What adjustments do you think AM will make to contend in this division?

Sports Guy

I think it is going to be a disappointing offseason.

At the very least this offseason, I want to see a long term SS answer acquired and I want to see a very solid 2/3 type starter added, either in trade or FA.

I want to see Scott and Guthrie dealt if there is a good market for them.

If he does those things I would not consider it disappointing. The guns just aren't there this offseason.

I think Lackey is in Boston or New York next year, my money is on Boston. Harden might be out there. I like the idea of rehabbing Justin Duchsherer [sic] He has depression issues but he definitely has talent and a near TOR arm. He is a free agent and I would rather put a guy in therapy then try to hope a shoulder doesn't blow out.

Yeah, that was kind of glib about a very serious issue, but the point remains. If he is out there I would rather go after he than Bedard. Duke is older than I would like, but if he can get his head on straight he is an all-star caliber arm that could come super-cheap.

Long-term SS are a different story. I would like to see what happens to Iwamura, if he ends up on the market I would go after him for third. If Bell plays his way on to the team then try to move Izturis and slide Aki over - or, move Aki. He would probably come with a cheaper commitment than Figgins. He plays solid D and would be an offensive upgrade, though still a lack of power at the corner while we cross our fingers for Bell.

This will be a quite offseason, no big splash moves. But, there are still plenty of moves that can be made that could have a real positive impact on this team.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Disappointing by your own standards? Or for the "I hope we get a big name" crowd?

I see at least 2 of those 4 items happening (Scott trade, pitcher acquired), Guts I think will be shopped as well...I don't think he'll do SS until mid-season...plus I think a bat is coming for 1B/DH.

Mine...i don't care about the standards of others. :D

If he does those things I would not consider it disappointing. The guns just aren't there this offseason.

I think Lackey is in Boston or New York next year, my money is on Boston. Harden might be out there. I like the idea of rehabbing Justin Duchsherer [sic] He has depression issues but he definitely has talent and a near TOR arm. He is a free agent and I would rather put a guy in therapy then try to hope a shoulder doesn't blow out.

Yeah, that was kind of glib about a very serious issue, but the point remains. If he is out there I would rather go after he than Bedard. Duke is older than I would like, but if he can get his head on straight he is an all-star caliber arm that could come super-cheap.

Long-term SS are a different story. I would like to see what happens to Iwamura, if he ends up on the market I would go after him for third. If Bell plays his way on to the team then try to move Izturis and slide Aki over - or, move Aki. He would probably come with a cheaper commitment than Figgins. He plays solid D and would be an offensive upgrade, though still a lack of power at the corner while we cross our fingers for Bell.

This will be a quite offseason, no big splash moves. But, there are still plenty of moves that can be made that could have a real positive impact on this team.

Neither would I...But I don't think he will do them.

I think it is going to be a disappointing offseason.

At the very least this offseason, I want to see a long term SS answer acquired and I want to see a very solid 2/3 type starter added, either in trade or FA.

I want to see Scott and Guthrie dealt if there is a good market for them.

If Guthrie is kept, one could argue that there won't likely be much of a difference compared to what you want.

Ha, fair enough.

Why are you pessimistic tho...you don't seem to think FA is viable at this point...you just don't think he'll get any of those things done?

I just don't see him trading Guthrie....I don't think he will see SS as a priority and I don't think he will do what it takes to get a good starter unless he can pick up a cheap option like Duscherer.

Scott he may trade but right now, I think he is our starting first baseman.

You could argue that..but I would disagree...of course, that depends on what they get back for Guthrie.

Well you've basically said you want a decent innings eater, well it is reasonable to think Guthrie can do that. If it's not, don't expect much of a return in a trade.

Who do you want to fill that role?

I just don't see him trading Guthrie....I don't think he will see SS as a priority and I don't think he will do what it takes to get a good starter unless he can pick up a cheap option like Duscherer.

Scott he may trade but right now, I think he is our starting first baseman.

Obviously all plausible...but this just seems like the type of off-season where McPhail would do some positive things.

It's an off-season that requires the continued collecting of talent and tinkering...what he's good at...as you point out.

Not the "next step" type off-season where he needs to make that get you over the hump move.

Adding a good starter, adding a bridge corner bat, upgrading the pen, moving trade pieces like Scott/Guts....that's right in line with his M.O.

I think he'll do just fine....altho I agree SS is not getting addressed til at least mid-way point...

Well you've basically said you want a decent innings eater, well it is reasonable to think Guthrie can do that. If it's not, don't expect much of a return in a trade.

Who do you want to fill that role?

I would like Harden...but there are plenty of other guys...Justin D, Vazquez, harang...just to name a few.

I would like Harden...but there are plenty of other guys...Justin D, Vazquez, harang...just to name a few.

Well obviously I want Harden too, but he doesn't fit the criteria of an innings eater that you mentioned before.

I don't see the point of trading good talent for Vazquez or anyone else that is only signed for next year. I'm eh towards Harang, and Justin D is a decent option depending on what it would take to sign him.

Well obviously I want Harden too, but he doesn't fit the criteria of an innings eater that you mentioned before.

I don't see the point of trading good talent for Vazquez or anyone else that is only signed for next year. I'm eh towards Harang, and Justin D is a decent option depending on what it would take to sign him.

Depends on what you have to trade...he will be worth 2 draft picks in all likelihood.

Depends on what you have to trade...he will be worth 2 draft picks in all likelihood.

He probably will, but I'd rather have close to major league ready prospects or guys that would already be on the O's than the 2 draft picks even if they otherwise have equal value, which is highly doubtful.

Plus if he does well, and the team is on the verge of contending, wouldn't we want to keep him? So no picks if that happens.

Archived