prevalent in sports but when there's 20 million reasons for a likely career minor leaguer to take these drugs, it easy to see the reason for that prevalence.

Thanks man. I agree, I've been an Orioles fan my whole life and that will never change. I have my favorites like anyone would, but nothing surprises me at all, nor should it. I don't care if these guys used steroids to become better players. In fact, if it made the game better to watch, then I'm fine with it. Like I said, I watch sports to be entertained, to escape from whatever stresses my life throws at me.

Back when? Back AFTER they made the drugs illegal? I mean you can't even use the excuse that they weren't illegal in Baseball with this one because there were when the shipment took place.

If you're going to do it fine, just be smart about it. I mean what did the address label say?

Jay Gibbons

C/O Baltimore Orioles

I mean if it came out years ago that a guy was expected in using is one thing...but if the guys are passing their tests after they've been implemented is another story.

As long as they aren't using the roids after they've been banned, who cares what they did beforehand. Just my opinion...

Archived