Draft Chat - Rounds 1-5

bigbird

Draft takes so long. I was in draft room last year, and it was so tense. I wanted to scream to tell them who to draft. Wanted them to draft a friend. I had to leave to go to a game, and they were only in round 5. Seems like it is going much more quickly this year.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the skinny on Henson:

Tyler Henson is one of the most athletic shortstops in the Midwest, which could get him drafted between the sixth and 10th rounds despite questions about his bat. Six-foot-2 and 190 pounds, he quarterbacked Tuttle High to a 14-0 record and the Class 3-A football title, then led the baseball team to the Class 4-A championship, earning the win as a pitcher in the finale. His speed and arm strength are plus tools, and he has good actions at shortstop. He also offers pop, though scouts worry about his approach at the plate. Though he committed to Arkansas, he's expected to sign if he goes in the first 10 rounds. If not, he could attend Connors State as a draft-and-follow. The Royals have scouted Henson more heavily than any other club.

Well at least Baltimore FINALLY has a quarterback. :D

You had the info ready before my post even hit the boards! Nicely done.

Now if you can guess who we're taking next and get his info up before Jordan even makes the pick, then i'll be impressed!

I'll try. How about this guy:

Drew Miller, rhp; Seminole State (Okla.) JC.; R-R.;6-3; 180.

The skinny:

Seminole State, which has produced big league pitchers Eric Cyr, Ryan Franklin, Eric Gagne and Robert Person, had a wealth of talent on the mound this spring. Eight Trojans are under control as draft-and-follows, most notably Miller. Few pitchers in this draft can match his ability to hold plus velocity for nine innings. He has a 92-96 mph fastball, and he closed out one outing by throwing 95 on his 103rd pitch and 96 on his 104th and last. Miller is basically all arm strength right now. He doesn't have much in the way of secondary pitches. His slider is better than his curve but is still rudimentary, and his changeup lags further behind. His feel for pitching, control and command also need work. A 37th-round pick of the Padres in 2005, Miller may be a tougher sign than most juco players because he has committed to attend the University of Virginia. His cousin Brad Miller, a shortstop at Cowley County Junior College, is the top juco position player in Kansas and one of the best in the draft.

OR how about this guy:

Bryan Casey, rhp/3b; Arizona Western JC.;Yuma, Ariz.

B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 200. Birthdate: 6/5/86.

Skinny: Coaches and area scouts admired Casey for his strong season at Arizona Western, which he has attended for two years, and many considered him the No. 2 junior college prospect in the state after Yavapai's Milton Loo. The Orioles drafted Casey in the 43rd round in 2004 as a catcher out of Yuma's Kofa High, and Casey both caught and pitched in 2005. The Royals drafted him last year, and his pitching (and bat) came alive this spring when he moved to third base when not pitching. Casey has a strong body that makes several clubs interested in him as a position player; he hit .382 and ranked among league leaders in batting, home runs, total bases and hits this spring. He could be an outstanding two-way college player and had committed to Ed Sprague's program at Pacific. But most scouts, reticent to talk about players under control to other clubs, didn't expect Casey to be an amateur much longer. His 92-93 mph fastball touched 95 at times this season, and he was still in the 90s in the seventh inning of work (he threw 95 pitches) in an 18-inning playoff loss. His slider is a solid secondary pitch, and he controls both pitches due to his excellent athletic ability. Casey's delivery has some effort to it, so he profiles as a reliever, but he could be an impact closer if he continues to show aptitude on the mound.

Look closely, we drafted him in 2004.

Here's the skinny on Henson:

Tyler Henson is one of the most athletic shortstops in the Midwest, which could get him drafted between the sixth and 10th rounds despite questions about his bat. Six-foot-2 and 190 pounds, he quarterbacked Tuttle High to a 14-0 record and the Class 3-A football title, then led the baseball team to the Class 4-A championship, earning the win as a pitcher in the finale. His speed and arm strength are plus tools, and he has good actions at shortstop. He also offers pop, though scouts worry about his approach at the plate. Though he committed to Arkansas, he's expected to sign if he goes in the first 10 rounds. If not, he could attend Connors State as a draft-and-follow. The Royals have scouted Henson more heavily than any other club.

Perhaps the Orioles see him as a pitcher?? He can throw the ball some. With all the infielders drafted, I'm curious to see how they play this one.

Archived